Randy's WHITE Les Paul

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Randy's WHITE Les Paul

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I love seeing this guitar white instead of yellow... I prefer it white.

BowTie29
Cool Member

Re: Randy's WHITE Les Paul

Post by BowTie29 »

Wow did it ever age so much in a few short years, I've seen some 30 years old that aged less, that smoke and California sun can do wonders to a guitar. I personally love it aged and worn looking
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

BowTie29 wrote:Wow did it ever age so much in a few short years, I've seen some 30 years old that aged less, that smoke and California sun can do wonders to a guitar. I personally love it aged and worn looking

The ultraviolet rays from the sun and randy smoking
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

wasn't that what he said? ;)
anyway, whatever wear and tear a guidar has makes it much cooler :)
ever seen the Rory Gallagher guitar? ;)
dinomite
Cool Member

Post by dinomite »

I definitely fall in the group of liking beat up guitars and I like Randy's guitar worn with the Creme colour. The pictures I've seen from the Gibson aged Replica they did a few years back showed how much buckle rash the guitar had taken as well. It all only adds to character.

Although I'm not a fan of Rory Gallagher, I have seen his guitar before and it looked fucked! Virtually no original paint what so ever!

Not to go too far off topic but it also reminds me of Chris Holmes of WASP and his Yellowstar Guitar: http://www.jacksonguitarpalace.com/chri ... owstar.htm
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

dinomite wrote:Not to go too far off topic but it also reminds me of Chris Holmes of WASP and his Yellowstar Guitar:
http://www.jacksonguitarpalace.com/chri ... owstar.htm
That guitar looks like s#*t! He should have retired it many years ago. Of course I've never thought of Chris Holmes and intelligent at the same time.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Randy's damage is from the belts and studs. The others look like neglect or self-inflicted. I was never a big fan of that guitar of Rory's. It was always going out of tune if you have seen him live. It's looks as if someone had used it to paddle a canoe or to wash ones backside with, in the bath. Nothing against Rory or his playing.
RRforeveRR

Post by RRforeveRR »

Perhaps it's only me, but I wonder if Randy didn't have multiple Les Pauls in various white/vanilla/cream colors- but then again it's been mentioned time and time again that the man smoked like a frickken chimney so it's probably the smoke that caused the yellowing. Also, on the multiple LP thing, I can see him having multiple LPs because it's often been said that Randy had a penchant for buying axes in pawn shops- but I think that was once he became established.
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

There are QR videos of him with almost matching guitars, I made a thread before, but was told it was one he borrowed from a student, it was nearly identical either than that it had a black pickup selector ring.
RRforeveRR

Post by RRforeveRR »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
dinomite wrote:Not to go too far off topic but it also reminds me of Chris Holmes of WASP and his Yellowstar Guitar:
http://www.jacksonguitarpalace.com/chri ... owstar.htm
That guitar looks like s#*t! He should have retired it many years ago. Of course I've never thought of Chris Holmes and intelligent at the same time.
My favorite pic of Chris and his axe is the last shot, where he is on the toilet- I immediately thought "how fiitting!" But that's just me, perhaps? lol I'll stop with the dissing now. Just had to share that random thought with everyone here.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

dinomite wrote:
Not to go too far off topic but it also reminds me of Chris Holmes of WASP and his Yellowstar Guitar:
did you miss my thread :lol: :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8282
dinomite
Cool Member

Post by dinomite »

Sorry mate! Yeah I don't stray too far from the 'General' section of the site.

That's one nice looking axe! Can't believe you actually set it on fire! Nice work!
RRForever

Post by RRForever »

randy will never die wrote:
BowTie29 wrote:Wow did it ever age so much in a few short years, I've seen some 30 years old that aged less, that smoke and California sun can do wonders to a guitar. I personally love it aged and worn looking

Did Randy smoke? I didn't know that.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

RRForever wrote:
randy will never die wrote:

Did Randy smoke? I didn't know that.
he did. from age 7-8.
I read a story from Bob once where he explained how he and Ozzy would go outside running while recording
and the few times Randy tagged along, he almost immediately dropped out because he was short of breath.