Randy thought Jimmy Page had sloppy playing? Listen.........

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: Randy thought Jimmy Page had sloppy playing? Listen.....

Post by Paul Wolfe »

SLAGER wrote:I guess you're half-right Mass Poster. I was reacting to the fact that the word "sloppy" isn't a compliment. It's a derogatory word typically used to reduce the image of another person.
Typically being the key word there...
SLAGER wrote:BUT....the folks here seem to appreciate its context as applied to Page. I'm sure if Randy said that (which we don't have proof of), he would have used it observationally rather than as way to cut him down. In that context I agree.
I'm glad you see it as less of a criticism and more of an observation, that's how I always saw it. Randy would have had to be stupid to consider the guy a hack... Randy loved composition and Page was an excellent composer.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

i love alot of LZ(studio zep).and if i remember right randy said he liked jimmy's acoustic work alot better..jimmy was an amazing composer but he just wasnt able to do live what he created in the studio..also robert plant was like brian johnson..what brian pulled off in the studio was never gonna be replicated live..i think the best thing live out of led zeppelin was john bonham and the bassist(cant remember his name sorry)..so in short i think page and plant absolutely sucked live but were beasts in the studio...here's an example..i listened to it the whole way through and its just terrible..minus bonzo n the bassist of course... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT4UXgQ0pcY
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

Tito wrote:i love alot of LZ(studio zep).and if i remember right randy said he liked jimmy's acoustic work alot better..jimmy was an amazing composer but he just wasnt able to do live what he created in the studio..also robert plant was like brian johnson..what brian pulled off in the studio was never gonna be replicated live..i think the best thing live out of led zeppelin was john bonham and the bassist(cant remember his name sorry)..so in short i think page and plant absolutely sucked live but were beasts in the studio...here's an example..i listened to it the whole way through and its just terrible..minus bonzo n the bassist of course... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT4UXgQ0pcY

yeah that fucking sucks shit...i didnt find plant bad but page...No excuses for that hideous slop disaster.Its like his left and right hand cant sync.Sounds like his fingers are stumbling all over.Its amazing that is the same player as the studio master.Some people can play stoned-others,no.Hendrix could suck live also.But i think page always sucked live.Granted i havent seen much live lz.

btw,its blasphemous you dont know john paul jones.That dude rocked the most righteous medieval haircut-circa 1412 AD.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

damn thats it thanks oth!!!lmao!!!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Tito, I couldn't watch that all the way through!

Now I gotta say though that people who loved Zeppelin live are probably the ones who saw them live and remember the experience rather than the video/film. KISS has their KISSology videos which make them sound pretty great live, but there are other concerts on YouTube not officially released in which you can tell that they were average live. The official stuff was redone extensively in the studio. So you've got to give credit to Zeppelin for not doing that to their live stuff.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

very true paul.
The_Scratch

Post by The_Scratch »

I agree with Randy if he said anything along those lines.
Page had a phenomenal ability to write wonderful music, Randy had a phenomenal ability create extraordinary compositions.
I do consider composition different than songwriting.
Randy was a very precise and technical guitarist... Page is loose and bluesy. I don't think Page's studio work can be called sloppy... I would call it raw. However Jimmy Page was a very sloppy live performer. But not always. the Knebworth recordings are actually really precise and well executed. Let's also remember that Jimmy Page enjoyed a substantial amount of booze and drugs when he played. That has a strong affect on someones playing.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

oth wrote:

yeah that fucking sucks shit...i didnt find plant bad but page...No excuses for that hideous slop disaster.Its like his left and right hand cant sync.Sounds like his fingers are stumbling all over.Its amazing that is the same player as the studio master.Some people can play stoned-others,no.Hendrix could suck live also.But i think page always sucked live.Granted i havent seen much live lz.

btw,its blasphemous you dont know john paul jones.That dude rocked the most righteous medieval haircut-circa 1412 AD.
That solo was so bad. Come to think of it most of the stuff I have seen of LZ live has blown ass. I mean Jimmy just sounds so awful. I remember one of the DVD's I have he is playing some shitty danelectro and the thing just is so out of tune. I just don't get it. It was out of tune and his playing was sloppy. It honestly remined me of when I had only been playing for 6 months and I tried to do all the "fast" stuff. I cringe, it is worse than the crap I hear at guitar center. I hand it to them that Jimmy's tallent was in song writing. But it makes it hard to listen to them when I hear such poop coming out of some one's fingers.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Check out the fill at 2:53. Communication breakdown encore at Texas Pop festival 1969. Don't forget page was very into playing different solos from night to night. He was uneven. The Danelectro was usually used for White summer, black mountain side (later Kashmir) which uses Indian and Arabic musical influences. Have you studied these? John Paul Jones is an amazing musician. To say that he was Led Zeppelin's bass player does not tell the entire story. Which is how I feel when people say Zeppelin sucked live. Did the guy who reserved the LZ DVD's at the library get to watch them in their entirety?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pqmyXHJLzw