New Kelly Garni Interview

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: New Kelly Garni Interview

Post by Paul Wolfe »

fortress wrote:
WOw.... come on man, its not what i said.. I dont want to learn how he move on stage or what's not,, I'm interested about the guitar, the guitar playing, how he play certain parts of the song etc etc... I just want to see him play and live... So, do you have some DVD show of some of your favorite band???? If yes THAN WHY??
its ridiculous what you were saying in response to me...

PS: I'm not interested in the QUiet riot era
You do realize that what you say and what you meant aren't always distinguishable in type, right? You said you play in an Ozzy cover band - to me that means you want to look just like them and sound just like them, hence the Rock Star clip. Actually it makes sense and isn't a bit ridiculous.

I own loads of live DVD, sure. But I've never obsessed over getting them the way members of this 'community' do. My initial statement was that I don't understand the obsession with wanting to see Randy w/Ozzy footage.

You aren't interested in Quiet Riot? Good for you. Anyone (and yes I mean ANYONE) who claims to be a fan of Randy Rhoads and ignores his formative years is simply a superficial fan. He didn't get to be the idol you worship from day one, it was a process. You all can ignore that part, but without knowing/understanding it, you'll never know/understand Randy Rhoads. No amount of footage will change that.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
fortress wrote:
WOw.... come on man, its not what i said.. I dont want to learn how he move on stage or what's not,, I'm interested about the guitar, the guitar playing, how he play certain parts of the song etc etc... I just want to see him play and live... So, do you have some DVD show of some of your favorite band???? If yes THAN WHY??

You do realize that what you say and what you meant aren't always distinguishable in type, right? You said you play in an Ozzy cover band - to me that means you want to look just like them and sound just like them, hence the Rock Star clip. Actually it makes sense and isn't a bit ridiculous.

I own loads of live DVD, sure. But I've never obsessed over getting them the way members of this 'community' do. My initial statement was that I don't understand the obsession with wanting to see Randy w/Ozzy footage.

You aren't interested in Quiet Riot? Good for you. Anyone (and yes I mean ANYONE) who claims to be a fan of Randy Rhoads and ignores his formative years is simply a superficial fan. He didn't get to be the idol you worship from day one, it was a process. You all can ignore that part, but without knowing/understanding it, you'll never know/understand Randy Rhoads. No amount of footage will change that.
So, someone doesn't understand Randy Rhoads because they don't like the QR material? That's nonsense.

No one's ignoring that he played his formative years with QR, Paul, and there's no doubt that it helped drive who he was as a guitarist and where he ultimately went with Ozzy, but let's be honest here, you can acknowledge the fact that he played with QR, and not like the material (of which some was pretty weak, if you ask me....and a lot of folks, for that matter).

This "I'm a bigger Randy fan because I like the QR material as well as the Ozzy material" is utter tripe.

If the QR material was so awesome, how come many more fans haven't sought it out? Why is it not more readily available, while BOO and DOAM have never gone out of print? Because they're better albums! Does the casual fan know about the Randy/QR connection, even? Probably not. You know where they know QR from? The METAL HEALTH era, when Randy was no longer with the band.

Nobody's "ignoring" Randy's time with QR, but you can't blame them for wanting to listen to the better overall product that emerged when he was with Ozzy.

And for the record, the QR stuff is pretty pedestrian - I much prefer the Ozzy stuff, if you haven't already guessed. :)
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:So, someone doesn't understand Randy Rhoads because they don't like the QR material? That's nonsense.
You are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.
RandyRox

Post by RandyRox »

Last edited by RandyRox on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Paul Wolfe wrote:
CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:So, someone doesn't understand Randy Rhoads because they don't like the QR material? That's nonsense.
You are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.
Indeed.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

ANY Randy is good shit, period- IMHO- but both sides make sense to me.

Anyone that is into Randy isn't "obsessed" by wanting to confirm tabs with live video, nor is it a crime to not like QR. I'm pretty sure we all like other artists where we like some stuff, but not everything in their catalog.

But I also think it could be said that those who choose to ignore Randy's career with QR are missing out on some good stuff in there (ok, at times, somewhere, I think)- whether they dig it or not, there's still something to be learned about Randy.

It's still all purely subjective, to each one's own. Like Paul said, sometimes the meaning and what people are trying to say gets lost in all the text. And holy shit, this thread just completely fell into a void somewhere :\
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Well the Quiet Riot Metal Health album IMHO pisses all over the first 2 QR albums. For production and arrangement. Plus it sold much better and was the first HM album to hit #1 in the billboard charts. but i wouldn't say ok then Carlos Cavazo is a better guitarist then RR. The early stuff was weak and just basic stuff to the listener. The Ozzy stuff carried well and the arrangements on the songs became classics over time. something that cannot be said for the early QR albums.
chilinvilin
Cool Member

Post by chilinvilin »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Well the Quiet Riot Metal Health album IMHO pisses all over the first 2 QR albums. For production and arrangement. Plus it sold much better and was the first HM album to hit #1 in the billboard charts. but i wouldn't say ok then Carlos Cavazo is a better guitarist then RR. The early stuff was weak and just basic stuff to the listener. The Ozzy stuff carried well and the arrangements on the songs became classics over time. something that cannot be said for the early QR albums.
Damn.. Your so right!
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
fortress wrote:

Maybe its because i'm french first and not 100% bilingual

I cover the music, not the fancy move ;)

And i know Randy quiet riot music but it doest interest me.. I have the show in DVD that Kevin Dubrow lost and i did listened to it alot but, you know, its not Randy Ozzy era period.

And another reason why we are so obsessed with randy footage? In all my worship time of Randy, all i had was pictures of him and his musics.. I remember the first time i saw the Crazy train video when i was young, i was in "shock" just because after all these year seeing him in pictures, i could saw him MOVE!!!!! After that, i just wanted to see more footage of him .

Funny that you assume i dont know the Quiet Riot stuff when i have the first 2 album, the other album Kevin did put in 1995 (i think) and did listen to theses album alot because i love Randy and wanted to know everything he did. But now that i know all of this, i'm focusing of his Ozzy era, that's it.
Last edited by fortress on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RandyRox

Post by RandyRox »

Last edited by RandyRox on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

I agree the Metal Health album is far superior but the SLick black Cadillac fit really well in ;)
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Well the Quiet Riot Metal Health album IMHO pisses all over the first 2 QR albums. For production and arrangement. Plus it sold much better and was the first HM album to hit #1 in the billboard charts. but i wouldn't say ok then Carlos Cavazo is a better guitarist then RR. The early stuff was weak and just basic stuff to the listener. The Ozzy stuff carried well and the arrangements on the songs became classics over time. something that cannot be said for the early QR albums.
+1

I also agree, though, that CC could never, in any universe, be considered a better guitarist than RR. Not to take anything away from Carlos, who is a solid guitarist in his own right, but he's not in Randy's league. I think he did a solid job within the parameters of playing in QR, as they had a certain sound. I just don't see him as being on par with Randy.

QR worked hard after Randy left, ratcheted down their act, and earned their spot in the METAL HEALTH era. They had their moment in the sun, and the MH album was their pinnacle. Hell, Dubrow and co. rode that wave as far as it would take them, and then more, into the 2000's nostalgia that people indulged in. And good for them. History has, and will continue to, prove that BOO and DOAM are the superior albums, though, when compared to those first two QR albums.

METAL HEALTH does have better cover art than DIARY OF A MADMAN, though! The front of that album is amateur hour. Compared to BOO, which had wicked and iconic cover art, that cover art was a big fail. Ozzy looks like his Dad dressed him up for Halloween, and he's on a sugar (or something else, it's Ozzy) high.
rhoads56
Cool Member

Post by rhoads56 »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:
+1

I also agree, though, that CC could never, in any universe, be considered a better guitarist than RR. Not to take anything away from Carlos, who is a solid guitarist in his own right, but he's not in Randy's league. I think he did a solid job within the parameters of playing in QR, as they had a certain sound. I just don't see him as being on par with Randy.

QR worked hard after Randy left, ratcheted down their act, and earned their spot in the METAL HEALTH era. They had their moment in the sun, and the MH album was their pinnacle. Hell, Dubrow and co. rode that wave as far as it would take them, and then more, into the 2000's nostalgia that people indulged in. And good for them. History has, and will continue to, prove that BOO and DOAM are the superior albums, though, when compared to those first two QR albums.

METAL HEALTH does have better cover art than DIARY OF A MADMAN, though! The front of that album is amateur hour. Compared to BOO, which had wicked and iconic cover art, that cover art was a big fail. Ozzy looks like his Dad dressed him up for Halloween, and he's on a sugar (or something else, it's Ozzy) high.
I love the Diary cover!! So much so, we nearly commissioned the photographer for our freakshow wedding :)
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

rhoads56 wrote:
CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:
+1

I love the Diary cover!! So much so, we nearly commissioned the photographer for our freakshow wedding :)
That's cool! To each their own, I guess!

I just always thought Oz looked like a local cable show horror host in that getup!
rhoads56
Cool Member

Post by rhoads56 »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:
I just always thought Oz looked like a local cable show horror host in that getup!
Yeah, but so do I after some heavy drinks on a saturday night :P