It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:29 pm


Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 7   [ 91 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: New Kelly Garni Interview
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:32 am 
Mass Poster

Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:00 am
Posts: 642
I learnt from the footage in the boxset that in revelation mother earth randy starts the solo around the 12th fret and not at the 1st fret like the tribute tab book says.....sounds much better playing it "right"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: New Kelly Garni Interview
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:19 am 
Mass Poster

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:19 am
Posts: 5171
Stiltzkin wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:
There is a fair amount of video available of Randy playing with Ozzy, he pretty much stands still, takes a couple steps forward, takes a couple steps back, occasionally he turns around. He stays in his little box and plays guitar.


that's why I prefer Jake & Zakk stage wise ;)


Jake always looked cool onstage!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: New Kelly Garni Interview
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:42 am 
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:29 am
Posts: 2079
Location: Sweden
Paul Wolfe wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:
There is a fair amount of video available of Randy playing with Ozzy, he pretty much stands still, takes a couple steps forward, takes a couple steps back, occasionally he turns around. He stays in his little box and plays guitar.


that's why I prefer Jake & Zakk stage wise ;)


Jake always looked cool onstage!


indeed :) the difference between him/Zakk & Randy is that Jake and Zakk where more flamboyant/crowdpleasing
whereas Randy ... I don't know? maybe he wasn't having fun, but it seems to me that he might not have liked
being up there?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: New Kelly Garni Interview
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:17 pm 
Madman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:09 pm
Posts: 338
sytharnia wrote:
I learnt from the footage in the boxset that in revelation mother earth randy starts the solo around the 12th fret and not at the 1st fret like the tribute tab book says.....sounds much better playing it "right"


Yeah, that's a huge bonus for the video right there. I still think the absence of video is cos Ozzy was all sorts of pissed up and wasn't performing exactly stellar.

_________________
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: New Kelly Garni Interview
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:30 am 
Madman

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 486
RRFan4Ever wrote:
sytharnia wrote:
I learnt from the footage in the boxset that in revelation mother earth randy starts the solo around the 12th fret and not at the 1st fret like the tribute tab book says.....sounds much better playing it "right"


Yeah, that's a huge bonus for the video right there. I still think the absence of video is cos Ozzy was all sorts of pissed up and wasn't performing exactly stellar.


Completely agree. What people fail to realize is that OO, even as much of a beloved buffoon as he has evolved into, is a completely different performer both sound wise and image wise from the Randy days - he's sharpened up his act considerably since '81/'82.

Sharon, say what you will about the woman, has cultivated a certain image for Ozzy, and has, in many ways, made him more respectable. Footage of him falling down pissed and sounding like a drunk asshole would not help to further his public image (or hers, for that matter...isn't she on like THE VIEW or something?). The media had a field day before with Oz and his shenanigans; imagine the gong show if more footage surfaced with Oz, how shall we say, "off his game" from this era. Great for us as fans, who would look past Ozzy's singing (which is limited at best) and who just want to see Randy and the rest of the band, NOT good for Ozzy.

It would be really cool if more "rough" footage surfaced from this era, but I highly doubt that anything not pro-tooled, polished, or redubbed would make its way out of the Ozzy camp. Not to mention how the Rhoads family might view Randy's place in said footage, backing up Oz.

Sadly, I too think this is one of the reasons that more footage hasn't surfaced. Isn't it interesting that the footage from the box set seems almost cut up and edited? Probably because Oz was as drunk as a waltzing pissant.

Just my two cents, as what RRFan4ever says seems on the money and about right.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: New Kelly Garni Interview
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:18 pm 
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:03 pm
Posts: 3600
Location: Gotham City
Back to topic



8)

_________________
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: New Kelly Garni Interview
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:01 am 
Mass Poster

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:19 am
Posts: 5171
Thanks for that, Dutch, I enjoyed it...

While watching that video I was rummaging through all the music on my hard drive and something occurred to me. In Kelly's book he mentions a friend down the street who had a great record collection and he specifically remembered he & Randy listening to the first two Scorpions records... Sails of Charon came out in 1977 on the Taken By Force record. Since Randy had heard Scorpions by this time, it's highly likely he was familiar with that song which is considered one of the first to fuse classical with rock... just something to think about.


Last edited by Paul Wolfe on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: New Kelly Garni Interview
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:53 am 
Senior Member

Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 9:01 am
Posts: 81
Location: Barossa Valley - Sth Australia
Cool interview - thanx for posting :)

_________________
"Rock n' Roll's universal" - Bon Scott, AC/DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: New Kelly Garni Interview
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:07 pm 
Junior Member

Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:48 pm
Posts: 19
Location: Not Here
.


Last edited by RandyRox on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: New Kelly Garni Interview
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:37 pm 
Mass Poster

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:19 am
Posts: 5171
RandyRox wrote:
Hey all, I have a serious question, so please don't think i'm trolling or trying to stir up any trouble OK. My question is why is Kelly Garni some kind of celebrity? Is it because he was in QR for a short amount of time before getting fired? was it because he was a childhood friend of Randys? or is it because of some other reason? Can those of you that bought his book give me a valid reason why I should go buy it, is it a good read? and the reason i'm asking these questions is that people seem to idolise Kelly but from where i'm standing and what I see he just appears to be a regular guy ( albeit he seems to make some very questionable decisions) so why should I read his book?


Kelly is a regular guy who met Randy Rhoads in Jr. High School. He knew Randy in his formative years and discusses the world where he and Randy grew up in his book. The book is a very good read and I'd definitely recommend it.

Celebrity? No, not really. I think some folks 'idolize' him because he did know Randy... To me he's a regular guy and I enjoyed reading what he had to say about his life.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: New Kelly Garni Interview
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:42 pm 
Madman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:09 pm
Posts: 338
RandyRox wrote:
Hey all, I have a serious question, so please don't think i'm trolling or trying to stir up any trouble OK. My question is why is Kelly Garni some kind of celebrity? Is it because he was in QR for a short amount of time before getting fired? was it because he was a childhood friend of Randys? or is it because of some other reason? Can those of you that bought his book give me a valid reason why I should go buy it, is it a good read? and the reason i'm asking these questions is that people seem to idolise Kelly but from where i'm standing and what I see he just appears to be a regular guy ( albeit he seems to make some very questionable decisions) so why should I read his book?



I think that Kelly had some rather interesting encounters with Randy, and with Randy as a conspirator. His stint in QR may have ended questionably, but Kelly still knew Randy- the whole person- not just the teacher, son, brother, boyfriend, fellow student, etc- IMO Kelly and Kevin were perhaps 2 people best qualified to say they knew the "whole" person.

Randy didn't have to be something other than who he was with them- a musician, a friend, and a mere teenager when they were running around the strip in the early 70's- sadly, Kevin never got the opportunity to share his take on Randy's life (and death) but I don't think that Kevin was really the kind to spill his guts like that. But Kelly is. And it's probably a good thing, too- cos with the new material flooding the market about Randy, at least there is one reference point coming from an unbiased source. And I say unbiased cos Kelly shares his insight, even if it doesn't show him (or perhaps even Randy) in a positive light.

Whether people agree with Kelly and his decisions as of late- he grew up with Randy and knew Randy in ways that only a close, childhood friend would.

_________________
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: New Kelly Garni Interview
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:46 pm 
Madman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:09 pm
Posts: 338
CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:
RRFan4Ever wrote:
sytharnia wrote:
I learnt from the footage in the boxset that in revelation mother earth randy starts the solo around the 12th fret and not at the 1st fret like the tribute tab book says.....sounds much better playing it "right"


Yeah, that's a huge bonus for the video right there. I still think the absence of video is cos Ozzy was all sorts of pissed up and wasn't performing exactly stellar.


Completely agree. What people fail to realize is that OO, even as much of a beloved buffoon as he has evolved into, is a completely different performer both sound wise and image wise from the Randy days - he's sharpened up his act considerably since '81/'82.

Sharon, say what you will about the woman, has cultivated a certain image for Ozzy, and has, in many ways, made him more respectable. Footage of him falling down pissed and sounding like a drunk asshole would not help to further his public image (or hers, for that matter...isn't she on like THE VIEW or something?). The media had a field day before with Oz and his shenanigans; imagine the gong show if more footage surfaced with Oz, how shall we say, "off his game" from this era. Great for us as fans, who would look past Ozzy's singing (which is limited at best) and who just want to see Randy and the rest of the band, NOT good for Ozzy.

It would be really cool if more "rough" footage surfaced from this era, but I highly doubt that anything not pro-tooled, polished, or redubbed would make its way out of the Ozzy camp. Not to mention how the Rhoads family might view Randy's place in said footage, backing up Oz.

Sadly, I too think this is one of the reasons that more footage hasn't surfaced. Isn't it interesting that the footage from the box set seems almost cut up and edited? Probably because Oz was as drunk as a waltzing pissant.

Just my two cents, as what RRFan4ever says seems on the money and about right.



I lol'ed at "waltzing pissant"- Ozzy never was one to shy away from bodily functions while in an inebriated state, was he? Stories of him pissing himself in elevators, shatting in hotel hallways and plants (it's ok, I'm staying here!) etc. seems to support the "waltzing pissant" indeed!

_________________
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: New Kelly Garni Interview
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:43 am 
Madman

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 486
RRFan4Ever wrote:
RandyRox wrote:
Hey all, I have a serious question, so please don't think i'm trolling or trying to stir up any trouble OK. My question is why is Kelly Garni some kind of celebrity? Is it because he was in QR for a short amount of time before getting fired? was it because he was a childhood friend of Randys? or is it because of some other reason? Can those of you that bought his book give me a valid reason why I should go buy it, is it a good read? and the reason i'm asking these questions is that people seem to idolise Kelly but from where i'm standing and what I see he just appears to be a regular guy ( albeit he seems to make some very questionable decisions) so why should I read his book?



I think that Kelly had some rather interesting encounters with Randy, and with Randy as a conspirator. His stint in QR may have ended questionably, but Kelly still knew Randy- the whole person- not just the teacher, son, brother, boyfriend, fellow student, etc- IMO Kelly and Kevin were perhaps 2 people best qualified to say they knew the "whole" person.

Randy didn't have to be something other than who he was with them- a musician, a friend, and a mere teenager when they were running around the strip in the early 70's- sadly, Kevin never got the opportunity to share his take on Randy's life (and death) but I don't think that Kevin was really the kind to spill his guts like that. But Kelly is. And it's probably a good thing, too- cos with the new material flooding the market about Randy, at least there is one reference point coming from an unbiased source. And I say unbiased cos Kelly shares his insight, even if it doesn't show him (or perhaps even Randy) in a positive light.

Whether people agree with Kelly and his decisions as of late- he grew up with Randy and knew Randy in ways that only a close, childhood friend would.


Agreed. I just got the book a few days ago and haven't really dug into it yet, but it does have a perspective which other books don't, and more Randy material is never a bad thing.

Decisions aside, which really aren't any of our damn business, Kelly's just a guy. Not defending the guy, as much as just trying to be objective. His squabbles with whoever are between him and those people. I'm going to read the book and take it for what it is - another perspective in the story of Randy.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: New Kelly Garni Interview
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:32 pm 
Madman

Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:24 pm
Posts: 329
Paul Wolfe wrote:
fortress wrote:
What would i learn?? Everything... I'm playing in an Ozzy cover band and would like to see how Randy play some part of songs and second... i just want to see him... just want to see him "alive" and play...


You do realize that the same guy played in Quiet Riot, right? I understand your point of wanting to be able to do everything exactly like him in a 'tribute' band, it makes perfect sense. Thank you for putting it in those terms, that does help me understand the footage obsession a little bit.

There is a fair amount of video available of Randy playing with Ozzy, he pretty much stands still, takes a couple steps forward, takes a couple steps back, occasionally he turns around. He stays in his little box and plays guitar.

Personally I'm not a fan of tribute bands, but I understand people who like them. At 09:30 is what I think of when I hear about a 'tribute' band:



If that's your thing, more power to you.



WOw.... come on man, its not what i said.. I dont want to learn how he move on stage or what's not,, I'm interested about the guitar, the guitar playing, how he play certain parts of the song etc etc... I just want to see him play and live... So, do you have some DVD show of some of your favorite band???? If yes THAN WHY??
its ridiculous what you were saying in response to me...


PS: I'm not interested in the QUiet riot era


Last edited by fortress on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: New Kelly Garni Interview
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:36 pm 
Madman

Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:24 pm
Posts: 329
sytharnia wrote:
I learnt from the footage in the boxset that in revelation mother earth randy starts the solo around the 12th fret and not at the 1st fret like the tribute tab book says.....sounds much better playing it "right"



+1, this is the type of stuff i want to learn from randy... I did learn all the song from the tribute tab book and its good but alot of part are not tabbed the way they should... Nothing really really important to death but i just like to learn small details like this.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 7   [ 91 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
twilightBB Style by Daniel St. Jules of Gamexe.net