RANDY RHOADS' Family Sues Margolis and Klein

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Re: RANDY RHOADS' Family Sues Margolis and Klein

Post by rice_pudding »

hansolo wrote:I'm not buying the-Rhoads-family-wanted-a-Randy-documentary-but-it-was-poor-editing defense... Who's Robin Trower?
Robin Trower is a very talented British guitarist, and was regarded as an equal to his peers in composing, progressive, blue/rock, fusion. These days I gather he is regarded as a hendrix/gilmour copy cat. In truth he was their equal, and very much at the forefront of developing that style/genre. I believe Hendrix was a fan actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH8F1t0fmyc

As far as the documentary goes, poor editing is probably a bad description, used by an audience who don't know the language of media. I'm not going to sit here and cuss something I haven't seen, but I had some concerns over the direction the project seemed to be taking, and maybe some of those fears were accurate.

As I've said I think the project lost sight of it's demographic. If you just want to have someone 'explain' in musical terms that RR was great, Troy Stetina would be perhaps the most qualified person for the job imo, or even our own CaptMatt could do it. Hearing that other famous guitarists got 'excited' by Randys playing might polish some fan pride, but it really contributes nothing. Maybe the Producers got carried away at the prospect of all the famous names they could meet on the project.

I think it's more likely that Peter or someone else started to view the project as something that could do well at festivals, and reach a mass audience the way other niche documentaries have (Grizzly Man for example). People like John 5 were perhaps a desperate attempt to give the thing contemporary relevance and draw in a larger viewer base. The project should have just been a story about Randy, maybe the production lost sight of that, and started to consider how it could enhance their own careers. That's harsh to say, but they could well have started to envision how the project might turn out, rather than follow it along its natural course. Documentaries shouldn't be forced and maybe they let themselves get carried away. Or maybe the project was heading somewhere they hadn't anticipated, and they wanted to fight the tide?

I also wonder if they tried to bring too much production value to the project. I remember seeing some pictures where they seemed to have two or three broadcast cameras... for a sit down interview. Just seems like a waste of money to me, not to mention all the extra time it would take in post. And by their own admission, it sounds like they overshot. Dunno, personally I would have gone about such a documentary in a totally different fashion, but that's just my sensibility.

In the end I think 'editing' is a poor description, direction may be better. From what I remember of the trailer it seems more likely that the film was simply too invested in saying 'Randy was great' rather than making any meaningful statements with regards to 'why he was great' or 'who he was'.

I have no real idea what motivates the Rhoads family stance towards their boys legacy, but if anything I've just said is accurate they would probably be disappointed with the outcome. I can only imagine they hoped for an intimate, accurate portrayal of Randy and that isn't what they got.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
JAY
Cool Member

Post by JAY »

The family can do what they want and i would sue if someone stole my property and then profited from it. BTW IMO Randy is famous enough-ever think it might be painful or really hurt the family to remember that time of their life? My Dad passed away in 07 and there are things and places I cant go because the memory is too painful and remind me of my loss-if some of you thought of this or experienced a loss you might get it,until then i look forward to you growing up.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

The Robin Trower comment was a joke but I don't hear Robin Trower on the radio or see much of him. I had a friend who was very into him and Rory Gallagher but I never got into them heavy. The reality is the family seems to squash anything Randy. Didn't they put out a cease and desist when the trailer was put on a site? Every Randy fan freaked. The hair stood up on my neck. We saw some entertainment tonight footage we had never seen before of Randy playing the OTM solo. I bet Mrs. Rhoads filled her panties when she saw the Jackie-on-the-floor-with-Randy-on-top part. "Oh my god, Randy is shown to be a human, NO!" I doubt it was contracted by them. I think they saw the trailer and said, "We own Randy's likeness and we only want the OZZY albums out there." Anyone want to answer WHAT have they put out? Are they planning anything in the future? The answer is more wine and no. This "Oh, there is a surprise coming out for Randy fans" is BS because any word of mouth is going to help promote something. Of course Sharon did that and then they baited and switched. South Hampton and "You can hear the guys talking in the studio" were pulled from the box. What other carrots lay ahead of us Randy fans? I ain't a mushroom. You can't just keep me in the dark and feed me sh!t.

Once again those claiming to be in the know are silent with no information and acting like a complete bastard. Piss off if you ain't got anything to say!
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Randy died in '82. It was painful for a lot of us and his absence is felt to this day. No, we aren't family, merely distant acquaintances but it has been thirty-one years. I ask again, what are the family doing to introduce Randy to younger people? Remember the plaque on his tomb reads, "An inspiration to young people." We miss him and want to see him again.

I taped a concert 10 years ago. When the concert was done, I kept taping. It cut about a half an hour into the ride home. One of the guys in the car died a few years later. His best friend every now and again plays that show and listens to us in the car because it's his friend still alive, captured on this recording. He misses him and thanked me for recording the show.

Jay Banbury? I bought your posters. Any new ones out? I wanted to see the alien mask one make it to a poster. I could ask you if you were exploiting Randy but I was happy someone was putting something out of Randy. I bought them no questions asked. Randy fans are like that. What was it like to deal with the Rhoads family and Osbourne's to get the posters approved? Yes, I have had quite a few passing as we all get older and I miss every person who is no longer with us. I wish I had something more to remember them by.
blindleadingtheblind

Post by blindleadingtheblind »

This is what happened.
Peter was given the ok to do the film and the stipulations were:
1. No nasty sex stuff.
2. No drugs and booze stuff.
3. Kelle Rhoads music on the doc.
4. No outside influence! Including friends and family members. This means if Kelly Garni or Kevin
Debrow or Kelle Rhoads wanted to tell their version of the story to get more (air time) and promote themselves… they were to be removed from the film! I think we all have seen the signs of this.

Kevin was manipulated very early. It is rumored through Kelly Garni, that he was told by Digitech Artist Relations person, that another person was trying to get his daughter a gig in Kevin’s band and had access to information about the documentary through Lori Holland and another person. This person told Kevin they were going to cut him from the film and replace his vocal on the Quiet Riot stuff in an LA studio for the doc. Kevin lost it and began to attack Peter Margolis and well… you seen how that fire lit up. You can confirm this with Kelly Garni. That is what Kevin was talking about that someone had told him some stuff.

Kelle and Kelly joined forces to attempt # 4 above to try and influence Peter to promote themselves. Peter fought this tooth and nail and tried to keep the doc on the right track. The card that Kelle Garni had was his partner in crime was a family member that could easily influence Dee and Kathy for the most part. Kelle and Kelly quickly became enemies with Peter and attacking him with the Rhoads family on all fronts.

2 key things happened!
• Mike Smalt Photos
• Leaked Doc footage

As you can imagine, Kelle and Kelly used those two things to put the final nail in the coffin. The Mike Smalt photos were sent to Peter along with the rest of the bad photos from the crash. Peter wanted to see if anything could be used for the film but never told the family he had access to these photos. Romeo Rose did the rest via ultimaterhoads.com as the publisher. Soon after, the family reviewed the film.. Kelle Rhoads music did not make the cut and gas was thrown on the fire. “Poor Editing” ask yourself! Out of the three who is qualified (professionally) to make that statement? Kelle, Kathy or Dee?

Kelly Garni decided to go solo and try and trademark Randy’s name and make some money bootlegging and got caught. He also created a huge story to side fans with himself about his stuff being ripped off by Peter because he knew about the pressure on Peter. Fans finally see the real Kelly Garni and still lick his wounds for some reason?

Peter decides to help put out a couple of books and video and all the sudden all of you think he is god again? Kelle Rhoads throws all of the gas on the fire.

RANDY RHOADS' Family Sues Margolis and Klein

+1
Last edited by blindleadingtheblind on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meadsie

Post by meadsie »

Folks - lets have some respect for Frank please.

Without him our insight into Randy as a person and a friend would be a lot less.

I don't and have never seen Frank as a spokesperson for the Rhoads' family - just simply a man who was lucky enough to spend a great deal of time with his friend, mentor and teacher - Randy Rhoads.
And a man who has willingly shared his memories with us.

Huge Respect Frank.

Richard

Blind leading the blind - great insight, how do you know so much.....? :shock:

Jay - totally agree with you, the family can indeed do what ever they wish, it was their brother and son who was killed. It is just sad for the fans that every glimmer of hope that ever appears in some way gets quashed (By many parties).
blindleadingtheblind

Post by blindleadingtheblind »

I agree, Frank is the only truthful link you have to Randy at the moment.

It's not that i know so much. Truth is always overlooked with opinion and well hidden. In some cases people will not accept the truth and that is where we are now.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

blindleadingtheblind wrote: Peter was given the ok to do the film and the stipulations were:
1. No nasty sex stuff.
2. No drugs and booze stuff.
3. Kelle Rhoads music on the doc.
4. No outside influence! Including friends and family members. This means if Kelly Garni or Kevin
Debrow or Kelle Rhoads wanted to tell their version of the story to get more (air time) and promote themselves… they were to be removed from the film! I think we all have seen the signs of this.
without 1 and 2, it would be very boring,
and doesn't 3-4 take eachother out? having Kelles music on it
surely promotes him...
halo8th
Cool Member

Post by halo8th »

EVERY-body's dropped the ball on attempting to preserve the legacy of Randy. I've followed this years for now - and i'm at the point of just moving on and giving up hope of anything.

Randy's family : haven't done jacks**t to preserve his legacy, no matter what they say. Its almost as if they've tried to squash it instead.
Ozzy/Sharon : They have done nothing either. The re-issues - big deal. Even though they should pretty much understand that nearly all their riches came from what Bob Daisley and Randy did (without those 2 = no riches. End of story, no discussion), they're "too good" to show up at anniversary's or anything. Instead they try and cover up stories.
Margolis : no comment needed.

Shame to all. The person that seemed to do Randy right the most was, surprisingly enough, Kevin DuBrow.
Lespauly
Cool Member

Post by Lespauly »

Just a shame nothing has been done for Randy except these 2 books in what 30yrs?
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

halo8th wrote:EVERY-body's dropped the ball on attempting to preserve the legacy of Randy. I've followed this years for now - and i'm at the point of just moving on and giving up hope of anything.
My thoughts exactly. The plot has been lost for a long time. It's deviated so far from what it really is, and what it's always been - a guy with incredible talent and his guitar, simply wanting to make music and share it with the world - that it would be laughable, if it weren't so sad.

As much as I enjoy Randy's music, it takes a real effort to set aside the drama that is always on the periphery. In the end, though, it's the MUSIC that matters. It's accessible to more or less everyone, and it's pretty hard, if not impossible, to twist the music and what it means to people, around.

Randy was human and wasn't perfect, but he made great music, and left behind a pretty positive impact on people, whether they knew him personally or not. Let's focus on that, and let all the other nonsense be what it will be.

That being said, I think it's time for a "Randy break", for me at least. Put the CDs away for a few months, then break them out down the line again and rediscover what it was that you enjoyed about his music to begin with.

And to those that think his music will die away if you do that? Doubtful. Great art and those who made it will live on. All the "extra stuff" that surrounds it that is non-important or petty will eventually fall away. What will be will be, and what is meant to surface will surface.
SanDimasCharvel
Cool Member

Post by SanDimasCharvel »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:
Randy was human and wasn't perfect, but he made great music, and left behind a pretty positive impact on people, whether they knew him personally or not.
Nicely put.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

in hindsight, I wonder how many would be willing to work on something Randy related again
without the risk of facing a lawsuit.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

Stiltzkin wrote:in hindsight, I wonder how many would be willing to work on something Randy related again
Most professionals would uphold the terms of agreed contracts. The lawsuit will put Randy in the public eye so maybe someone with integrity, who's worthy of making a film about him, will come to light. I hope so.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

Stiltzkin wrote:in hindsight, I wonder how many would be willing to work on something Randy related again
Given how this whole thing went down, probably not many. This was a chance to create something spirited, special, and from the heart, and for a litany of reasons, it fell flat on its face. I think most people who participated will look at this as a "once bitten, twice shy" scenario. And that's a real shame. People's good will towards a project like this only goes so far, and it looks to me like the ensuing fiasco will do more to steer people away from similar projects, not towards them. I hope I'm wrong, but honestly, I just don't see it.

Doing Randy justice in a meaningful way and having everyone onside and happy = the impossible dream.