Randy thought Jimmy Page had sloppy playing? Listen.........

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: Randy thought Jimmy Page had sloppy playing? Listen.....

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Zeppelin are a band who you cannot really put down, as they know if they went on stage and did a poor gig, they'd still go down well with the crowd. I couldn't imagine Pagey getting heckled and boooeyd off after dropping a few bum notes. Me brother went to see them in 1979 at the first Knebworth gig he was a big fan and only 16 at the time, but my parents let him go to the gig. Sadly i was 14 and not 'gig ready' :-( . When me bro came home he'd had a great time with his pals etc. But Zeppelin didn't live up to his expectations, they didn't do a very good gig. He said Todd Rundgren was awesome and Jim Steinman came on stage and did the 'Meatloaf Bat out of hell' guitar solo with Todd. Which sounded awesome. The Knebworth gig was videod and it took years to get officially released and when it did, it had been tweaked and overdubbed. With the worst songs being missing from the package. I heard an audio bootleg from the show at the time and it did sound rough and sloppy.
Fast forward to the last gig LZ played at the o2 arena in London. One of my pals was hyped up for the gig and it was the same story. An overpriced sold out gig with support bands who made Zeppelin look like a poor headlining band.
One Pagey show that sticks in my mind was the gig he did with Robert Plant in 1991 at Knebworth. Pagey came on to do a couple of Zep numbers and he sounded like a cat being tortured. After Plant had done an amazing set with his band 'Tall Cool One' 'Liars Dance' 'Tie dye on the highway' great tracks. If one player isn't up to scratch its normaly a knock on effect for the rest of the band to go downhill. The press being the first ones to forget how they've done 1000's of mint shows but they'll always be remembered for that handful of gigs that the band would gladly forget.
Zakk Daniels
Mass Poster

Post by Zakk Daniels »

I think Jimmy Page kicks ass!! He sounds sloppy, but that is part of his charm as a player. His style is great in my opinion. Love Led Zeppelin!!!!!!!!!
Work Sucks!! Thats why I am on here reading posts!!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

mojopin70 wrote:load of bollocks i loved the way Page played /plays....
sloppy doesn't equal bad... I love everything Zeppelin did.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe wrote:sloppy doesn't equal bad...
Exactly :!:
Some people would even say sloppy equals more feeling and accuracy equals no feeling,
but that's another discussion ;)
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

Zakk Daniels wrote:I think Jimmy Page kicks ass!! He sounds sloppy, but that is part of his charm as a player. His style is great in my opinion. Love Led Zeppelin!!!!!!!!!

GOOD TO SEE YOU zakk Daniels
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:Some people would even say sloppy equals more feeling and accuracy equals no feeling...
Very well said.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

westwade wrote:I think that Randy's view of Page's playing may have arisen out of the fact that Randy was SO familiar with musical theory, and it was so ingrained in him that he may have viewed it as sloppy, as that was not HIS experience, or how he learned. Not saying this is bad, just how he may have looked at things. Makes sense when you think about it, actually.
wow gold
cheap wow gold

Good point
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

randy will never die wrote:
westwade wrote:I think that Randy's view of Page's playing may have arisen out of the fact that Randy was SO familiar with musical theory, and it was so ingrained in him that he may have viewed it as sloppy, as that was not HIS experience, or how he learned. Not saying this is bad, just how he may have looked at things. Makes sense when you think about it, actually.
wow gold
cheap wow gold

Good point
Haha! Yes, especially when you consider that I said this, verbatim, on the page previous. :)

Looks like a bot/troll again!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:
randy will never die wrote:
wow gold
cheap wow gold

Good point
Haha! Yes, especially when you consider that I said this, verbatim, on the page previous. :)

Looks like a bot/troll again!
What? A bot/troll with links to arm2teeth.com? NEVER! :mrgreen:
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Jake had mentioned this but it was something that I noticed too in the 90's. I wasn't in any bands, not any bands playing out but to me when "grunge" hit, I liked some of the bands. First off "grunge" was coined by someone in the industry, not by any band from Seattle. The reason people liked it was it fresher sounding and more honest. Rock had increased it's technical side but ignored it's feeling side so to speak. It was technical without as much feeling because there were a lot of copy-cats and the emphasis was placed on hair and spandex or "the look". Jake had commented on his bass player in Badlands auditioning for Ozzy. I guess the guy showed up in sweatpants and Ozzy said, "He doesn't have the look". That with rock music being cut-and-paste like a Poison song thing with starting with an acoustic, guitars kick in, then a big guitar solo back to the acoustic. They also stole some Randy licks outright, that's why I said cut-and-paste. The whole scene became generic and all these bands sounded similar with songs in E, G or Am. Badlands was one of the better bands. At that time, not a lot of 'metal' guys were going THAT bluesy that Jake had. The point is you can't let a picking exercise replace music. You have to use your ears, fingers, brain and heart. Some of the better stuff I wrote was from humming a melody. You can write a killer solo but do it after writing a great song! Dime was talking about noises and how a guitarist might hit these unexpected notes but to the listener, he is just listening. He also make a great point about originality. How unique can be better than perfectly polished. When you have a good voice but sound like no one else rather then the great voice who sounds like everyone else.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

hansolo wrote:The reason people liked it was it fresher sounding and more honest. Rock had increased it's technical side but ignored it's feeling side so to speak. It was technical without as much feeling...
That's exactly why punk came about with the Ramones in the '70's. Between the polish of disco and the indulgent 30 minute renditions of songs by Zeppelin, et al, there was a group of kids who wanted to get back to the roots of expressing their emotions. In short order punk became new wave and polished... 'Grunge' was punk a generation later and in short order it faded as well... a couple more years and it'll happen again. Page and Zeppelin took rock to a pinnacle and then the Ramones brought rock back down to earth...

What I always found fascinating is how Led Zeppelin could be so great as a unit, but when they disbanded they couldn't reproduce that greatness individually.
Cornelius

Post by Cornelius »

I'm pretty sure the "broken wrist" thing comes from an old Eddie Van Halen interview:

"Jimmy Page is an excellent producer. Led Zeppelin I and Led Zeppelin II are classics. As a player, he's very good in the studio. I never saw him play well live. He's very sloppy. He plays like he's got a broken hand and he's two years old. But if you put out a good album and play like a two-year-old live, what's the purpose?" - Eddie Van Halen (Guitar World, January 1981)

I'm not aware of Randy Rhoads publicly saying anything negative about Jimmy Page.
McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

Stairway to Heaven's one of my favorite guitar solo's! The studio version is beautiful but every time I've heard or seen Page play it live he pisses all over it! That's one thing I know Randy was keen on was reproducing the song live and keeping most phrasings and leads as close to the album as possible. Which he was a master of being able to do that. Now Jimmy Page can do whatever the fuck he wants to whatever Led Zepplin tune he feels like, he wrote them. But if he is going to improvise a solo instead of keeping things at least close to what he did in the studio, he should at least play something coherent! Maybe this is what Randy was getting at?
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!
randy will never die
Mass Poster

McLowery wrote:Stairway to Heaven's one of my favorite guitar solo's! The studio version is beautiful but every time I've heard or seen Page play it live he pisses all over it! That's one thing I know Randy was keen on was reproducing the song live and keeping most phrasings and leads as close to the album as possible. Which he was a master of being able to do that. Now Jimmy Page can do whatever the fuck he wants to whatever Led Zepplin tune he feels like, he wrote them. But if he is going to improvise a solo instead of keeping things at least close to what he did in the studio, he should at least play something coherent! Maybe this is what Randy was getting at?

WELCOME back McLowery.

I thought you died :lol: