Re: RANDY RHOADS' Family Sues Margolis and Klein

Post by Stiltzkin »

:lol: 8)
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
RRFan4Ever wrote:Also, I wouldn't recommend others reading the rest of the aforementioned article, as it's damning evidence of some of rock and metal's most beloved artists and where they *could have* found some of the material for their most famous songs, ever.
Too bad they didn't mention Diary of a Madman being stolen, huh?

Funnily, this brought up a totally unrelated memory (well mostly unrelated): Years ago I was on an internet bulletin board where someone asked for tab to Phantom of the Opera, "the original one, not the Iron Maiden song." To which he was given the reply, "Hmmm. Maiden's song was released in 1980 and Andrew Lloyd Webber's song was released in 1986, so which original do you want?" :D :lol:

I suppose that DOAM either wasn't known to the author, or that that one instance pales in comparison to the others listed in that article. I like how the author took the time to assemble sound bites of the material in question- it definitely substantiates the claim being made. But Cracked isn't supposed to be known for its credibility, only for satire. Strange how they are usually more credible than the reputable MSM outlets, being as though the articles normally center upon proof of the claims the authors make in their articles. Funny as hell tho!

Now I'm off to listen to the DOAM claim. . . . . .
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

Post by RhoadsRockPhotographer »

RRFan4Ever wrote:
RhoadsRockPhotographer wrote:

Sounds like Steven Rosen put together a nice book, which is why his name is FIRST LISTED in the authoring credits.
About the Author

Steven Rosen is a professional music journalist with a career spanning over 37 years. During this period, he has published well over 1,000 articles appearing in major periodicals originating from around the globe. Everywhere from the United States and Canada to Japan, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, England, Australia, Brazil and even Katmandu. Amongst the publications Rosen s work has appeared in are Guitar Player, Guitar World, Guitarist, Rolling Stone, Los Angeles Times, Playboy, Musician, US, Creem, Circus, Player, Total Guitar, Classic Rock, Mojo, Roadie Crew, This Is Rock, Rhythm, Drum! and a myriad of others. He is also a main contributor to the influential music site, Ultimate-Guitar. He was the West Coast correspondent for Guitar World magazine for four years during the seminal mid- 80s when he wrote seven cover stories (three lead features on Edward Van Halen are now recognized as pivotal pieces on that artist). As a contributor to Guitar Player magazine, he wrote a prodigious 16 covers in a six-year span (one out of every four was his). The 1977 Frank Zappa front-cover contribution represented the periodical s biggest selling issue to that date. Additionally, GP, in two special reprint issues, utilized his stories on Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page as cover material (Rock Guitarists published by Guitar Player Productions and Rock Guitarists Vol. II distributed by Guitar Player Books). He served as West Coast Editor for Fachblatt, one of Germany s most respected and highest circulated magazines (during his tenure, more than half of the cover features were Rosen-based compositions). He currently lends his hand to Player, a Japanese periodical employing his services for over 30 years. A recognized authority on the eclectic world of rock, Rosen has been tapped six times to write books on some high-profile individuals (including one book on the history of rock for children). His first book was The Beck Book on guitarist Jeff Beck that required a second printing due to the crazed demand (published in Japan in 1978). The Artist Formerly Known As Prince was part of the Rock Lives series orchestrated by Castle Communications and distributed by The Penguin Group (1995). Bruce Springsteen, an eponymous-titled bio published by Castle Communications was also part of the Rock Lives series (1995). The Story of Black Sabbath: Wheels Of Confusion was a book on the classic metal band that is now in its third printing (1996). Free At Last: The Story of Free and Bad Company was published in 2001. In 2008, he wrote The Story of Rock Music, a book on the history of rock music for children. In 2011, Rosen collaborated with Andrew Klein to pen an extensive biography of the late Randy Rhoads. The iconic Quiet Riot / Ozzy Osbourne guitarist perished in an airplane accident in 1982, just as his star began to shine.
Q: Why did they even need Steven Rosen's participation?

A: To insure it was completed before 2020, among other reasons.
LoL, and it also sounds as though Rosen wrote that piece, too.

It immediately brought to mind when Kevin DuBrow refused to work with the doc, within 24 hours there was a scathing piece in one of the aforementioned publications that he was "dissing" Randy- wonder how that come about?

I agree they banked on Rosen's credibility.

This answer is pretty rich (along those lines).
What kickstarted the idea to write a book about Rhoads?

I was working on a different project with Peter M. Margolis, who was a good friend of Randy’s. Randy was Peter’s guitar teacher. We decided to do this together through that association. I was very familiar with Randy’s story. I’ve been obsessed with him since I was 12, so I knew I could write a book, although I didn’t know if it would be any good. When we finished, we were pleased but we knew it could be much better. That’s when I was introduced to Steven Rosen, who’s a brilliant writer, someone who’s seasoned and experienced. He helped me express myself, and he brought the book up to a much higher level. It became what it is, thanks to him.
LynchTechHead1

Post by LynchTechHead1 »

Where are we at with this lawsuit? I'm very curious...
kamalayka
Cool Member

Post by kamalayka »

Hi guys. Long time no see.

I've been away from the whole Randy-verse for a while.

Just checking in.
stress2stress2
Cool Member

Post by stress2stress2 »

new?
Attachments
rr.jpg
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

I'm also interested in how the lawsuit is going. I hope we get an update soon.
acesteele

Post by acesteele »

Sky wrote:Regardless of how glossy the book turned out and how much people on this site like it, the people behind the book acquired and knowingly used material that they didn't have permission or the right to use. Margolis & Klein pissed off Randy's family and his friends during the making of their documentary, and now they've disregarded contracts and the copyright law. It's about time they were called to account for their actions.
Sky

EXACTLY RIGHT!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

acesteele wrote:
Sky wrote:Regardless of how glossy the book turned out and how much people on this site like it, the people behind the book acquired and knowingly used material that they didn't have permission or the right to use. Margolis & Klein pissed off Randy's family and his friends during the making of their documentary, and now they've disregarded contracts and the copyright law. It's about time they were called to account for their actions.
Sky

EXACTLY RIGHT!
I agree 10000%
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
acesteele wrote:
Sky

EXACTLY RIGHT!
I agree 10000%
but i think the book should still be aloud to be made for rhoads fans BUT i think that Margolis & Klein have to Give 70% OF ALL of what they make on the book to the Rhoads famiy

That seems fair
Yes/No
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

randy will never die wrote:but i think the book should still be allowed to be made for Rhoads fans BUT i think that Margolis & Klein have to Give 70% OF ALL of what they make on the book to the Rhoads' family

That seems fair
Yes/No
I disagree. Sure a book would be nice, but ONLY if done through proper channels.

Just my point of view, but I have an issue with anyone who tries to work around the proper channels and claims to be a fan. No one ever heard of Pete Margolis prior to the documentary fiasco, yet he claims he wanted to do this because he'd been a student of Randy's and wanted to honor him. He NEVER tried to be a part of this community by sharing anything regarding knowing Randy Rhoads.

Personally I think he saw Randy as a meal ticket and never once thought of him after 1982 until he hit on the idea of making a name for himself at Randy's expense.
alborg
Cool Member

Post by alborg »

Some great info from the author on the Les Paul forum for those who are interested...

As for audio recordings, Tommy Aldridge has stated many times that they recorded through the board every night. He still has all of the board tapes. In fact, he and Randy went out to the truck after the show, the night the Tribute album was recorded, and listened to the recordings. He said Randy walked out and couldn't listen to it. Randy said, "It's atrocious and I never want to hear it again." He was very critical of himself. He was a perfectionist. Why they chose that concert over the King Biscuit show, I will never know. Ozzy made the final call because he hated his vocals on the KB tapes. It doesn't make sense because we all know he rerecords his vocals anyway. So, to answer your question, yes, there are lots more recordings. In addition, Bob Daisley has an enormous amount of material that may never see the light of day. He recorded every writing session, every rehearsal, and he has studio recorded songs that never made the records. He also has the album versions of the songs with alternate lead solos that were abandoned. And he has a four song demo the band recorded in a recording studio with a different drummer before Lee joined the band. The drummer on the demo was named Dixie Lee. He was going to be the drummer had Lee Kerslake not come along. The 4 songs recorded were Crolwey, Crazy Train, Goodbye to Romance, and Looking at you, Looking at me. These versions of Crazy Train and Goodbye to Romance are way better than what's on the Blizzard album, in my opinion.

As for the photo, I apologize, I don't have a copy to post. However, I'm sure a quick Internet search will reveal it for you. The photo shows the entire band sitting in a booth like you'd see in a restaurant. They are sitting around the table and Randy is holding a black LP custom with two humbuckers. It is definitely not the same guitar he later purchased with 3 pickups. I believe the photo was taken the night they showed up in a small club unannounced to do a practice show. They told the club owner the name of the band was The Law because Ozzy didn't want anyone to know they were there. They wanted to keep it hush hush so that they could just practice the set before the first tour.

By the way, there is a pro shot concert. The band was filmed in summer 1981 at the Capitol Theater in Passaic New Jersey. The entire show was filmed with 3 cameras, in black and white. Every concert in that theater was filmed from 1973-1984. Randy discussed the filming of the show in great detail, via a letter that he sent to his fiancé that night after the show. Whether or not that show ever sees the light of day still remains to be seen still 32 years later! It's very frustrating.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for being so kind. I've been a lurker here for many years and I really don't post anything unless I have something to add that's of any value. I saw this thread and I wanted to answer the question, I didn't mean to draw attention to myself. Thanks again!

Hi, yes. You can get it on eBay, Amazon, or the Velocity Books web site. Thank you! We have some left. Once they are gone that's it. We're not printing any more copies. We also produced a film documentary about Randy. It's called Randy Rhoads the Quiet Riot years. That DVD also comes with a giant oversized coffee table book. You can get that at redmatchproductions.com - the bio is at velocitybooks.org. Thanks again.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showt ... p?t=186332
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

but i think the book should still be aloud to be made for rhoads fans BUT i think that Margolis & Klein have to Give 70% OF ALL of what they make on the book to the Rhoads famiy

That seems fair
Yes/No[/quote]

Whether WE think it's "fair" or not is irrelevant, RWND. In the eyes of the law, this is a different story. If copyrights/agreements, etc. were broken, then M&K are on the hook, and I'm no expert on law, but I assume the law will see it that way also. MAYBE they could work out some deal like this (70%) but it's highly doubtful. The deed has already been done, trust has been broken, all that jazz. At the end of the day, it's wrong.

That being said, this book has been one of the best pieces, if not THE BEST piece, of Randy memorabilia that's been available. I'm not sad that I own the book by any means, as it's great, but I just wish the proper channels had been followed, like I said before. It really, really puts other future "official" projects in limbo for who knows how long.

It's a real grey area with this book in terms of what we as fans want, and what's right copyright wise.
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
acesteele wrote:
Sky

EXACTLY RIGHT!
I agree 10000%
Paul Wolfe wrote:
randy will never die wrote:but i think the book should still be allowed to be made for Rhoads fans BUT i think that Margolis & Klein have to Give 70% OF ALL of what they make on the book to the Rhoads' family

That seems fair
Yes/No
I disagree. Sure a book would be nice, but ONLY if done through proper channels.

Just my point of view, but I have an issue with anyone who tries to work around the proper channels and claims to be a fan. No one ever heard of Pete Margolis prior to the documentary fiasco, yet he claims he wanted to do this because he'd been a student of Randy's and wanted to honor him. He NEVER tried to be a part of this community by sharing anything regarding knowing Randy Rhoads.

Personally I think he saw Randy as a meal ticket and never once thought of him after 1982 until he hit on the idea of making a name for himself at Randy's expense.

Ever go back and re-read things you've posted and realized you've made some ignorant comments?

During my time away from here I looked into this issue with the book and I am no longer willing to stand by the above statements. I've seen no actual proof that anyone went about things improperly regarding publishing this book. All I've seen is hearsay which would be inadmissible in court.

Currently, I cannot find any published articles online regarding the status of this lawsuit. It's been a year since this thread was first posted and I am wondering if the Rhoads' family have been vindicated or if the court found Klein to be innocent of the charges. Anyone know the status of this or is this typical media sensationalist bullshit where you blow up a subject to get hits on your site and then never follow up?
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Are there any updates with this? Couldn't find anything through Google.