Old footage ?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

randy will never die
Mass Poster

Old footage ?

Post by randy will never die »

I have thought about some of the old footage from Chicago and New York that have been on the tube for years

My thought is how much would it cost to sync the audio and clean up the video a bit to make it more clear ?

To be honest I like the footage from the Chicago gig and the footage from the balcony in New York better than the new stuff

It gives you a better feel of how the whole band reacted to the crowd and each other live

But anyways how much could you clean up of a copy of the footage

I know that if you restore and remaster the orginall footage you get a hd result
But how high rese could you make a copy of the orginall footage ?

People have talked about the 2 concerts before on the form but not in the way I am

EVERYBODY wants new pro footage but it seems that no one has taken the time to try to restore the old footage on the tube ?

On a side note does anybody have a really good copy of the two concretes
Like high res stuff
I would be extremely thankfully if somebody PM me about the a copy

thanks

Nickolas Hughes
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: Old footage ?

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I'm sure similar videos are up on youtube with the audio dubbed over the video. I'm sure i seen one of the recent videos posted up at TK. That had the sound changed to better audio. What are concretes ? predictable tex concerts ?..
randy will never die
Mass Poster

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:I'm sure similar videos are up on youtube with the audio dubbed over the video. I'm sure i seen one of the recent videos posted up at TK. That had the sound changed to better audio. What are concretes ? predictable tex concerts ?..

Sorry I was rushing that post
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

I believe both clips have original audio. NYC is super 8. Let me know when you find that HQ or master of Chicago, I've been waiting 20 years for a better copy without tracking problems. My theory is either the master was taped over or perhaps the tracking sync was off. I had a really good vcr for taping stuff and one day it took a spill. I thought it was okay because it worked fine, until I took out a tape and brought it over a friend's. The audio was off and if you tracked it in the video was off, etc. Maybe they took it out of the camera and put it in a vcr and experienced tracking problems on playback. I originally though it was deliberate tracking sabotage but Somebody would have put another version out. All I know is if I used that vcr as a player and it was taped say off the tv, it would play fine and I could record that. It wouldn't play commercial releases.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Joe its a very hard thing to do to sync VHS up to an audio sound track. I remember buying the Mad Max 2 Road Warrior soundtrack and i had purchased the video of the film. So i tried to play the 2 along together. It started off ok but over time it goes off and you have to start again. I spoke to a guy who was into editing and doing sound for bands etc. He said its got something to do with the video tape being half audio and half video. Some thing that makes it almost impossible to do. Without having to slow the track or video down to make it fit. Plus you have to hope that the tape isn't stretched or the soundtrack isn't edited or paused between tracks etc. It's a fkn nightmare to do, but with wave files etc it can be done.
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

(Apparently) 5 years ago I quickly threw this together, the complete audio track + the available video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc-i2m2eRO0
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

I've tried putting cleaner audio (From the same shows) onto video, and it never turns out well. The footage will sometimes speed up and slow down so slightly that it really isn't noticeable, but then you can see the audio getting out of sync. I'm no expert, so I'm sure others could do a better job, but from my experience, it's not possible to have it look/sound decent.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Stewie wrote:(Apparently) 5 years ago I quickly threw this together, the complete audio track + the available video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc-i2m2eRO0

Is this a crowd audio or a soundboard recording ?

THANKS
Nickolas Hughes
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

randy will never die wrote:
Stewie wrote:(Apparently) 5 years ago I quickly threw this together, the complete audio track + the available video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc-i2m2eRO0

Is this a crowd audio or a soundboard recording ?

THANKS
Nickolas Hughes
Its audio I got from UR bootleg section I think.. can't remember
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

That is the problem with analog. Synching up motor speeds from one analog source to another get's more difficult as time goes on. Meaning a short clip is easier than 40 minute concert. That is why eventually over time, one will be faster and one slower. It's not that there is video and audio on one tape. It's how well the setting has been tuned or adjusted. I say setting because that gets adjusted at the factory, same with the old cassette players. A human does this and the setting could stray, over time or vibrations could do it as well. The only way to tune them is to record a tone an play it back using a frequency counter and adjust until it is the same. I have a cassette player with pitch control. You could tune a guitar to the videos audio and then check your audio source and adjust the pitch with a cassette deck with pitch control.

Chicago would be extremely difficult because of the tracking problems. When one of the flaws kicks in you can hear the frequency go up and then down while it trys to track itself. There is no way the audio would be synched up after a flaw comes in. If someone could digitize it and divide them in to parts where the flaws occur, line up the audio for each, maybe but That'sa a lotta hard work! Here is what you do. It's an old bootleg "trick" you put the audio through a stereo that has an EQ and you shave of the hiss and put some bass in it and crank it up!!! Mess with it until it sounds good.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

hansolo wrote:That is the problem with analog. Synching up motor speeds from one analog source to another get's more difficult as time goes on. Meaning a short clip is easier than 40 minute concert. That is why eventually over time, one will be faster and one slower. It's not that there is video and audio on one tape. It's how well the setting has been tuned or adjusted. I say setting because that gets adjusted at the factory, same with the old cassette players. A human does this and the setting could stray, over time or vibrations could do it as well. The only way to tune them is to record a tone an play it back using a frequency counter and adjust until it is the same. I have a cassette player with pitch control. You could tune a guitar to the videos audio and then check your audio source and adjust the pitch with a cassette deck with pitch control.

Chicago would be extremely difficult because of the tracking problems. When one of the flaws kicks in you can hear the frequency go up and then down while it trys to track itself. There is no way the audio would be synched up after a flaw comes in. If someone could digitize it and divide them in to parts where the flaws occur, line up the audio for each, maybe but That'sa a lotta hard work! Here is what you do. It's an old bootleg "trick" you put the audio through a stereo that has an EQ and you shave of the hiss and put some bass in it and crank it up!!! Mess with it until it sounds good.

there has been a rumor for the longest time that the people that filmed the Chicago gig put effects to make the footage look messed up in to a copy of the real footage and posted it on youtube
and that the people that filmed the gig gave the real footage to $harron

there is a guy on youtube that claims he shot the footage him self and that he sold it to sharron for $300 for the fans

this might be worth looking into I would love a clean version of the Chicago gig

but I am happy with he footage we have now :)

forget syncing better audio to the footage

is there a way to clean up the footage we have so that we can see it a little better ?
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

randy will never die wrote:
hansolo wrote:That is the problem with analog. Synching up motor speeds from one analog source to another get's more difficult as time goes on. Meaning a short clip is easier than 40 minute concert. That is why eventually over time, one will be faster and one slower. It's not that there is video and audio on one tape. It's how well the setting has been tuned or adjusted. I say setting because that gets adjusted at the factory, same with the old cassette players. A human does this and the setting could stray, over time or vibrations could do it as well. The only way to tune them is to record a tone an play it back using a frequency counter and adjust until it is the same. I have a cassette player with pitch control. You could tune a guitar to the videos audio and then check your audio source and adjust the pitch with a cassette deck with pitch control.

there has been a rumor for the longest time that the people that filmed the Chicago gig put effects to make the footage look messed up in to a copy of the real footage and posted it on youtube
and that the people that filmed the gig gave the real footage to $harron

there is a guy on youtube that claims he shot the footage him self and that he sold it to sharron for $300 for the fans

this might be worth looking into I would love a clean version of the Chicago gig

but I am happy with he footage we have now :)

forget syncing better audio to the footage

is there a way to clean up the footage we have so that we can see it a little better ?
When I first saw Chicago, it looked like someone turning the tracking knob every now and again.