RANDY RHOADS' Family Sues Margolis and Klein

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

jckmdcn

Re: RANDY RHOADS' Family Sues Margolis and Klein

Post by jckmdcn »

this is what gets me - why does everybody (especially the family) HOARD everything? I'm glad Peter and Andrew and Ron put out what they did. They knew Randy, they hung out with him, they have photos to prove it. IF they want to share it with us, that is their right. I just don't get how everyone talks so great about Randy (of which he is great), but won't release anything. The family has all this stuff, not releasing it, Bob has these "grail" tapes, not releasing it, Ozzy/Sharon has stuff, not releasing it. Please people, if you really liked/loved Randy, just put it out there, stop worrying about money. I don't want to hear anything about law suits and permissions, you can post anything online - on youtube or such, if you want to avoid lawsuits, just say it was stolen, say you lost it, it's that easy. Bob (Daisley) could post the tapes online today and there would be no course to stop it.

On that note, I'll buy anything Randy, except $5000.00+ guitars...lol
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

jckmdcn wrote:if you want to avoid lawsuits, just say it was stolen, say you lost it, it's that easy. Bob (Daisley) could post the tapes online today and there would be no course to stop it.
no, it's not that easy :!: you would probably be tried in a court and they would have to decide
if that "excuse" is reasonable. if it it were that simple, you could logically commit any crime
and then get away with it just by saying "I didn''t do it" :lol:
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

skezza wrote:I think the problem is the time came and went to make a Randy Rhoads documentary that would have made an impact. I hate to say this but I feel kids are now looking elsewhere for inspiration due to Randy's legacy being totally neglected by certain individuals.

It makes me shudder when I think of how many opportunities they could have released a documentary and made an impact...
Coincidentally, I think that's one of the reasons the documentary failed. They seemed to be interviewing so many random guitarists; almost trying to convince the audience that Randy was great - because Steve Vai says so! All respect to Steve Vai (John 5, and others), but do I need to see him tell me RR was great? If the audience aren't excited by the music in the first place, I doubt discussions of music theory or mere opinion would convince anyone. That's not how music works.

I started to worry that the documentary had lost perspective of its core demographic a long time ago, and I'm sure that's one of a few key reasons it's failed.

The early 2000s or 90s would have been a good time for a documentary. As it is the last decent documentary I've seen was MTV's history of heavy metal. And that was about six or seven years ago.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

jckmdcn wrote:this is what gets me - why does everybody (especially the family) HOARD everything? I'm glad Peter and Andrew and Ron put out what they did. They knew Randy, they hung out with him, they have photos to prove it. IF they want to share it with us, that is their right. I just don't get how everyone talks so great about Randy (of which he is great), but won't release anything. The family has all this stuff, not releasing it, Bob has these "grail" tapes, not releasing it, Ozzy/Sharon has stuff, not releasing it. Please people, if you really liked/loved Randy, just put it out there, stop worrying about money. I don't want to hear anything about law suits and permissions, you can post anything online - on youtube or such, if you want to avoid lawsuits, just say it was stolen, say you lost it, it's that easy. Bob (Daisley) could post the tapes online today and there would be no course to stop it.

On that note, I'll buy anything Randy, except $5000.00+ guitars...lol
I think the hoarding is simply a poorly construed attempt to hold onto the 'supposed 'value of these things, be they pictures, video, audio, or just memories.

For instance if Bob Daisley were to release something for free, I'm sure the O's would sue instantly. Not because the 'grail tapes' necessarily affect them (and if you really wanted to, you could probably edit bits with Ozzy out), but because any RR content on the market, free or otherwise, detracts from the potential value of whatever they have hidden away.

Likewise, if Bob released a bunch of photos of him and Randy, perhaps certain photographers who have been hoarding images would get riled?

Certainly things could be circulated any number of ways. But looking at what Apple have been up to lately, US copyright law seems to be very broken. In the real world most content related to RR would be fairly inconsequential and available, but as it is, even the most innocent gesture could be met with a 'cease and desist' or other legal ramifications.
www.rstorey.co.uk
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Wow...how sad this has become. Weird how the book was released in August, with a good deal of fanfare, yet the family find out about it only recently?
If I remember correctly, way back in '07 when this was first put into motion, the family supposedly had background checks done on Margolis & Co., contracts were drawn up, a lot had to be done prior to one frame being filmed.
It was the Rhoads' who gave the green light and said "You're the guy."
Now, of course, all of that has changed. Maybe they're pissed or embarrased, as the only group of people to honor the guy on the 30th anniversary of his passing were the "villians" of this tragic tale. Not the Osbournes, not the Rhoads.
How long before they go after Ron Sobol as well? Not that I want them to, but after all, we learned from Ron's material that Randy wasn't the most faithful guy with the ladies in his life, he left QR in the dust with little notice, and for a guy who didn't drink alcohol, (Dee's words), there sure were an awful lot of pictures in Ron's book of Randy with what appeard to be, adult beverages...maybe he was holding them for Kelly?
Someone finally painted Randy as a normal human...kudos, Ron!
I have no problem with either project, nor the people who brought them to us.
This is going to sound odd, but it seems the family is only interested in releasing items that are available to a very small group of fans, (items with a very large price tag). Aside from the wine, ('nuff said about that!), can anyone name one item that has been available to the general public, that costs under $100 US? We were always led to believe that the estate allowed nothing other than guitar magazine articles, as they did not want to appear to be making money off the name of their late son/brother...it no longer appears that way.
I still think of Kelle at NAMM when the relic was unveiled, something along the lines of some kid picking up that guitar someday...what? a kid from a gated community or something?
It also appears the D'Argenzio's will regularly have Randy releated events at their winery come each 12/6 & 3/19.
I do feel badly for the family, as it is painfully obvious that they're still grieving...I understand that only recently, Randy's car was finally removed from the driveway...his bedroom reamains a time capsule from '82...things like this lead me to believe that maybe the family aren't the best choice to represent Randy's estate. I don't know who, certainly not Sharon. What anyone had to say in the Dakota film concerning the Ozzy era would clash with the revisionist history of the 30 Years After the Blizzard doc.
IMO, that is the heart of the problem with the doc: Nov/79-Mar/82.
It's funny how the doc has been shelved due to "abysmal editing", considering the editing on Ron's doc looks pretty spiffy!
Peter, Dakota and the family had a falling out. Seeing how Peter was using his own money, as well as his own time to make this happen for Randy's legacy, I saw the book as a way of trying to recoup some of what he lost, and like most, I fully expected to find some of what would have been in the doc, included in the book.
I still believe some of this has to do with Kelle expecting his music to be used as the doc's score. This theory could be what Kevin was getting at, when he chose to exclude himself from the project.
Sarzo's participation nonwithstanding, of course!
Just my opinion, aside from that, I am very glad I did not hesitate ordering either book
~T.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
ThreeMan

Post by ThreeMan »

Glad my book, QR doc are being delivered today!
Gus
Cool Member

Post by Gus »

Further proof of just how factionalized the Rhoads legacy camps are, but are people really surprised about this? The family has spent 30 years portraying Randy as a saint, and the Velocity book does a fair bit to show him as just a regular guy with strengths and weaknesses... And then we have some of the internal family politics mentioned in that book as well. They probably do hate some of the content of the book.
As for the bigger picture, when the doco first started there was talk that it may translate into a feature film. Now that's where the serious money gets made. Obviously there's no doco, but there may have been a fear that this might happen with the Velocity work as the template. This legal action will obliterate any chance of that.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Well this has opened up a big can of worms, i cannot honestly see how the Rhoads can win anything out of this law suit. All i can understand is the name and image of RR being used without the family's permission. If that was the case we should never see RR in any magazines or media material. We / us don't need permission to post on this site. Copyright does say that the use of an image etc does come under the act that it cannot be used on the internet. But i'll not hold my breath as this site is one of the places we can see and read about Randy without the shit hitting the fan. The original docu is owned by Dakota. Margolis and Klein are nothing more then contributors to the docu. They gathered the info needed i.e interviews etc. They funded the project and made a separate book, not from this material. The photos used are photos that have had the original photographers permission and all fees have been covered to use them in the book.
As far as the family go about hoarding stuff and not letting the fans have anything. Well thats down to the running of the estate and any legacy. If they want RR to be remembered do they need more books films etc. I'm sure he would still be remembered if the books and the docu never happened. That's how they'll be looking at this, plus they are not getting anything from this. If Kathy wants to use Randy to pull in the punters to sell wine, let her do that. If Kelle wants to sell his cd's at Randy's memorial let him carry on. It's not something i agree with, but hey they can do WTF they like its the name that counts and they still carry that name Rhoads. In the best wishes of Delores they will only go ahead on a product with it being agreed upon with the vote of approval. If it's done without the approval it's wrong. I would hate for someone to do a book about my 'dead' brother without my approval. So i can understand that they are pissed plus they obviously think that the book is the salvaged interviews put into book form. Which i have been told is not the case. The interviews of many people who pulled out i.e Bernie Torme, Bob Daisley etc they are not mentioned in the book. So i'm sure that they'd be wise enough to not use any content without the interviewers permission.
As far as Bob Daisley giving up 'the grail' for free. Why the fuck should he just hand it over so some asshole can make money from something he owns shit ozzy did the same with Blizzard and Diary. He offered it to the docu but because it contains Ozzy material it would have to be ok'd by the O's. $haron wouldn't play ball so it'll never be heard, until they give it the green for go. It has to be done legally so it can be released officially, not on youtube FFS. If it was so easy it would of been out there...i'm done !!
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Hendrix has a new album coming out. Maybe I'll join Ultimate Hendrix because it sucks to be a Randy fan.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Joe why does it suck because the familly don't approve ...The book is still available so why do they have to upset the apple cart.
alborg
Cool Member

Post by alborg »

hansolo wrote:Hendrix has a new album coming out. Maybe I'll join Ultimate Hendrix because it sucks to be a Randy fan.
The Hendrix estate is run by his sister & they seem to be doing OK...
Janie Hendrix flew down here to host a live tribute show fundraiser.

Janie Hendrix To Introduce Jimi Hendrix Tribute Show In Melbourne

by Paul Cashmere on June 12, 2012

Janie Hendrix, the sister of Jimi Hendrix and President and CEO of Experience Hendrix LLC, will visit Melbourne to introduce the Jimi Hendrix Tribute Fundraiser for the Official Hendrix Park in Seattle.

Experience Hendrix LLC is the company founded by Jimi and Jane’s father Al Hendrix to look after the estate of Jimi Hendrix. The company is based in Seattle.

The show in June 23 at The Forum will feature Bob Spencer (Skyhooks), Brett Garsed (Nelson), Charlie Owen (The Beasts of Bourbon), Joel Silbersher (Tendrils), Daniel Spencer (Richard Clapton band), Dave Leslie (Baby Animals), Jimi Hocking (The Screaming Jets), Phil Manning (Chain), Steve Edmonds (Jimmy Barnes Band), and Stuart Fraser (Noiseworks).

Janie will announce a special global effort to raise funds for the park. It was inspired by the music and legacy of Jimi Hendrix, the park, named in his honor, will beautify Seattle, motivate youth and others to achieve in music and art, and strengthen the cultural pulse of the Emerald City, Jimi Hendrix’s hometown. $US1.4 million is needed to complete the project.

“Seeing how much Aussies revere Jimi Hendrix and how excited the official Experience Hendrix camp is to come to Australia, I know this is the beginning of something ongoing and growing to spread the beautiful message and music of Jimi.” said Deborah Semer.

Additional funds will be raised on the night with the auction of a Fender guitar. Marc Christowski of Empire Touring states, “We are very happy to do whatever we can to help honor Jimi’s musical legacy.”

Additional donations can be made anytime through the foundation’s website, http://www.jimihendrixparkfoundation.org.

This is the kind of thing the Rhoads family should have long ago been doing in keeping Randy's name alive instead of letting it fade away & blocking everyone's efforts in releasing items we'd all love to have...
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

What more can you expect from arrogant yanks?! Go the Rhoads family lol, btw if anyone asked me personally to show them around the house where Blizzard and Diary were written i would also tell them to get lost, except people from the inner circle of trust ( tongue in cheek )from the original Blizzard band.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

Sky wrote:Regardless of how glossy the book turned out and how much people on this site like it, the people behind the book acquired and knowingly used material that they didn't have permission or the right to use. Margolis & Klein pissed off Randy's family and his friends during the making of their documentary, and now they've disregarded contracts and the copyright law. It's about time they were called to account for their actions.
Sky
+1

rice_pudding wrote:
Coincidentally, I think that's one of the reasons the documentary failed. They seemed to be interviewing so many random guitarists; almost trying to convince the audience that Randy was great - because Steve Vai says so! All respect to Steve Vai (John 5, and others), but do I need to see him tell me RR was great? If the audience aren't excited by the music in the first place, I doubt discussions of music theory or mere opinion would convince anyone. That's not how music works.

I started to worry that the documentary had lost perspective of its core demographic a long time ago, and I'm sure that's one of a few key reasons it's failed.

Rob
+1
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Joe why does it suck because the familly don't approve ...The book is still available so why do they have to upset the apple cart.
No, because the documentary won't exist in the form it needed to be in, at least for fans sake. Director aside, the documentary needed to feature Kevin DuBrow in an important role, regardless of what people thought of him. Kevin DuBrow is now dead. If a biographical documentary is created, how will Kevin get his spot? His rightful place in Randy's history will be marginalized. It will be a couple of interviews about how Kevin did this, Kevin did that. However, the man himself is gone, someone who IF they had released the documentary 10 years ago, when the timing was better, could have featured and given factual information. I assume Peter has featured Kevin in this documentary, although there were rumours he was going to dedicate as little viewing time as possible to him.
It also needed to feature Ozzy, but obviously Margolis had issues, so its now just QR.

Along with that, Gary Moore is now dead. Forget interviewing John 5, Randy jammed with Gary Moore and had a fuck tonne of respect for him. An interview with Gary Moore on Randy is a lot more useful than one with John 5, or John Petrucci, again, we're left with only that which is already in the public domain. So we're getting interviews with individuals who might not really have anything useful to say.

I don't know the in's and out's of this lawsuit Shaun, so I can't say whether I think it's right or wrong. For me, I desperately wanted a documentary that was full, one that spanned his entire career as a musician. Not just his work with QR, but his work with Ozzy too. I don't know where that fell down, maybe it was Sharon, maybe it was someone else, maybe Margolis didn't get the information he wanted? I don't know.

I'm just disappointed Shaun. The lawsuit suggests a bitter end to what should have been a great documentary. I haven't seen the documentary yet; it's only on sale on the RedMatch site which I imagine will stop shipping orders while this lawsuit takes place. I genuinely hope it's good. It's at least a start. One that documents Randy in Blizzard is just as essential though in my opinion. Other bands, and famous musicians have documentaries that span their entire career. Why can't we have that for RR?
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

skezza wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Joe why does it suck because the familly don't approve ...The book is still available so why do they have to upset the apple cart.
No, because the documentary won't exist in the form it needed to be in, at least for fans sake. Director aside, the documentary needed to feature Kevin DuBrow in an important role, regardless of what people thought of him. Kevin DuBrow is now dead. If a biographical documentary is created, how will Kevin get his spot? His rightful place in Randy's history will be marginalized. It will be a couple of interviews about how Kevin did this, Kevin did that. However, the man himself is gone, someone who IF they had released the documentary 10 years ago, when the timing was better, could have featured and given factual information. I assume Peter has featured Kevin in this documentary, although there were rumours he was going to dedicate as little viewing time as possible to him.
It also needed to feature Ozzy, but obviously Margolis had issues, so its now just QR.

Along with that, Gary Moore is now dead. Forget interviewing John 5, Randy jammed with Gary Moore and had a fuck tonne of respect for him. An interview with Gary Moore on Randy is a lot more useful than one with John 5, or John Petrucci, again, we're left with only that which is already in the public domain. So we're getting interviews with individuals who might not really have anything useful to say.

I don't know the in's and out's of this lawsuit Shaun, so I can't say whether I think it's right or wrong. For me, I desperately wanted a documentary that was full, one that spanned his entire career as a musician. Not just his work with QR, but his work with Ozzy too. I don't know where that fell down, maybe it was Sharon, maybe it was someone else, maybe Margolis didn't get the information he wanted? I don't know.

I'm just disappointed Shaun. The lawsuit suggests a bitter end to what should have been a great documentary. I haven't seen the documentary yet; it's only on sale on the RedMatch site which I imagine will stop shipping orders while this lawsuit takes place. I genuinely hope it's good. It's at least a start. One that documents Randy in Blizzard is just as essential though in my opinion. Other bands, and famous musicians have documentaries that span their entire career. Why can't we have that for RR?
i ve seen it on AMAZON try there