RANDY RHOADS' Family Sues Margolis and Klein

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

shred2

Re: RANDY RHOADS' Family Sues Margolis and Klein

Post by shred2 »

If 100% percent of Rhoads Facebook 'likers' bought the book, it would have sales in the 110,000 range.
Likes are free. They don't cost $100.00, plus shipping.

As far as guesstimating sales.... The fact that plenty of hardcore RR fans here have balked at the price and passed on the book tells me that it hasn't been the runaway success some have predicted. If people here are passing on it, then I have to assume a vast majority of the mainstream (meaning, the average Joe, not Rhoads fanatics) is passing on it too - if they even know it exists. Does that make sense?

It isn't 1983 anymore.

There are roughly 20 consistent posters on this site - maybe slightly more. This is one of two RR websites left online. This thread has about 3000 views - globally. What percentage of those who viewed this thread have purchased the book?
And what percentage of those views are the same forum members checking back on the story?

I mention these figures, not as a slight, but as a measurement of reality.

This book is rated 847,921th on Amazon's best seller list. Seriously.
As a comparison, Peter Criss' autobiography is ranked at 6760.

I have read that the RR book is fantastic.
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

Post by RhoadsRockPhotographer »

shred2 wrote:I don't think it will pay for itself. I don't think it has sold close to 500 units.
Calm down.
Did they use one of your photos?
You have no clue whatsoever as to either costs OR units sold.

He approached me about photos of mine. From the very start he didn't make clear WHO he was representing. He came across like someone trying to obtain photos to pirate (which has already been done to photos of mine, in several instances). Once he FINALLY got around to identifying WHO they were for, I asked to see a image licensing contract/agreement. I found the wording completely unacceptable, so there was no need for me to reply back, after that.

Next thing I know (within a matter of 10 weeks later) the "officially unofficial doc trailer" is released - in which is included some terribly scanned photos of mine, within it.

After seeing such I emailed him the following:
Since I haven't given permission to use my photos, I better not see them being used (and several were in the doc preview, I've seen).
This was his reply:
Guranteed (sic), your photos will NOT be in our film. I already made sure it was removed from our archive the last you sent me a horse shit email.....

There is no need to write to me again.
These were all (in full .. except last 4 digits of his Ph. #) the emails I'd been sent/replied to prior to that time:

Him:
Hi Dave,

my name is Andrew Klein - I am the Production Manager on a documentary film being produced
about the life of Randy Rhoads.

I understand you took some photos of him - can you call or email me?

Thanks for your help.

Andrew Klein

818.519.XXXX
My Reply:
What would you like to know?
Him:
I would like to license your photos - can you send me low res samples via email?
My reply:
Be more specific, please.
Him:
CAN YOU EMAIL ME YOUR PHONE NUMBER? OR CALL ME 818.519.XXXX.
My reply:
You're going to need to provide me with more specific information beforehand.

I'm not going to call anyone about anything before you give me more information than you have.

I'm assuming you're speaking of the Peter Margolis project.
Him (in what SHOULD have been his VERY FIRST mail, CLEARLY identifying WHO he was working for, from the get-go):
I am the Production Manager on the "Peter Margolis" project / the Randy Rhoads doc.

I am licensing photos from photographers. If you would like us to include your photos,
give me a call - 818.519.
XXXX.

Andrew
My Reply:
I will need to see the language of the image licensing contract/agreement.
Him:

1 attachment (Artwork Release.doc)

I'd like you to find the
last horse shit email
for me. Take your time.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

interesting... 8)
shred2

Post by shred2 »

Based on that 'transcript', I would suggest that wasn't handled very well - on either side. Sorry.
Not defending what happened later in anyway, but, he did identify himself and gave you a phone number to call in his first message.
No?

This conversation predates the trailer leak by 10 weeks?
I take it that Peter's reputation was bad before the leak?
Who leaked the trailer? Do we know that?
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

shred2 wrote:Based on that 'transcript', I would suggest that wasn't handled very well - on either side. Sorry.
Not defending what happened later in anyway, but, he did identify himself and gave you a phone number to call in his first message.
No?

I'm still waiting for you to point out the
last horse shit email
for me.

Q: Identifying himself as "Andrew Klein" meant exactly WHAT to me?

A: Absolutely nothing.

Why would I waste my time calling someone who can't even identify who they're representing, without me having to ASK them?

That would also PROVE exactly nothing.

In response to your questions:

1) Yes.

2) Yes.

3) An "alleged" story of them being "tricked" into providing it to a third party, in exchange for something of value to them.

4) Do I believe that? They'd have to be highly unprofessional to do so. Not someone I would trust dealing with.
Last edited by RhoadsRockPhotographer on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

No, I wasn't suggesting that every "like" on the RR FB page purchased either bio- just that having 136k+ followers in any fashion (be it facebook, twitter, myspace, or even msg boards) is an excellent platform to sell merchandise. Coincidentally, Randy has a pretty active twitter feed, too. And then there is the demographic that doesn't use social media outlets but will read blabbermouth, metal sucks, etc- that may also contribute to sales. Last but not least, I googled "Randy Rhoads Velocity bio" and got 92,300 links in .30 seconds- probably other msg boards, magazines, etc. Both books are receiving press. I sincerely doubt that sales are as dismal as you suggest. But even if they are, I bet that they are still making money on the units they sell. And shipping, too!

There's no telling how many units have been sold because both are largely independent endeavors and outside of Amazon, I can't think of any other retailer that will carry either bio. Unless the FOIA includes tax returns for businesses, I don't think that there is a way to accurately gauge sales/profits.

And of course, I think that the individuals involved in these projects (minus Ron Sobol, I don't think he offended many people in his project) will naturally try to downplay any profit, I mean, who wouldn't?

IMO they screwed over the family and some of Randy's associates and friends in the course of filming what should have been a documentary- (I think) took the best of the best for a for the book and used garbage snippets of film to piece together a "botched" documentary to fulfill any contractual obligation- then decided to charge $99 for the book and an "estimated" shipping charge of $15-60 per book, hence screwing the fans, too.

I've heard it's a beautiful book and many have sworn that it's a fitting tribute, but excuse me while I exercise my right to not buy the book and call bullshit when I (think I) see it. I am torn between wanting something RR related- and recalling drama about the Smalt accident scene photos (wasn't there carnage even uploaded here at UR?) and the disrespect that ensued towards anyone that didn't immediately kiss their ass- be it photographers or musicians. I am pretty finicky about how and where I spend my money so I'm not the average consumer.

Right now, on Randy's FB page there is 31 seconds of new video uploaded- a young Randy playing slide, donated by Ron Sobol- there are close to 8,000 people talking or "trending" Randy Rhoads. Pretty impressive considering that no, it's not 1983 anymore- wouldn't you say?
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
shred2

Post by shred2 »

What exactly is the last horseshit email? And why should it mean anything to me?
but excuse me while I exercise my right to not buy the book and call bullshit when I (think I) see it.
So. You haven't bought the book. After all that research you did. Thanks for proving my point.
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

shred2 wrote:What exactly is the last horseshit email? And why should it mean anything to me?
Forget it. It's obviously too difficult for you to follow along.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

shred2 wrote:What exactly is the last horseshit email? And why should it mean anything to me?
but excuse me while I exercise my right to not buy the book and call bullshit when I (think I) see it.
So. You haven't bought the book. After all that research you did. Thanks for proving my point.
Not sure what point it is that you're referencing, but I would consider myself and a couple others that have voiced disdain for this project a minority. It would seem that sales have been healthy with many other members, however there's no way to accurately gauge sales as this is mainly an independent project. UR and TK are no longer definitive measures of the RR fanbase, FB and social media is now where it's at.
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Post by Silver Rhoads »

You are still angry and barking at the wrong people. I acknowledged that your photos were not published in the RR book.
They don't owe you any money or credits, but you're still shouting.

Offense is taken not given. Being offended doesn't make you right.

You mentioned a photo of yours was used in the leaked trailer. That trailer was not supposed to be shown to the public, but thanks to that Romeo Rose guy it was.
He's the culprit. Everyone knows that. By all means go yell at him.
RhoadsRockPhotographer wrote:
shred2 wrote:Based on that 'transcript', I would suggest that wasn't handled very well - on either side. Sorry.
No?

I'm still waiting for you to point out the
last horse shit email
for me.

Q: Identifying himself as "Andrew Klein" meant exactly WHAT to me?

A: Absolutely nothing.

Why would I waste my time calling someone who can't even identify who they're representing, without me having to ASK them?

That would also PROVE exactly nothing.

In response to your questions:

1) Yes.

2) Yes.

3) An "alleged" story of them being "tricked" into providing it to a third party, in exchange for something of value to them.

4) Do I believe that? They'd have to be highly unprofessional to do so. Not someone I would trust dealing with.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

You are still angry and barking at the wrong people. I acknowledged that your photos were not published in the RR book.
Probably just as well, otherwise he'd have to stand in line with the others whose photographs and material WERE used in the book WITHOUT PERMISSION after having received a very similar 'guarantee' from Klein stating that material wouldn't be used. What's the point of having contracts and the copyright law if the likes of Klein and Margolis arrogantly disregard them and are allowed to get away with it? IMO they're both a disgrace to the film and publishing industry, and that takes some doing!
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

Silver Rhoads wrote:You are still angry and barking at the wrong people. I acknowledged that your photos were not published in the RR book.

You mentioned a photo of yours was used in the leaked trailer. That trailer was not supposed to be shown to the public, but thanks to that Romeo Rose guy it was.
You can stop your attempted psychoanalyzing, because you are REALLY BAD at it.

You're an Andrew Klein apologist - I get it. Keep swinging from his nuts. You do it well.

I don't feel OWED anything - and haven't. Someone asked a question, I related WHY this
person being SUED was completely unprofessional in MY OWN dealings with him and that
he was a POS, as far as I'm concerned.

Romeo Rose isn't the one who said, "your last horse shit email."

Get it? Got it? Good.
Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Post by Silver Rhoads »

RhoadsRockPhotographer wrote:
Silver Rhoads wrote:You are still angry and barking at the wrong people. I acknowledged that your photos were not published in the RR book.

You're an Andrew Klein apologist - I get it. Keep swinging from his nuts. You do it well.

I don't feel OWED anything - and haven't. Someone asked a question, I related WHY this
person being SUED was completely unprofessional in MY OWN dealings with him and that

Get it? Got it? Good.
The more you post, the more you sound like an arrogant asshole.
You have no reason to be talking smack. No one did anything to you personally.
Who cares about your dealings? So what, you think you were treated unfairly, yet nothing tragic has happened to you personally?
I'm not sticking up for anyone. I'm just a fan of Randy Rhoads and I happen to like the RR book I gladly purchased.
Putting all of your business out on the forum doesn't do anyone any good. You're being vindictive for no reason and you attack everyone.
You're just a f**king whiner.

Put yourself in Perry's shoes. How do you think he feels? He was screwed over, yet you don't hear any shit talk from him.
shred2

Post by shred2 »

Get it? Got it? Good.
Maybe you should read that transcript again. Unless you knew who Klein was before he contacted you, then your response - or lack of - was arrogant. You sound like a whiner. He offered a license. You refused. Fair enough. But you were hardly 'professional' in that exchange.

Sounds like he treated you like sh**, AFTER you treated him like sh**.
Get it? Got it? Good.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

shred2 wrote:I don't think it will pay for itself. I don't think it has sold close to 500 units.
Calm down.
Did they use one of your photos?
I dont think you can substantiate this claim or any of your other claims. Do you work for the book company? Have you been involved in anyway with regards to the production of this book and the costs involved? If you not you are just talking a lot of puppy poop. And beside, the point is, is it doesn't matter if the book makes money or not. If a contract was breach then the Rhoads have legal ground and our justified in sueing.

I just don't understand why people think this should not happen.

RhoadsRockPhotographer you are wasting your time.