New hope for the 'Legacy'?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Re: New hope for the 'Legacy'?

Post by frank »

frank wrote:
i spoke to kathy not too long ago about what she felt was her obligation to randys fans. she actually anguished about doing something fitting for his legacy. i told her "screw the fans. anything you send their way might shut them up for 10 minutes, and then they're back to whining. you can never please them.".
re-read the post dumbshit. kathy anguished about doing something fitting for his legacy. in other words, she was tormented and wanted to do right by the fans. I told her "screw them. they're ungrateful and impossible to please."
TakeAPebble

Post by TakeAPebble »

I'm not taking sides here, so I'll say this now.

Shaun is a nice bloke, we met when I was visiting Darlington for a conference and we had a good laugh and a chat at the bar. He is a decent bloke, always points me in the right direction if I needed something I know he could help me on and also, is the reason I ally myself to one mantra, "Shy lads, get nowt" which always is on my mind when I'm going to rock concerts and feel nervous about talking to the band for autographs, or even to give my business cards to potential bands to work with, couple of months ago, I gave my business card to Uriah Heep band members (yeah that band that Lee Kerslake was in ;) )

Frank (with Gina) last time we spoke properly on UltimateRhoads, back in the golden years ;) Frank was very kind in letting me have my poem about our hero, shown to Delores and Kathy, was able to get a letter from both of them telling me what they thought of my poem. He has gave me a couple of the RR tuition business cards which are great also! And when we were talking regularly we had a good laugh and joke about all kinds of things.

Now the rest of you, names I don't recognise and names I do, you all add to a great forum here, and even though I ain't been on a lot, we get in bickers, every forum does, (trust me, I've been on a few forums and they usually bicker about similar sort of things) as my mum always say "You got to take the rough with the smooth when it comes to people" if you don't agree with someone, just remember, you have a nice X in the corner, click on it and walk away.

Now quit ya rattling at each other, spread love, not hate, and if you can't be assed spreading love, then spread chocolates or pizza, just spread anything but hate, most importantly spread the word about Randy Rhoads, because after all, if it wasn't for him, we wouldn't be here.

Simon
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

The voice of reason speaks....so Frank is speaking for everyone now. Cool but i must just be impossible to please.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

frank wrote:
frank wrote:
i spoke to kathy not too long ago about what she felt was her obligation to randys fans. she actually anguished about doing something fitting for his legacy. i told her "screw the fans. anything you send their way might shut them up for 10 minutes, and then they're back to whining. you can never please them.".
re-read the post dumbshit. kathy anguished about doing something fitting for his legacy. in other words, she was tormented and wanted to do right by the fans. I told her "screw them. they're ungrateful and impossible to please."
I feel bad for Kathy - she doesn't owe us fans anything. Nice of her to be concerned, and trying to do right by Randy's fans, even when she doesn't have to. Speaks volumes as to the type of good person she probably is - don't know, haven't met the lady, but that sounds like someone with integrity; I don't think anyone would dispute that.

I have to say I'm disappointed by your comments, Frank, but hey, if that's what you feel, so be it. It's just kind of disappointing that all Randy's fans seem to be included in that comment and its implications. Some of us don't clamour for everything, and are happy with what we have. But again, that's completely your prerogative, and I respect that. It just struck me as a bit harsh. And I say this with no tone, agenda, or anything else. Just my thoughts.

That being said, folks need to relax a bit - let's talk about the music!
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Cheers Simon ,,you need to be on here more often, you miss all the drama it's better then the 'soaps'.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

Hey frank didn't you know randy personally ?

If my memory serves me right you helped carry randys casket

I am sorry you feel the way you do frank but not all randy fans are greedy
chilinvilin
Cool Member

Post by chilinvilin »

randy will never die wrote:Hey frank didn't you know randy personally ?

If my memory serves me right you helped carry randys casket

I am sorry you feel the way you do frank but not all randy fans are greedy
I guess im one of those assholes for saying we have to much "Rudy getting in the way footage" LOL :?

I have made a few good posts though :!:
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

I told her "screw them. they're ungrateful and impossible to please.
Yes, we got that part.
Thanks Frank.

Nobody comes here because we have nothing new to discuss or discover, or pursue.

Don't tell me I need to study Randy's lessons to be a fan.
I don't want family stories, I don't need to know Randy better as a person.
I don't have to love every note the man played, either.

What the vast majority of folks here want to see is their favorite guitar player in the best light possible.
That would be footage. 1982 - his peak. It exists. Professionally done.

I DO believe Randy would want that. He did move to England to be a rock star with Ozzy Osbourne you know.
He was a rock star. That is how all of us came upon his talent. His rock stardom. Not from lessons at Musonia.
dfanucci

Post by dfanucci »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:
I have to say I'm disappointed by your comments, Frank, but hey, if that's what you feel, so be it. It's just kind of disappointing that all Randy's fans seem to be included in that comment and its implications. Some of us don't clamour for everything, and are happy with what we have. But again, that's completely your prerogative, and I respect that. It just struck me as a bit harsh. And I say this with no tone, agenda, or anything else. Just my thoughts.
I don't think Frank was talking about every Rhoads fan. I think he was talking about every Rhoads fan that he knew was going to have an issue with it. Nice forethought on his part, as he seemed to hit the nail on the head regarding some....

I really have no dog in this fight, but sometimes it is really, really, amazing to me to see the crap that surrounds anything Randy Rhoads.

I wish people would sometimes just take a step back and realize that Randy was a Son, a Brother, and a Friend to some, and those folks have every right to be protective of that...

I'm not "sticking up" for anyone, but I can honestly see why Frank, or Kathy would never want to deal with the "fans".

If one of my friends died unexpectedly, and for the rest of my life I had to walk the line Frank has had to regarding the subject of that friend, I don't think I could have done it.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

dfanucci wrote:
CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:
I don't think Frank was talking about every Rhoads fan. I think he was talking about every Rhoads fan that he knew was going to have an issue with it. Nice forethought on his part, as he seemed to hit the nail on the head regarding some....

I really have no dog in this fight, but sometimes it is really, really, amazing to me to see the crap that surrounds anything Randy Rhoads.

I wish people would sometimes just take a step back and realize that Randy was a Son, a Brother, and a Friend to some, and those folks have every right to be protective of that...

I'm not "sticking up" for anyone, but I can honestly see why Frank, or Kathy would never want to deal with the "fans".

If one of my friends died unexpectedly, and for the rest of my life I had to walk the line Frank has had to regarding the subject of that friend, I don't think I could have done it.
dfanucci, I agree with most of the points you make here, as they are good AND valid points. I don't think anyone doubts how hard it is to lose someone - it's very traumatic, and it changes your life forever. Having dealt with that before, I know. I don't presume to know how Randy's family, or Frank, felt, though, because that's none of my business. The comment just rubbed me the wrong way is all. I thought it was appropriate to make the distinction between "fans". I'm not trying to sound all butthurt about the comment, and honestly, my opinion and comments don't mean a hill of beans anyhow, but I did feel the need to comment and say something in defence of "the fans".

I think it's also important to note, though, that "fans" keep public figures' image and legacy alive, and to ignore them could potentially let said figures' legacy lapse into obscurity. Though this doesn't give license to people (fans) to be vindictive, cruel, or judgemental, people are people, and there's bound to be a few that just don't get it. Those people sometimes, sadly, ruin it for others. It's unfortunate, however, that the distinction can't be made. Painting everyone with the same brush is short-sighted, IMO. But again, it will be what it will be, and people, Frank in this case, can believe what he likes about the fan base. I just don't necessarily need to agree with it.

I've stated my piece, and I've done it, I think, in a respectful way. I didn't post my comments to get attention, kudos, or anything else. I posted because I disagreed with the comment, and didn't care for the swipe at fans. In the context of a forum, I see nothing wrong with that.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

I don't think that either the O's or the Rhoads want to further his legacy- to be honest- if Randy was indeed a perfectionist as many have indicated, I'm not entirely certain that Randy himself would want this "legacy", maybe he would have wanted to retire into obscurity once he left the band to pursue his degree. Also, Ozzy wasn't exactly sober at that particular time and I doubt that much footage (if any remains) would be coherent, if not downright embarrassing.

Who really knows? We can only speculate, much like family and friends themselves. Randy was probably at a very uncomfortable crossroads at the time of his death from the sounds of it, I can't fault the family for wanting to keep a tight leash on his public image. Especially when I think about the "documentary" fiasco, what a shame that is- regardless of how times the fans have gotten caught in the middle (waiting 31 yrs for After Hours) or downright screwed (the box set and/or the rereleased Blizzard/Diary albums) the only person that really matters in all of this can no longer speak for himself.
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
stress2stress2
Cool Member

Post by stress2stress2 »

Randy's legacy is probably best preserved and perpetuated by things like this....
http://www.bravewords.com/features/1001004
dfanucci

Post by dfanucci »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:
dfanucci, I agree with most of the points you make here, as they are good AND valid points. I don't think anyone doubts how hard it is to lose someone - it's very traumatic, and it changes your life forever. Having dealt with that before, I know. I don't presume to know how Randy's family, or Frank, felt, though, because that's none of my business. The comment just rubbed me the wrong way is all. I thought it was appropriate to make the distinction between "fans". I'm not trying to sound all butthurt about the comment, and honestly, my opinion and comments don't mean a hill of beans anyhow, but I did feel the need to comment and say something in defence of "the fans".

I think it's also important to note, though, that "fans" keep public figures' image and legacy alive, and to ignore them could potentially let said figures' legacy lapse into obscurity. Though this doesn't give license to people (fans) to be vindictive, cruel, or judgemental, people are people, and there's bound to be a few that just don't get it. Those people sometimes, sadly, ruin it for others. It's unfortunate, however, that the distinction can't be made. Painting everyone with the same brush is short-sighted, IMO. But again, it will be what it will be, and people, Frank in this case, can believe what he likes about the fan base. I just don't necessarily need to agree with it.

I've stated my piece, and I've done it, I think, in a respectful way. I didn't post my comments to get attention, kudos, or anything else. I posted because I disagreed with the comment, and didn't care for the swipe at fans. In the context of a forum, I see nothing wrong with that.
No worries. I, like many others I believe, didn't take your comments as harsh or derogatory. Like you said you just thought it was a swipe. I guess I was just trying to say that I don't think Frank was swiping at all fans. Just the ones who feel they are "owed" material and an all access pass to who/what Randy Rhoads was/has. I happen to agree with Frank in that this is not the case out of respect for his friend.

I believe RRFan4Ever has a pretty damn good point in that Randy may have just wanted to blend back in with how things used to be and not cared at all about his legacy with Ozzy. I think music meant more to him than that, and he maybe wanted his legacy to form later in his life (who know's really, it's just a guess on my part).

In any event, I did not know Randy, I don't know the Family (I have met the family, speaking with Delores and Kelly a mere 1 and a half after the accident). I don't know nor have never met Frank, but I do respect the man 100% for what he has tried to do regarding his friend, and I won't second guess the man or the family in their actions simply because it would be unfair to them and Randy.

When Randy's own flesh and blood has to worry about how the fans will take it when she wants to do something to honor him, there is something terribly wrong...
RRforeveRR

Post by RRforeveRR »

Hi all, RRfan4ever here- can't log in to that account from this computer, so I just created a new user name.

Just to expand upon the premise for the other post in this thread; just imagine that someone you know and love is experiencing completely hellish conditions with his employer, professional career, and its integrity- and then that person dies at a young age- before experiencing what s/he really wanted to do. From then on, your loved one is forever known for something that he or she wouldn't normally associate with. How would you feel? Especially when the employers were screwing with your royalties, pay and credits- and were even accused of drawing new contracts within hours of the death of your loved one?

Sadly, that is what really happened- it's well known that Randy was leaving the band at the time of his passing and he wasn't happy with the "rock star" life. And his story is nothing compared to what other musicians have experienced working for the O's.

I think what sucks is that the family could have paid tribute with a book of their own, if they had professionals they could have trusted implicitly -- well before the docu-drama occured and Margolis and company put together their own "fitting tribute"- at the expense of other's work and disputed rights to works, public image, etc. Of course, to each their own and there will always be rabid fans that can't get enough- however, as much as Randy was ill prepared to deal with the "rock star" lifestyle and its complications, I think that the family was even less prepared than he.

The point I wanted to make is that the reason his "legacy" is difficult to sort is that his life was pretty complicated at the time of his passing. It's understandable that the family would want to do right by their loved one, and sometimes that can only be achieved by personal tribute- such as the wine. There are many RR related relics to be had out there, unfortunately the most simple (and most clamored for) would be his music itself and that of his likeness. And when there is much money to be made when doing so, the family has to be even more considerate of how that which encapsulates the life of their loved one, is actually of their own loved one's wishes- and I don't think Randy wanted to be forever associated with either Ozzy or QR- but simply as a man that loved his guitar/s.
Gus
Cool Member

Post by Gus »

Personally, I don't think there's only one right way a legacy can be continued, or just one correct way for someone to be fan either (and only certain self-appointed gate-keepers have the right to dictate what that will be). Offensive behaviour is often in the eye of the beholder too. To me the most offensive behaviour is that certain members (and thankfully very few of them) feel they have the right to abuse people on here for holding a different point of view, and offering a thoughtful criticism or questioning why something is happening is not "bashing" BTW, but it actually indicates that someone still has the ability for independent thought. If you lack that ability then you can become gullible, believing everything you're told by certain folks, rather than relying on your own personal judgment about whether you think a statement is true or not, whether an item is for you or you or not etc.