Randy Marshall

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

BowTie29
Cool Member

Randy Marshall

Post by BowTie29 »

I know the Marshall's have been talked about endlessly, however does anyone know what year the Black ones that he actually ended up using were? Different years of the 1959 have different spec and tone. I also wonder what year his white ones were based on as by 81 they had started the 800's mainly so Im guessing that he had it based off of a past circuit.
camdenlp
Cool Member

Re: Randy Marshall

Post by camdenlp »

Perfect question for the Dutchman
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

I can'T answer you but i have a 1987x Marshall modded by David Bray and i can tell you that when i play suicide solution, the tone i have is the same that you hear on after hour.

I will post clip one day.

All these old marshall are very similar sounding... The rest of it come from your finger. I have hours and hours of practice and it was mainly by listening to Randy playing and when i play some other music, i sound like Randy playing other music! ;) I mean, my vibrato, my bending technique etc etc all come from listening to Randy

Yeah, i know, Randy would tell me to have my own sound, :) But i just enjoy playing his music and it help developing my technique. I'm not good at composing anyway.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Well as far as i remember he bought them from Marshall in 1979. He must of getting the lot at the same time as he was using hired cabs. Just before he went on tour in 1980. They must of been stock cabs with the original speakers modified to altecs. As we know his backline was eventually all white cabs, but i don't think randy had any cabs or amplifiers with him when he came to england in 79. So the lot was bought new from marshall. He mentioned this in a postcard he sent to Kevin duBrow. (Quote) : "I did something you'll appreciate. I went to the Marshall factory, and ordered my own amps, I had them beefed up and modified there, I got them in white! A stack is really cheap here! I got a stack for $500, brand new, so I bought two of them, the ones I was using were rented and it was costing more money than owning them."....
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

For the recording of Blizzard he borrowed amps from a popular amp tech in the LA area, but his white ones and black ones that he used later on live Im not sure about
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

BowTie29 wrote:For the recording of Blizzard he borrowed amps from a popular amp tech in the LA area, but his white ones and black ones that he used later on live Im not sure about
I'm not so sure about that, where did you hear that from?

He recorded the album in England, so why would he borrow amps from someone in LA? Would have been much easier just to buy his own.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

I was told from a very connected guy in that world who knows the amp tech in LA that he borrowed them from as he has worked with the same guy.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

it doesn't make sense.

he was granted a work visa to record the album, fler to England by himself, so why haul a stack?
he most likely borrowed/used something that was already available at Ridgefarm :)

ny the way, who's your source?
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

I honestly don't have all the details, I was just briefly told that the amps on Blizzard weren't Randy's and they were borrowed from a guy in the LA scene. The guy I was talking to knows the Rhoads' family and was quite involved with the documentary until it went sideways with Peter M. as well as he contributed lots of information to a few of the Randy books that are out as well.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

This photo shows Randy with his brand new white tolex cab seen in this photo. This photo is from the Blizzard recordings April 1979 as mentioned above Randy had these made to his specs in England by Marshall. Randy said in the postcard he was hiring his cabs and amp heads. It was costing more to hire them then it was to buy a full stack for $500.00. Why would he hire them if he was giving them from someone in LA... :roll: I rest my case... FFS
Attachments
Randy pedal board ridge farm.jpg
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

BowTie29 wrote:I was told from a very connected guy in that world who knows the amp tech in LA that he borrowed them from as he has worked with the same guy.
I don't mean to sound offensive, but why do so many people here quote people without giving names? If a 'very connected guy' told me something, I'd use his name to both give him credit and to give the statement credibility. If the person requested the info not be shared and as a result his name was omitted, that's kind of uncool.

BowTie29 I'm not singling you out with this, it's just something that goes on here a lot.

I, too, was going to reference the postcard from Randy to Kevin. I'm sure the date is obvious on the postmark, so it'd be easy to verify when his amps were made/purchased within a few weeks of the actual date.
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

Im almost 100% certain that I correctly posted what I was told from him, however I'll try to contact him again to make sure that I got the facts right. I don't want to post his name because I don't want to make him look bad by posting information that may have slight errors in it and quote it as what he has said.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

BowTie29 wrote:I don't want to post his name because I don't want to make him look bad by posting information that may have slight errors in it and quote it as what he has said.
Fair enough.

And as I said, I wasn't singling you out, I just notice a lot of people make the 'I heard from someone who knows' comments. If you search my posts you'll find I've done it, too. For the record, most of the info I didn't credit to anyone came from Frank, Kelly or Kevin (but I ain't sayin' what came from who since I never specifically OK'd anything I shared) in the future I'll do my best to get permission to pass along info and give credit where credit is due.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Paul that postcard must of been sent inside an envelope with others, possibley. As it never had a stamp on it or a postmark. But from the mentioned info on the card a date/month/year can easily be put on it.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

Didn't randy send a post card to marshall telling them what type of amp he wanted and what he wanted done to that amp or amps