Randy Marshall

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

mojopin70
Mass Poster

Re: Randy Marshall

Post by mojopin70 »

He bought his amps in the uk , directly from Marshall used on Blizzard and Diary.....
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Paul that postcard must of been sent inside an envelope with others, possibley. As it never had a stamp on it or a postmark. But from the mentioned info on the card a date/month/year can easily be put on it.
Interesting, I remember seeing it but I must have assumed it had a postmark... thanks for the info.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Paul that postcard must of been sent inside an envelope with others, possibley. As it never had a stamp on it or a postmark. But from the mentioned info on the card a date/month/year can easily be put on it.
Interesting, I remember seeing it but I must have assumed it had a postmark... thanks for the info.
I have never seen it can some one post a pic please
Thanks
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

randy will never die wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:
I have never seen it can some one post a pic please
Thanks
This is the thread, if you go through it you'll see the card and what Randy was talking about...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2570&hilit=post+card
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

"I play - about an hour a day, except for writing, but hardly any lead, it's too cold..." :)
Attachments
postcard.jpg
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

He may have been renting from LA and that is why is was costing him so much. He may have gotten to England and started with the rented amps and ordered from Marshall later on and because cabs are quicker to make than amps, he may have got those by the recording but got the heads later on?
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

BowTie29 wrote:He may have been renting from LA and that is why is was costing him so much. He may have gotten to England and started with the rented amps and ordered from Marshall later on and because cabs are quicker to make than amps, he may have got those by the recording but got the heads later on?
If you cannot back this up with nothing more then "He may have been renting from LA....etc". Why would he do that when England have plenty companys that hire out gear. He says in the postcard it was cheaper to 'buy them' in the UK direct from the Marshall factory in England.
A perfect example is the back line from the HMH Port Vale 1981 gig in the UK. If you look at all of the bass and guitar cabs they are all hired. They have stickers on from the hire company. It would of been cheaper to hire them to do the one off gig in the UK. Remember this was during the USA tour, bringing all those cabs to the venue for one gig would of cost a fortune.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Ok Bowtie29 Sorry but its time to put your wild claims and misleading info to rest- I hope Bob doesnt mind me quoting him but these are his words on this subject of Randy Rhoads hiring Marshalls from L.A or having Marshalls flown from L.A to the UK ( which makes absolutely no sense at all)

Anyway here is what Bob had to say :

"It was hard enough to get David Arden to agree to fly Randy over, there was no way he'd pay to have the amps shipped over. Besides, why would he? Randy was coming to the Land of the Marshall. The amps that Randy used on Blizzard and Diary were from Marshall in the UK"

I think that clears that up then?
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

I'll see what was meant when I was told that, I too was sceptical when I heard it but the guy seemed reputable, Im not saying the this was for sure, just what I heard. I think that Bob (Daisley I assume) would be more believable though for sure. Anyways, back to the main question I had, what circuit was the amps Randy used based on?
Nick Hughes
Cool Member

Post by Nick Hughes »

I have come to a conclusion regarding Randy's Marshall's

Randy got a 1970 JMP super lead and had the cascade mod done and had it encased in white tolex

And randy got 2 1979 JMP super lead master volumes
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

so … how did you come to that conclusion? :)
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

Stiltzkin wrote:so … how did you come to that conclusion? :)
+1
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Nick Hughes wrote:I have come to a conclusion regarding Randy's Marshall's

Randy got a 1970 JMP super lead and had the cascade mod done and had it encased in white tolex

And randy got 2 1979 JMP super lead master volumes
They got made at the same time as his cabs he ordered 2 full stacks and he later ordered a further full stack. This is what Randy wrote in the post card to Kevin DuBrow " I did something you'll appreciate. I went to the Marshall factory, and ordered my own amps, I had them beefed up and modified there, I got them in white! A stack is really cheap here! I got a stack for $500, brand new, so I bought two of them, the ones I was using were rented and it was costing more money than owning them. " ....
Nick Hughes
Cool Member

Post by Nick Hughes »

My conclusion was based off topics in rhoads tk

Then what year are his amps ?

His amps had rocker switches on them and they were JMPs
JMPs only had rocker switches from 1974-1979
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »