Randy thought Jimmy Page had sloppy playing? Listen.........

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

chilinvilin
Cool Member

Randy thought Jimmy Page had sloppy playing? Listen.........

Post by chilinvilin »

Im pretty sure I read somewhere Randy thought Jimmy was sloppy at playing or something close to that. Anyway I came across 4 tracks from Led Zeppelin II that have all the multitrack stems.
Take a listen to his isolated guitar tracks.. Now hearing him isolated what do you think?

Whole Lotta Love (Electric Guitar Stem)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD6UhRXO ... e=youtu.be
Or Download http://www.mediafire.com/download/e7z13 ... rb/201.wmv

What Is And What Should Never Be (Electric Guitar Stem)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK9zcRC_ ... e=youtu.be
Or Download http://www.mediafire.com/?v6py7qx4786tc1m

Heartbreaker (Electric Guitar Stem #1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DZIRH7K ... e=youtu.be
Or Download http://www.mediafire.com/?6i66ygxgioc2yg3

Heartbreaker (Electric Guitar Stem #2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz9QTesM ... e=youtu.be
Or Download http://www.mediafire.com/?dzm5xlu29h89f5y

Ramble On (Acoustic Guitar Stem)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sra88V4K ... e=youtu.be
Or Download http://www.mediafire.com/?0g8b9tlmqrjlm35

Ramble On (Electric Guitar Stem)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3ZDNWfy ... e=youtu.be
Or Download http://www.mediafire.com/?y78f5qa6hasuq8s
Tito
Mass Poster

Re: Randy thought Jimmy Page had sloppy playing? Listen.....

Post by Tito »

i think randy said he played like he had a broken wrist or something to that effect.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

They had different types of playing.

Look, Randy is my favorite guitarist by a country mile, but I do not, for one minute, buy that his opinion is the right one, or the only one. Just because Randy didn't like it doesn't mean other people shouldn't, folks!

Page's playing seems more bluesy, and I dig the hell out of the Zeppelin stuff. With Randy's playing, it's more precise, as well as versed more in music theory and classical influence. I also enjoy the hell out of that, too. I think that Randy's view of Page's playing may have arisen out of the fact that Randy was SO familiar with musical theory, and it was so ingrained in him that he may have viewed it as sloppy, as that was not HIS experience, or how he learned. Not saying this is bad, just how he may have looked at things. Makes sense when you think about it, actually.

Bottom line = Randy didn't have the market cornered on good playing, and honestly, who cares if he didn't like Page's playing?

Variety helps to show the beauty of music, in all its forms.
chilinvilin
Cool Member

Post by chilinvilin »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:They had different types of playing.

Look, Randy is my favorite guitarist by a country mile, but I do not, for one minute, buy that his opinion is the right one, or the only one. Just because Randy didn't like it doesn't mean other people shouldn't, folks!

Page's playing seems more bluesy, and I dig the hell out of the Zeppelin stuff. With Randy's playing, it's more precise, as well as versed more in music theory and classical influence. I also enjoy the hell out of that, too. I think that Randy's view of Page's playing may have arisen out of the fact that Randy was SO familiar with musical theory, and it was so ingrained in him that he may have viewed it as sloppy, as that was not HIS experience, or how he learned. Not saying this is bad, just how he may have looked at things. Makes sense when you think about it, actually.

Bottom line = Randy didn't have the market cornered on good playing, and honestly, who cares if he didn't like Page's playing?

Variety helps to show the beauty of music, in all its forms.
Look I always thought jimmy played a little stiff but what the hell do I know? Oh and I care that Randy didnt like jimmy as a player cause I am im agreement. THATS ALL! Just wanted to throw it out there...
Thnx for the replys
Im really drunk and high as a kite so plz dont take all of what i say to heart..
thnks
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote: Look, Randy is my favorite guitarist by a country mile, but I do not, for one minute, buy that his opinion is the right one, or the only one. Just because Randy didn't like it doesn't mean other people shouldn't, folks!
Sometimes people forget that when Randy died he was 25-years-old. He was talented beyond his years, but he was still just a kid.

I completely agree with you, if we all followed Randy's opinion on guitar players, none of us would listen to Sabbath!

As for Page, he was sloppy, in my opinion, but he was a phenomenal songwriter.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

If I REMBER right randy said that he thought that Jimmy's picking was real heavy
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

I remember "In through the outdoor" coming out in the paper bag. I liked it but when Ozzy came out solo, I didn't care about them too much. Later on I got into them more and the bootlegs, wow! It's a collectors dream. They are still coming out with new shows! There are a few things that give page that sloppy title. One is drugs, another is uneven playing, one goes with the other probably. 1975 was a pretty good year but there were some bad points. 1977 was worse for Page being on drugs (smack) but there were good and bad shows. Another is injury. I have a LZ book that reviews a lot shows and there are many nights when Page had broken fingers! I don't know what that is about but in the 'Celebration' show, he also was said to have broken fingers. His live tone is also VERY clean. It doesn't really mask anything. I was pretty amazed at Page's playing '69-'73 with '73 being at his peak. They still did some great stuff later too but the drums, bass and guitar were like a well-oiled machine in the peak times.

I heard Kelly say that they saw Zeppelin in the 70's, I wonder which show it was. It could be where Randy formed his Page opinion. I'm not sure if Randy made that comment but it's what we have been talking about. Even if he did, tastes change and you shouldn't deal with absolutes. Like the QR records. I was glad Kevin got to release QR the RR years, to show the world Randy had developed his talent in QR not magically in Ozzy's service. A Japanese fan magazine asked who is your least favorite band and Randy said the Ramones but I get it. It didn't really have much lead in it. The Ramones are part of the punk scene and are very influential band. I doubt he would of told the Ramones that face-to-face or said that if he had known the band.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Paul Wolfe wrote:
CanuckRhoadsFan wrote: Look, Randy is my favorite guitarist by a country mile, but I do not, for one minute, buy that his opinion is the right one, or the only one. Just because Randy didn't like it doesn't mean other people shouldn't, folks!
Sometimes people forget that when Randy died he was 25-years-old. He was talented beyond his years, but he was still just a kid.

I completely agree with you, if we all followed Randy's opinion on guitar players, none of us would listen to Sabbath!

As for Page, he was sloppy, in my opinion, but he was a phenomenal songwriter.
You're right - Randy was only 25 when he passed away, and I think that while his musical knowledge and experience were light years ahead of many, he was still forming his opinions on many things, music included, obviously. I tend to take his opinions of other musicians as snapshots of the time. Music, and metal, has evolved since 1982, sometimes in a positive way, sometimes in a negative way. Had he lived, he may have changed his opinions....who knows?

You're correct about Page also. The "sloppiness" was/is a major part of his playing, but again, I feel it's part of his style, as was John Bonham's drumming for Zep. He may not have been the best drummer around, but he had a distinctive style. It worked for Zeppelin, who were majorly influenced by the blues musicians of yesteryear. His playing probably would not have worked on Randy material like BOO or DOAM. Page would have a different take on those, for sure.

Neither is better or worse, just different. That being said, Randy was such an accomplished player that I think he could have slipped between styles without much effort. Not many players can do that.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

Page is a sloppy player but look how low his axe is.I wonder if anybody advised him about his slop and low guitar??Some of the live stuff is truly cringe-worthy.But who cares really,the studio stuff is mostly absent of this playing.What a genius song writer.Houses of the Holy-omg!!Stairway,going to cali,babe im gonna leave u,omfg!
They dont make em like they used to.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

oth wrote:Page is a sloppy player but look how low his axe is.I wonder if anybody advised him about his slop and low guitar??Some of the live stuff is truly cringe-worthy.But who cares really,the studio stuff is mostly absent of this playing.What a genius song writer.Houses of the Holy-omg!!Stairway,going to cali,babe im gonna leave u,omfg!
They certainly don't, do they?

It's interesting, with the two ends of the spectrum - Randy, who wanted both studio and live to sound perfect, and Page, whose playing was a lot looser and who wasn't as concerned about how things came out. Yet again, different styles.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

load of bollocks i loved the way Page played /plays....
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

oth wrote:Page is a sloppy player but look how low his axe is.I wonder if anybody advised him about his slop and low guitar??Some of the live stuff is truly cringe-worthy.But who cares really,the studio stuff is mostly absent of this playing.What a genius song writer.Houses of the Holy-omg!!Stairway,going to cali,babe im gonna leave u,omfg!

Look at something like " the rain song" the guy was a genius.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Pagey is god. I can't think of another guy who has so many great songs. Randy, who knows what he could of done, had the crash not occured... But he has some Page in his playing. Compare the over the mountain (whammy - chromatic) solo with heartbreaker and you have your answer. The Rain song was in response to a reporter saying 'LZ can't create a song like the Beatles "Something"' which used a homage of the intro to "Something", A to A major 7th.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

I also enjoy Zeppelin quite a bit. Anyone pick up CELEBRATION DAY?

Man, I would have paid good money to see a show if LZ would have went on tour after that. There sure seems to be a lot of hand wringing around anything Zeppelin as well, doesn't there? Plant has gone on record as saying he's moved on and really doesn't want to revisit that music, and Page sounds like he would have been all for touring. Sad it didn't come together, but understandable, given the dynamic of the band, and their resolution not to continue without John Bonham, even though Jason Bonham did a more than adequate job.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

I saw it at an Imax. There is a deluxe version that has a sound-check. I think the years of Randy teaching and constant playing gave him a powerful vocabulary and very tight playing. I think as Zeppelin got older, Page may have practiced less. Therefore less fluidity. In the early 90's some 1979 Knebworth performances popped up on MTV. The seemed sluggish and the sound weak. When they released the DVDs which had it on there, the sound was re-mixed so much better.