3/19/82-3/19/13 RIP Randy

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

clashradio
Cool Member

Re: 3/19/82-3/19/13 RIP Randy

Post by clashradio »

Randy is looking down on all of us fans and smiling.
leftyaxeman

Post by leftyaxeman »

Still a fond memory, 31 years later. I responded to a thread in the live section and thought that today, it gives you insight to a humble, but amazing talent gone way before his time.

Went to a record store in Manhattan where Ozzy, Rudy & Randy were doing an album signing. It was right out of Spinal Tap. Those 3, a store clerk, myself & a couple of friends were the only people in the store. They were waiting for someone to come into the store for the signing & no one, not one other customer beside us. Needless to say, I took full advantage, ended up getting to speak w/Randy for about 30mins. Incredibly humble & nice guy. I had mentioned that I was studying classical guitar, & he came around the counter & we went off to the side to discuss composers, technique & pieces I was working on. I tried asking about Quiet Riot, he brushed it off & wanted to know more about my classical studies. For me, it was so refreshing to meet my guitar hero & find he was down to earth, not arrogant like Blackmore & Malmsteen(they didnt even want to deal with their fans). I left that day totally inspired. I'm still playing in bands to this day. Randy has always been, and will always be one of my biggest musical influences. Hope that didnt bore anyone.
Rhoads-Fan
Cool Member

Post by Rhoads-Fan »

Rest In Peace Mr. Randy Rhoads :cry:
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

I of course had to listen to some Randy today, however I learned lost and furthered my music knowledge and understanding today which IMO is the best honour I could do for Randy.

Miss you Randy
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Great story leftyaxeman.. I wish I could have met Randy. Did he mention any classical pieces he enjoyed playing?
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

RIP Randy

Wolfgangs Vault sent a link out to this:
http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/ozzy-osbo ... ign=130319

The show is downloadable from our section however I think it's worth checking it out.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

TakeAPebble wrote:I can't (obvious reasons, live in UK, got other things to save up for) but there in spirit always.

But yeah, 31 years wow, I remember being on UR for the 25th I think? Got my poem presented to Delores and got a fantastic letter from her and Kathy.

Simon
That was a real moving year. Your poem got presented along with Ian's brilliant artwork of Randy. Great thanks has to go to Frank for that, he helped orchestrate that of course.

It was also the time we introduced the 25th Anniversary overlay on site, if anyone can actually remember that 8)
TakeAPebble

Post by TakeAPebble »

skezza wrote:
TakeAPebble wrote:I can't (obvious reasons, live in UK, got other things to save up for) but there in spirit always.

But yeah, 31 years wow, I remember being on UR for the 25th I think? Got my poem presented to Delores and got a fantastic letter from her and Kathy.

Simon
That was a real moving year. Your poem got presented along with Ian's brilliant artwork of Randy. Great thanks has to go to Frank for that, he helped orchestrate that of course.

It was also the time we introduced the 25th Anniversary overlay on site, if anyone can actually remember that 8)

Yeah :) I remember it barely lol, but do remember it was like waiting to hear about survivors of a terrorist bombing to see the pictures of the 25th Anniversary going on at the grave, ya know? Yeah thanks to Frank, but also to Gina, as she also played a part in it too! Them two were like the forum Uncle and Aunty haha! I wonder if I should repost the letter (after all its probably lost in the black hole of the inter webs) Was a very very nice letter indeed.

Simon
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

Man, can't believe it's been 31 years. RIP, beloved man- you are still sorely missed!
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Post by Silver Rhoads »

leftyaxeman wrote:Still a fond memory, 31 years later. I responded to a thread in the live section and thought that today, it gives you insight to a humble, but amazing talent gone way before his time.

Went to a record store in Manhattan where Ozzy, Rudy & Randy were doing an album signing. It was right out of Spinal Tap. Those 3, a store clerk, myself & a couple of friends were the only people in the store. They were waiting for someone to come into the store for the signing & no one, not one other customer beside us. Needless to say, I took full advantage, ended up getting to speak w/Randy for about 30mins. Incredibly humble & nice guy. I had mentioned that I was studying classical guitar, & he came around the counter & we went off to the side to discuss composers, technique & pieces I was working on. I tried asking about Quiet Riot, he brushed it off & wanted to know more about my classical studies. For me, it was so refreshing to meet my guitar hero & find he was down to earth, not arrogant like Blackmore & Malmsteen(they didnt even want to deal with their fans). I left that day totally inspired. I'm still playing in bands to this day. Randy has always been, and will always be one of my biggest musical influences. Hope that didnt bore anyone.
Could you post a photo of your autographs? I talked with someone that went to the store signing that day.
He said Randy was super tiny and very nice.
He repeated many times that he couldn't believe how small Randy was.
He said not many people were there. The name of the store may have been
The Record Factory or just Record Factory, which has since closed all of its stores.
There are photos of a signing in the box set coffee table book which may be from the same store.
Have you seen those photos?
leftyaxeman

Post by leftyaxeman »

Geo Sav wrote:Great story leftyaxeman.. I wish I could have met Randy. Did he mention any classical pieces he enjoyed playing?
He didn't mention what specific pieces he was working on, but did mention he was studying classical. I had mentioned I was working on Pachebel's Canon in D, Chaconne in F minor, & he told me that Pachebel was his favorite composer. He was very interested in what I was studying, we spoke about Heitor Villa-Lobos, Francisco Tarrega, Enrique Granados, along with Bach. I was trying to find out about his studies, but he wanted to know about mine, which really surprised me. He was very down to earth, a regular guy. I was surprised how tiny he was, I'm 6'4" and was towering over him. It was a cool day to say the least. My guitar hero was cool. Thank god he wasn't a dick, lol. I probably would've stopped listening to him. Hope that helped.
leftyaxeman

Post by leftyaxeman »

Silver Rhoads wrote:
leftyaxeman wrote:Still a fond memory, 31 years later. I responded to a thread in the live section and thought that today, it gives you insight to a humble, but amazing talent gone way before his time.

Could you post a photo of your autographs? I talked with someone that went to the store signing that day.
He said Randy was super tiny and very nice.
He repeated many times that he couldn't believe how small Randy was.
He said not many people were there. The name of the store may have been
The Record Factory or just Record Factory, which has since closed all of its stores.
There are photos of a signing in the box set coffee table book which may be from the same store.
Have you seen those photos?

Sorry Silver Rhoads, I didn't see your post at first.

I can definitely post a photo of the autographs. I moved all my vinyl to the basement & will have to locate it. Family life has been crazy so it might be a few days before I get the chance to look for it. I kick myself for giving one of the autographs away to my sister-in-law(my brother's marriage crashed & burned)
that bitch!!! LOL...

Yeah, Randy was very tiny, I'm 6'4" and probably weighed about 210 at the time, he had to be a bit over a hundred lbs, we probably looked like Mutt & Jeff off to the side talking.

Think you're right in the store name, The Record Factory, it was on 8th street, across from Hendrix's Electric Lady Studios just off 6th av, if I remember correctly. When we arrived at the store, there were no fans at all, not one. aside from us, myself and 5 friends, it was right out of Spinal Tap b4 Spinal Tap existed.

I'll have to look through the book, I did a quick pass thru it when I received it as a gift from my wife, haven't watched the DVD yet either. I'll check.
Hope that was helpful.
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

poofters
Last edited by TAB on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

leftyaxeman wrote:
Geo Sav wrote:Great story leftyaxeman.. I wish I could have met Randy. Did he mention any classical pieces he enjoyed playing?
He didn't mention what specific pieces he was working on, but did mention he was studying classical. I had mentioned I was working on Pachebel's Canon in D, Chaconne in F minor, & he told me that Pachebel was his favorite composer. He was very interested in what I was studying, we spoke about Heitor Villa-Lobos, Francisco Tarrega, Enrique Granados, along with Bach. I was trying to find out about his studies, but he wanted to know about mine, which really surprised me. He was very down to earth, a regular guy. I was surprised how tiny he was, I'm 6'4" and was towering over him. It was a cool day to say the least. My guitar hero was cool. Thank god he wasn't a dick, lol. I probably would've stopped listening to him. Hope that helped.

Dude,you have just provided more pertinent,new fresh info than any yet to be released " documentary film" supposedly will.The most fresh story ive read about since the 1982 GP cover story.Hell,compared to the film,you could probably make a doc from your encounter alone.Very cool story.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Thanks leftyaxeman! That is great that you meet someone your a fan of and they are cool. I remember watching that Japanese randy tribute and they interview joe Holmes and he talked about bumping into Randy in the mall after touring and recording with ozzy and he was asking joe questions about his guitar and told him to study the diminished scale. Randy was a down to earth nice guy no doubt. I wish I had the chance to meet him.