RANDY RHOADS' Family Sues Margolis and Klein

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: RANDY RHOADS' Family Sues Margolis and Klein

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

randy will never die wrote:i am starting to under stand why paul left in the first place
'If you can't stand the heat fuck off out of the kitchen'. It keeps the board amused and its worth seeing how it unfolds. Wait 'til Peter and Andrew come over for the 'he said she said' session.....Watch this space ;-)
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

randy will never die wrote::x :x :x :x :x everybody needs to stop hating each other its realy starting to get old

IF YOU DONT AGREE ON SOMETHING THATS FINE BUT DONT START A FUCKING WAR.....
KEEP IT TO YOUR SELF

THIS SITE WAS ABOUT RANDY BUT THE LONGER I STAY THE MORE AND MORE I REALIZE THAT ALL OF YOU PEOPLE JUST WANT TO KILL EACH OTHER
he said this
she said that
your wrong
no your wrong
i mean realy people fucking grow some balls and grow up
:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
Young man, this can be a lesson in how to address heated topics with a certain amount of civil discourse; even though I may not agree with Shred1/2's position on this subject, I certainly don't "hate" him- or anyone else for that matter. If you're looking for hate, this exchange would be much more heated and contain many more nouns and adjectives IMO.
I'm sure that your parents taught you by now that not everyone agrees all the time... if this world did, it would be rather bland!
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Wait 'til Peter and Andrew come over for the 'he said she said' session.....Watch this space ;-)
LMAO I actually am, certainly they are lurking.
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

RhoadsRockPhotographer wrote:

Sounds like Steven Rosen put together a nice book, which is why his name is FIRST LISTED in the authoring credits.
About the Author

Steven Rosen is a professional music journalist with a career spanning over 37 years. During this period, he has published well over 1,000 articles appearing in major periodicals originating from around the globe. Everywhere from the United States and Canada to Japan, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, England, Australia, Brazil and even Katmandu. Amongst the publications Rosen s work has appeared in are Guitar Player, Guitar World, Guitarist, Rolling Stone, Los Angeles Times, Playboy, Musician, US, Creem, Circus, Player, Total Guitar, Classic Rock, Mojo, Roadie Crew, This Is Rock, Rhythm, Drum! and a myriad of others. He is also a main contributor to the influential music site, Ultimate-Guitar. He was the West Coast correspondent for Guitar World magazine for four years during the seminal mid- 80s when he wrote seven cover stories (three lead features on Edward Van Halen are now recognized as pivotal pieces on that artist). As a contributor to Guitar Player magazine, he wrote a prodigious 16 covers in a six-year span (one out of every four was his). The 1977 Frank Zappa front-cover contribution represented the periodical s biggest selling issue to that date. Additionally, GP, in two special reprint issues, utilized his stories on Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page as cover material (Rock Guitarists published by Guitar Player Productions and Rock Guitarists Vol. II distributed by Guitar Player Books). He served as West Coast Editor for Fachblatt, one of Germany s most respected and highest circulated magazines (during his tenure, more than half of the cover features were Rosen-based compositions). He currently lends his hand to Player, a Japanese periodical employing his services for over 30 years. A recognized authority on the eclectic world of rock, Rosen has been tapped six times to write books on some high-profile individuals (including one book on the history of rock for children). His first book was The Beck Book on guitarist Jeff Beck that required a second printing due to the crazed demand (published in Japan in 1978). The Artist Formerly Known As Prince was part of the Rock Lives series orchestrated by Castle Communications and distributed by The Penguin Group (1995). Bruce Springsteen, an eponymous-titled bio published by Castle Communications was also part of the Rock Lives series (1995). The Story of Black Sabbath: Wheels Of Confusion was a book on the classic metal band that is now in its third printing (1996). Free At Last: The Story of Free and Bad Company was published in 2001. In 2008, he wrote The Story of Rock Music, a book on the history of rock music for children. In 2011, Rosen collaborated with Andrew Klein to pen an extensive biography of the late Randy Rhoads. The iconic Quiet Riot / Ozzy Osbourne guitarist perished in an airplane accident in 1982, just as his star began to shine.
Q: Why did they even need Steven Rosen's participation?

A: To insure it was completed before 2020, among other reasons.
LoL, and it also sounds as though Rosen wrote that piece, too.

It immediately brought to mind when Kevin DuBrow refused to work with the doc, within 24 hours there was a scathing piece in one of the aforementioned publications that he was "dissing" Randy- wonder how that come about?

I agree they banked on Rosen's credibility.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Hi Troy, Yeah i understand that Getty Images is a photo pool for old stock photos and some photographers have hung up their cameras. But they would of still had to go about the proper channels to use the photos in the book. I know one of the contributors and he was asked about using his material via email and he went ahead and his photos look amazing in the book. OK some of the people who got involved in the doc/book didn't have a smooth ride. If nothing become of the book or the so called doc, would the fans still be moaning and whining on. 'Us' poor fans get fuck all out of the Rhoads legacy. Which i'm sick of hearing about, if it was all out there! for free, they'd still be crying for more. Margolis & Klein didn't have to do any of this, but as fans they went out and gathered the info for the doc/book. The doc didn't happen because of costs or the dissapproval of the family. But out of the doc we ended up with a great book. But the idea of this going to court is laughable. The Rhoads have no idea what good the book is doing for Randy's legacy.. It's better then an over priced guitar or a bottle of wine, i'm sure this has left the Rhoads with a bitter pill to swallow. But for the wrong reasons, they are feeling left out of a project which isn't making Klein & Margolis millionaires. They'll be lucky if they get back the money they've put into both projects. But regardless of it being a 'money making project'. We have a great book to own, which is worth every penny spent.
Hi Shaun,
Think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one mate. Here's my tuppence worth :)
You mentioned one contributor's experience of dealing with those behind the book via email and all turned out well. Dave mentioned a very different experience, he didn't give permission for his work to be used and yet it was shown in the doc trailer, he's also talked about his experience of dealing with Klein/Margolis and gave us his opinion of them; Kevin DuDrow, Bob Daisley, the Osbournes and the Rhoads family, to name a few, formed similar opinions.
Randy's family were more than cooperative with the Dakota doc for quite some time, everyone who got involved hoped that it would be a great tribute to Randy, but dealing with the people behind the project turned into a nightmare for many and, as we all know, the doc turned into a book, which wasn't part of any contract.
Seems that some people on this site are naive enough to think that the artwork/props release form that Dave showed us is the contract that the Rhoads family would have signed... Think again.
It doesn't matter how good the book turned out, if material has been ripped off and contracts have been broken to produce it, people have a right to speak out and/or turn to the law.
Most of those who were interviewed supplied material for the doc in good faith, and some of it was used in the book without going down the proper channels, and without permission, but what about the other stuff that Margolis and Klein accumulated? From what I've read and heard, they've proved themselves to be a pair of untrustworthy tossers, and if people don't make a stand about broken contracts/breach of copyright now, what's to stop M&K using more of this material down the line in yet another attempt to line their pockets?
I'm 100% behind the Rhoads family's decision to take legal action, Randy thought the world of them and I think I know exactly where he'd tell Margolis and Klein to shove their book.
There's probably a lot more to this story and even when we know all there is to know, people on here will continue to have a different POV.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Ok Troy, You'll have to agree to disagree and your going to take Bob's side and understandably so. But for everyone else who contributed to the book, Jodi opened up and put her 'warts n all' in the book. Out of everyone i would of said if she was going to get taking for a bumpy ride she would of been the first person to say so. Or is she another one cashing in on Randy's good name ?. I'd hate to think she'd turn her back on the family but i don't think she's as close as she used to be. That seems to be a revolving door with the Rhoads they show up then go. The names are endless, but they are not approving of how the legacy, if any is being handled. I don't want to get caught up in a wrangle of 'i know the score' cos i don't. But i've heard from both parties and i have made my own mind up.
shred2

Post by shred2 »

Excuse after excuse after excuse after excuse.

Threat after threat after threat.
Do tell.

I am shred 1, my login got messed up during this sites' maintenance.
I stand by my comments.

Perhaps Steve Rosen wrote the press release etc. because he is the writer.
Everything is a conspiracy. Right?

And I agree with Idol, some folks spilled more than a few photos for this book.
The book turned out nicely from what I have read.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

shawn wrote:
RRFan4Ever wrote: Is that contract even legal?
I showed that my mate, who is a lawyer, last night over some beers he actually laughed. When I explained the story he said he couldn’t comment on how it would hold up in an American court. Though he believes it is bullshit, that is my interpretation of his words, he said something a wee bit more flowery.
My friend laughed, used a few words to describe the general premise (b*llsh*t, outlandish among them) like most in that particular industry- he couldn't commit to what will happen with it, but he said that he doesn't see it holding up in court- not any portion of it however there are still strings in copyright law that the defense could try and grasp at. So, we'll have to wait and see how this whole thing works itself out in court.

I support the Rhoads' in their endeavor- because what happened to them not only hurt them in a personal and very emotional manner- the defendants managed to bring about one of their infamous "shitstorms" upon their very name. Same name as the person of whom they wish to pay tribute- go figure.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

shred2 wrote:
Excuse after excuse after excuse after excuse.

Threat after threat after threat.
Do tell.

I am shred 1, my login got messed up during this sites' maintenance.
I stand by my comments.

Perhaps Steve Rosen wrote the press release etc. because he is the writer.
Everything is a conspiracy. Right?

And I agree with Idol, some folks spilled more than a few photos for this book.
The book turned out nicely from what I have read.

Much of what RRP is talking about is still available for your viewing pleasure right here on UR. Though I'm sure he can and will respond personally to your post, I thought I'd say that.
shred2

Post by shred2 »

The way it was explained to me, here, in this thread, as documented by a transcript of emails is that the request to participate was ignored, and contact was not made. If there is more to it, fine. There usually is.

This morning, I googled 'Randy Rhoads lawsuit' to see what kind of waves this lawsuit is creating outside of Ultimate Rhoads.
Out of the top matches, only the folks at blabbermouth bothered to comment - and you can read those comments for yourself.

My point? It isn't 1983 anymore, and if this doc/book was to be a successful 'commercial' venture, it is about 25 years too late.
The sands of time. Unfortunately.

Lets be clear here. I am not taking sides in the botched documentary/book.... its been fumbled from both sides.
If the family wants to wade into unfamiliar territory without some professional guidance, that is there call.
On the other hand, I am not defending Dakota and their laughable licensing document and shady dealings.

I am glad the book is out, however, and plan to pick it up down the road.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:
randy will never die wrote:i am starting to under stand why paul left in the first place
which time are you talking about? he always came back :lol:
As I recall, the last time I took a break someone else announced I was leaving...

and yes rwnd, I take time away from this place because no one posts for days until there is some kind of drama to fight about. This place isn't about Randy's "legacy" it's about a bunch of people who like to fight with one another and belittle anyone who actually knew Randy Rhoads.

I was here from the beginning just like Stiltzkin when this place was considered the home of tk's rejects. I actually care about Randy's "legacy" so, even though I take breaks, I am always here. Too many good members have gotten fed up and don't return.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

camdenlp wrote:
RhoadsRockPhotographer wrote:I find it quite interesting that your ENTIRE posting history exists in this thread and this thread ONLY.

Not one other post on the whole board you've found interesting enough to give your .02 on?

Co-ink-e-dink?

Probably not.

RRP, you're not the only one who noticed this... Sure sounds fishy doesn't it?
It's because he got himself kicked out of this place under the name "shred" so he made a new screen-name to keep up his commentary.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:So what about... Neil Zlozower, Ross Halfin, Robert Ellis, Mark Weiss, Fin Costello, John Livzey, Neal Preston, Jeffrey Mayer,Alan Perry, Jay Banbury... I don't see any of them mentioning how they've been fucked over.
Not all lawsuits are made public through the Internet...
randy will never die wrote:can some one explan to me what the hell is going on i am lost
Start on page one and read everything it's pretty self-explanatory.
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
'If you can't stand the heat fuck off out of the kitchen'. It keeps the board amused and its worth seeing how it unfolds.
That's precisely the case here, no one has anything good to say so you all find it amusing to argue. Say what you want, but it is childish. I can stand any heat you all throw out, but that doesn't make it any less childish to simply argue.
RRFan4Ever wrote:Young man, this can be a lesson in how to address heated topics with a certain amount of civil discourse; even though I may not agree with Shred1/2's position on this subject, I certainly don't "hate" him- or anyone else for that matter. If you're looking for hate, this exchange would be much more heated and contain many more nouns and adjectives IMO.
I'm sure that your parents taught you by now that not everyone agrees all the time... if this world did, it would be rather bland!
I would change that to "small amount of civil discourse," otherwise I agree.

Has anyone read Kelly's book yet? I mention this because "Jodi" is deified here and I'm curious as to how much anyone actually knows about her? Kelly isn't so fond of her (and you all aren't so fond of Kelly or his opinion)... I know nothing about her other than what has been mentioned online. I've never spoken to her or to anyone who knows her (at least not about her with any of them), so I find it hard to accept comments about anything being "valid" just because Jodi was involved.

I've spent enough time here today, carry on.
shred2

Post by shred2 »

I was kicked out?
How would you know that Paul, considering I was never informed of this?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

shred2 wrote:I was kicked out?
My memory has it that you were booted during an argument here, if that is incorrect, I apologize.