RANDY RHOADS' Family Sues Margolis and Klein

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

randy will never die
Mass Poster

Re: RANDY RHOADS' Family Sues Margolis and Klein

Post by randy will never die »

does this mean the book will stop selling if so i am buying my copy off amazon ASAP
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

WEll, we said it numerous time... we will never see anything new,, never.. That so ridiculous SO RIDICULOUS all these crap story and fight.. Screw you
alborg
Cool Member

Post by alborg »

I'm sure that those involved with the book would have covered themselves legally before they proceeded with the book.
I don't recall it ever being promoted as being authorized by the Rhoads family. Unless they specifically own photos from the book that they didn't sign over then the book was compiled from new interviews conducted after the documentary halted.
The Rhoads book & QR book/DVD are done in the most respectable way & I don't see why the family would have any issues with them apart from the old $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ factor that raises it's head with all things Randy related, sadly...
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

skezza wrote: I've spoken to various band members who worked with Randy and they aren't just sitting on a fortune dossing. Most of them are still working in bands, our touring or whatever. They might not have another opportunity to do interviews :(
It's pretty sad, you have to wonder if those musicians would be willing to give up their time again if another documentary were ever to be attempted. My guess is they'd stay clear. The way things seemed to be going, I'm not surprised the documentary fizzled out, but I wouldn't have expected this of the book.

The dumb thing is that now there is a load of footage that will never see the light of day. Tied up in legal tape, totally worthless, but never to be seen by anyone.

I think the only hope for a documentary these days would be a low key 'not for profit venture', but you'd still have to skip around copyright like a cat in a minefield. And you'd still probably have some jackass try to sue you simply for attempting the thing in the first place. In the days of the internet, accessible NLE software and cheap cameras it's always possible that someone might make something for the hell of it.

It seems crazy how everyone affiliated to RR is so silent on the subject. They all just seem to sit on their treasure trove, waiting for the right deal. Only there are no deals to be made, and everyone wants to sue each other if another party attempts to release something that will lower the value of their own swag. Or is it all out of spite?

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

meadsie wrote: p.s I don't mean to offend anyone by anything i have put - this is just one fan sharing his point of view and one fan for 30 years who has just had enough. I'll watch what i have and listen to what I have got.
Randy lives in my mind and playing -shame his family are killing off every opportunity to share his skills.

Richard
You are offending no one, many people here have echoed your comments in the past. We have to simply enjoy what we have. Sadly, getting your hopes up as a RR fan is statistically proven to be a bad idea!

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

I think the problem is the time came and went to make a Randy Rhoads documentary that would have made an impact. I hate to say this but I feel kids are now looking elsewhere for inspiration due to Randy's legacy being totally neglected by certain individuals. When I was at school, Randy was still known by most hardcore guitarists and he was regularly featured in magazine articles, whether it be simply tabs or stories about him. I'm starting to see a trend in magazines in the last 5 or so years, the big thing is new bands, new guitarists. I guess it's a generation thing, they want kids to have a guitarist from this era to aspire to - "I wanna be just like him daddy! Sure, he can only play 3 chords, but he's only 23 and I wanna be just like him!!"

It makes me shudder when I think of how many opportunities they could have released a documentary and made an impact...

1987 - Ozzy released the Tribute album, that would have been a decent time to release an accompanying documentary although perhaps a little too early.
1990 to 1995 - Any time in this era I imagine would have increased his recognition massively in my opinion. Metal documentaries were the 'in-thing' around this time and I have a few on VHS from different bands. I guess it was the fallout from the 80s. However it's also a time where those who were involved in Randy's life would have been able to contribute something factual and also still been fairly relevant within the current music climate.
2000 to 2003 - This would have been a good time to release one. Similarly to the early 90s, it was a time where bands were pulling the 'Twenties Years Ago We Did This' shit. Releasing books, unseen films, live albums from old recordings etc. Motley Crue released a book and a Video Hits DVD with some unseen footage around this time and they both sold like crazy. A documentary about a fantastic guitarist from 20 years ago would have fitted in nicely and it would have made an impact with young guitarists. Dads would have said "son, this guitarist inspired me to pick up this Les Paul sitting right here, twenty years ago". There would have been a new generation of Randy Rhoads enthusiasts.
2007 to 2010 - We're running out of time. We've just lost Kevin DuBrow, someone who knew Randy. A 25th anniversary documentary would have sufficed I imagine. Although with some of the heavy metal documentaries that had really fallen flat on their face around this time maybe not. I guess this is when we all hoped the Margolis documentary would come out.
2012 - A 30th Anniversary documentary. We've almost missed the boat. Another friend of Randy, Gary Moore has gone. The generation of guitarists who's dad picked up the guitar in 1980 after hearing Crazy Train are now in their early 20's. The opportunity is as good as gone, at least to make an impact.
2013 - Who knows, but I feel now that we've literally run out of opportunities. Sure, releasing a documentary would be great for us, but will those dads take their 20+ year old sons to go see their guitar idol. I doubt it. I also imagine many of those who were just ordinary Randy fans would probably give it a miss. Whereas 10 years ago they would have gone to see it for the sentimental value, it's now been 30 years, many will have moved on, changed guitars, amps, even playing styles, perhaps the interest in music has faded altogether and work has become more important.

Maybe I'm sounding pessimistic, but to be honest, having seen a couple of brilliant documentaries recently released by heavy metal bands. I can't help feel that Randy's are unlikely to appear any time soon, in a form that we all want.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

Well, the drama of Randy fandom rears its head yet again. And we see more of the big picture....to the shock of about zero people.

Interesting that the two books were released so close to each other. Perhaps the realization that things would get shut down quickly set in, and these needed to get to press and released ASAP?

Either way, both books are fantastic, and are very welcome additions to the Randy lexicon, as well as being amazing tributes. It's just a shame that they'll most likely be pulled soon, and that things weren't handled through all the proper channels.

And if it's not already obvious - pick up a copy of these books before they get pulled. This situation will probably get ugly, and copies of the books may dry up. If you want this, you may want to secure a copy SOON.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

skezza wrote: Maybe I'm sounding pessimistic, but to be honest, having seen a couple of brilliant documentaries recently released by heavy metal bands. I can't help feel that Randy's are unlikely to appear any time soon, in a form that we all want.
It's not pessimistic; it's very accurate. Until the nonsense around this situation ends, this doc will be in limbo. I mean, unless it's leaked somehow..... 8)

It would just be nice to see for ourselves, so we could judge the product in question.
Lespauly
Cool Member

Post by Lespauly »

I just ordered the Randy bio book tonite-114.00 is the most Ive paid for a book--Is this book as good as the QR book ??
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Lespauly wrote:I just ordered the Randy bio book tonite-114.00 is the most Ive paid for a book--Is this book as good as the QR book ??
Better, IMO. they're both great books, but honestly, the bio is hard to top.

The DVD with the QR book is great, though, and the QR book itself is impressive.

I really believe both books are tremendous works, and should be in the library of any Randy fan.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

I couldn't order it. I just tried again. I tried earlier but when I hit the submit button, nothing happens. I meant to order it last month but with the holidays...
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Yeah, I just tried it again and I got a book! Sorry for the earlier posts. I think I must of had a glitch or the site timed out??? I just opened another browser and went to the site and no problem!
I think we should boycott the Rhoads family. What did that family ever put out that was a tribute to Randy's memory and legacy? Think. Nothing. Fuc# their wine and $13,000 guitars. How dare they cry "EXPLOITATION OF RANDY RHOADS " WHEN THEY ARE THE WORST OFFENDERS! Wine? What does that have to do with playing guitar or Randy? There is no other explanation of putting Randy's picture on an alcoholic product to sell some fermented grapes at premium prices and it wasn't even the Rhoads' or Cathy's vineyard. It's her husband's! It is his vineyard, his name on the bottle (no offense to the guy) but why is that okay to use Randy (likeness) to put on a product, looking like he endorses the product, without his consent, after his passing? That is sick! And they stop any music, footage or pictures (books, DVD's) coming out because THAT exploits his memory? I used to think it was Sharon (a few issues with her) who was the hold-up but I think she would have put stuff out if it was her decision.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

Regardless of how glossy the book turned out and how much people on this site like it, the people behind the book acquired and knowingly used material that they didn't have permission or the right to use. Margolis & Klein pissed off Randy's family and his friends during the making of their documentary, and now they've disregarded contracts and the copyright law. It's about time they were called to account for their actions.
Sky
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Why em I shocked that there is a problem involving Randy!!!
barossadude

Post by barossadude »

The bottom line is - as always, the fans that have been true to the cause, patient & hopeful on any new Randy related material, unfortunately suffer....
"Rock n' Roll's universal" - Bon Scott, AC/DC