dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Re: Randy Marshall

Post by dannyahansen »

Nick Hughes wrote:My conclusion was based off topics in rhoads tk

Then what year are his amps ?

His amps had rocker switches on them and they were JMPs
JMPs only had rocker switches from 1974-1979
I had read (and looked at a lot of amps) that it was 1976-1979, maybe early '80 or 81, I cant remember. But I have not been able to validate any amps prior to 1976 that were 1959 JMP's that had rocker switches. If you have evidence that will back up the 1974 date I am all for it. I am pretty sure that Randy had 2 stacks made for him when he went to England. One in white and the other in standard black and that was in '79.

Think the rocker switch came to be in 1974 but I am not sure it was used on all models and I am not even sure that is the right date. Any one have some credible info on this? Mine just comes from the years of Ebay looking and working at Guitar center so it is more anecdotal.

Just found this
http://www.solodallas.com/the-vintage-marshall-guide/
it claims 1976-1981. Scroll done to the "The “Rocker Switch” JMP era: 1976 – 1981" part.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Marshall switched all models to the rocker switches half way through the 76 model year. You will find 76 models with toggles or rockers. After 76 everything had rockers unless it was a special order, or up until the reissues started coming out.
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

I wonder if it was a 79 based JMP circuit of the time that the amp was based off of, because if it was then the cascade was already being done to the master volume amps and he essentially got the best of both worlds. He got the MV amp on one half of the inputs and a more standard Superlead on the other half possibly?
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

Shaun, do you have pic of that postcard? I used to have one, but I'll be damned if I can find it.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Mr. Wolfe wrote:Shaun, do you have pic of that postcard? I used to have one, but I'll be damned if I can find it.
Paul this is what was wrote on the postcard, as the original copy that was posted up was the one from ebay and not very clear. The pics below are some close up's from a couple lines on the card.

Kevin & Drew,
Hi, how are you guys? Have you got the new band together? Things are taking longer here, we still haven't decided on a drummer. We've played with a million, but none of them were right. We've played with drummers from Wings, Whitesnake, Ten Years Later, Judas Priest, and other session guys that you'd know but I didn't. All a bunch of nerds! We're doing some demos next week to test out this studio and a producer Jet wants to use. By the time we're done if we still don't have a drummer, we'll have to pay someone to do it. Bob said Cozy P. would do it for 5,000 if he's not working, but Ozzie and Jet don't want to do that. Thanks!

For now, we're using a session guy on the demo. The studio is called Bridge Farm. It looks neat, you live there with maids and cooks.

I did something you'll appreciate. I went to the Marshall factory, and ordered my own amps, I had them beefed up and modified there, I got them in white! A stack is really cheap here! I got a stack for $500, brand new, so I bought two of them, the ones I was using were rented and it was costing more money than owning them. The material is all done practically, just a few arrangement stuff. Big zero cough! Makes me really miss the group! But, it'll pay off? :(

It's so cold, I can't practice, it's been about two months since I've really practiced, I play about 1 hour a day, except for writing, but hardly any lead, it's too cold. It's snowing. Jodi and I have spent a few days in London, it was fun. We're back at Suffolk now, it's by the sea on the Northeast Coast. We moved from Wales about a week ago.

Well I'm out of room so I'll stop, but I'll right soon. Bye, Randy.

P.S. I miss you guys. I'll right more when there's more to say, OK?

Attachments
Randy's postcard to Kevin DuBrow.jpg
(40.73 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

That's just as I remembered it, thanks Shaun.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

So it looks like he got both at the same time and knew about the mods because he asked for them.

I really wish Marshall would just release all of their old line. Not just the JCM800 and not just the plexi's. They should to the JMP's both the master volume and the 1959 models.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a distinct memory of a newer 1959SLP
in a catalogue a few years back?
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Stiltzkin wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a distinct memory of a newer 1959SLP
in a catalogue a few years back?
Hmmm the only thing I can remember seeing is the HW series of the plexi and the standard reissue.

What do you mean by newer 1959 SLP?