Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: New Kelly Garni Interview

Post by Paul Wolfe »

shred2 wrote:
Why the obsession with video?
1. Because it best represents what I like about the man in the first place - his playing.
Its not a beverage, or an instrument, it is a document of him playing.

2. Because we know it exists.

No I am not not satisfied with watching QR footage. I thought they were exceptionally weak as a band.
What would you learn about him by watching this video?

As for the QR comment, I simply cannot understand how anyone interested in Randy is not interested in his development from beginner to advanced guitar player. I will never understand the 'footage' thing because seeing video with Ozzy is only half of the picture. I've seen video of Randy playing with Ozzy and, frankly, I felt it was far weaker than his QR presence. Randy was confined to a box with Ozzy onstage, with Quiet Riot he could move the way he wanted which, in my opinion, gives a clearer picture of him as a performer.

As always, to each his own. Thanks for the response.
shred2

Post by shred2 »

I don't need to 'learn' anything Paul. I don't need to know him better as a 'person'.
I am not into the personality so much as the player.
How bout just sitting back and just enjoying it? Take it in and enjoy his talent at his PEAK.
RandyRox

Post by RandyRox »

Last edited by RandyRox on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RandyRox

Post by RandyRox »

BTW In my first post I forgot to say hello, so Hello!, but I don't think i'll be posting too often though.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Guess Paul could not say away for too long.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

shred2 wrote:I don't need to 'learn' anything Paul. I don't need to know him better as a 'person'.
How bout just sitting back and just enjoying it? Take it in and enjoy his talent at his PEAK.
To each his own. You sound condescending with the quotes, but that's fine. After 30 years of Blizzard and Diary, I get bored with what you call his 'peak'. I play guitar and would rather learn all I can about it instead of just sitting and watching or listening, but that's just me. You like what you like and we disagree, there is no "right" answer. All I said before is that I don't understand anyone who doesn't want to know more, I never said there was anything wrong with not wanting to know more.
RandyRox wrote:
shred2 wrote:I don't need to 'learn' anything Paul. I don't need to know him better as a 'person'.

^ This .. QR was a cheesefest at best. I'm with you Shred.
Welcome RR... to me Quiet Riot was a good '70's glam rock band. If you weren't around in the '70's you might not see it the way I do. That's cool, I'll agree to disagree.
shred2

Post by shred2 »

What do you think of Blackmore's Night, Paul?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

shred2 wrote:What do you think of Blackmore's Night, Paul?
I think Ritchie Blackmore is phenomenal at what he does. I'm not much of a fan of the Blackmore's Night stuff - it's the kind of music I'd have on in the background while working in my shop and not really paying attention.

In my opinion he is a great songwriter. His lead stuff that I like is when he was just goofing around on the Nobody's Perfect CD. I can't think of a studio lead I really care for... here's one of his leads from Nobody's Perfect that I really enjoy:

hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

INHO Quiet Riot was a great band but some of the costumes should have gone. They were awful. Randy pulled off the vest but I'm not so sure about the tie. The RR QR videos are awesome and reveal a "different but the same" Randy. I think Kevin wanted to get this out to the world that Randy had his chops already and it wasn't magic or Ozzy that transformed him. If people don't like the footage, too bad, I'll watch it. I can watch or listen to anything Randy. To me any new footage is going to make my mouth water, QR or OO. Ace had a great point of a Randy music book, which like Randy, should explain where his playing was coming from musically and after all, his family has a music school.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

hansolo wrote:Ace had a great point of a Randy music book, which like Randy, should explain where his playing was coming from musically and after all, his family has a music school.
I like that idea :)
Kel

Post by Kel »

shred2 wrote:What do you think of Blackmore's Night, Paul?
I love that stuff --

:D
Verbum Domini Manet en Aeternum

Kel
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

shred2 wrote:
1. Because it best represents what I like about the man in the first place - his playing.

No I am not satisfied with watching QR footage. I thought they were exceptionally weak as a band.

thank you
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
shred2 wrote:

No I am not not satisfied with watching QR footage. I thought they were exceptionally weak as a band.
What would you learn about him by watching this video?

What would i learn?? Everything... I'm playing in an Ozzy cover band and would like to see how Randy play some part of songs and second,, i just want to see him,,, just want to see him "alive" and play....
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

fortress wrote: What would i learn?? Everything... I'm playing in an Ozzy cover band and would like to see how Randy play some part of songs and second... i just want to see him... just want to see him "alive" and play...
You do realize that the same guy played in Quiet Riot, right? I understand your point of wanting to be able to do everything exactly like him in a 'tribute' band, it makes perfect sense. Thank you for putting it in those terms, that does help me understand the footage obsession a little bit.

There is a fair amount of video available of Randy playing with Ozzy, he pretty much stands still, takes a couple steps forward, takes a couple steps back, occasionally he turns around. He stays in his little box and plays guitar.

Personally I'm not a fan of tribute bands, but I understand people who like them. At 09:30 is what I think of when I hear about a 'tribute' band:

If that's your thing, more power to you.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe wrote:There is a fair amount of video available of Randy playing with Ozzy, he pretty much stands still, takes a couple steps forward, takes a couple steps back, occasionally he turns around. He stays in his little box and plays guitar.
that's why I prefer Jake & Zakk stage wise ;)