New Kelly Garni Interview

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

RRFan4Ever
Madman

Re: New Kelly Garni Interview

Post by RRFan4Ever »

The Flying Dutchman wrote: Kelly is one of the foundation figures that played a role in Randy's live. (like Kevin) I think he is still a valuable voice concerning the Randy story, whatever the intention of his new book is.
I agree, I think that Kelly and Kevin (and Ozzy) would have an interesting insight to Randy as a person on the whole. It seems to me that they were Randy's so called "best" friends, which is probably why they didn't get along at times. Randy indeed had/still has that aura about him that attracts people then sets them at ease and inspires.

I think that is why it's so difficult for all parties to agree upon how to further his legacy. His family and students seem to know a man with patience and love for music- whereas his closest friends have some unexpected stories (which still pale in comparison to most rock stars) however IMHO that shows how unique Randy was, what little time he was here on Earth.

It's obvious that everyone who knew Randy loved him- because people are still willing to fight "for" him. I don't know anyone else that has made an impact such as his. And of course, no one is perfect. But I'd venture a guess that Randy was pretty close in the eyes of those whom had the chance to know him and love him.

Paul is right, people profit from Randy everyday- wine, guitars, amps, books, records, autos- whatever have you. I'd like to start thinking that many can profit from Randy in ways that money couldn't buy. And for me, that's enough.

(for the record I didn't mean to eulogize him- I'm not a cult president or anything, not even a member lol I'm just now trying to figure out the quagmire of people who knew him in a way that makes sense without all the aggression that often accompanies his memory)

*edited typo- not/now
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
rhoads56
Cool Member

Post by rhoads56 »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Interesting interview and a few points that got mentioned which make me think :? . The Ormsby bass which had Randy's thumbnail inside. He decided to sell it because of the risk of it being stolen. Well all the years he had the thumbnail in his home. He had fans invited to his house and he would show the nail to them etc and show off his other memorabilia. But the risk of it being stolen never worried him then. If the truth was known did the bass get selt because it was the only thing of value he could make any money from at the time ??. Again another RR myth and the answer is so obvious to me why he sold it.
I do not believe for one second, it was sold for the "official" reasons stated.
I know who brokered the deal, where it went, and where it is now.
I know what the cash was used for, and what he did to continue the ride that it provided.

And the only reason we even know the bass was sold, was because one guy slipped up and told someone. Otherwise, Kelly would still pretend to own it.

I would love to tell the world the real story. But, I hate all this madness that seems to surround Randy's legacy. It's not a positive story. We need to remember Randy as a brilliant guitarist, and let that be our guide.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Rhoads56 was it not you who made Kelly the bass ?. Why are you protecting him, this has nothing to do with Randy Rhoads. Just the BS coming out of his so called friends mouth. Everything the guy had of Randy's is gone sold off for what. Because he had nothing else of value. Sad but true!!.
To think he's not had the bass 2 years and its sold.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4024
rhoads56
Cool Member

Post by rhoads56 »

It was me that made the bass. It was a dream come true to be part of it. I put my heart and soul into the instrument, and nearly went bankrupt doing so, both shutting down the business to build it over 5-6 weeks, paying a film crew to document the whole process in HD, and flying out to the USA to deliver it.

I like to think I have morals, integrity, and an honest nature. Spilling my guts on a forum, to tell the truth (and burning someone in the process), doesn't necessarily sit too well with me. However, a big part of me wishes to do so, as I feel I was lied to, kept in the dark, and used as a pawn. But my moral compass overrides that feeling. And to be honest, I feel embaressed that I didnt see it all coming. There was always a carrot dangling just out of reach, promising something (which would always fall through), so I haven't spoken up earlier.

As of two days ago, those carrots stopped dangling after a small altercation with his 'assistant', when saying I was looking forward to reading the chapter about the bass in Version 2 of his book (I was told there was a chapter written, then the publisher removed it without notice, for version 1, and of course, version 2 is being released to fix a bunch of 'wrongs'). Apparently the bass has no bearing on Kelly's story, and is not interesting. Ive since been deleted and blocked on facebook.

If anyone would like a 'genuine' Quiet Riot test pressing, one of only two pressed, and the only one remaining after Kevin's was destroyed, let me know. Not sure who the band is on the LP, but it's definately 'authentic'. I got it from an original band member.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

Regardless of where the bass is now, rhoads56- you made a beautiful instrument that I'm sure Randy would be proud to have in his memory. It sucks that things went down as they did and left a bitter taste in your (and many others) mouth- but do you think that having made that bass put your company out there a little more? I would hope so after everything you put into it!
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

So, Kelly sold the bass to have money for his new band?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Wow, this is why the RR community gets nothing, you all attack everyone and anyone to your heart's desire and then bitch because no one gives you anything.

In the United States of America anyone can sell anything for any reason they choose. Perry, you made a great instrument and had great reasons for doing so. I honestly feel bad for you that it cost you so much, I really do, but Kelly had every right to do whatever he wanted to do with that bass once it was given to him.

I very much respect you for not airing dirty laundry here. You are light years beyond the 99% in the Rhoads community for that.

As for the rest of you, why not find something positive to discuss? You all create the dram with your attacks and attitude. Personally I don't think the Rhoads family or the Osbourne camp should give anything more than they already have. The RR fans don't deserve it.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Perry out of curiosity how much did the bass cost Kelly, or was it a freebie ?. After all your effort and to take time out to deliver the guitar to Kelly from Australia.
rhoads56
Cool Member

Post by rhoads56 »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Perry out of curiosity how much did the bass cost Kelly, or was it a freebie ?. After all your effort and to take time out to deliver the guitar to Kelly from Australia.

Kelly paid $0
The bass sold for $125,000

Kelly had every right to do as he pleases, with the bass, and with the money. It was his. He sold his friends thumbnail, surrounded by a bass. The buyer, bought an awesome bass, and a musical artifact, all wrapped up in a cool story. Im glad it's in a wonderful collection now. Its safe. Im sure the new owner, doesn't get weirdos calling him to say they are going to steal it.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

Just out of curiosity, did that project help bring you more business? I would certainly hope so- I believe that everything happens for a reason. You made a beautiful one of a kind instrument, in memory of a musician that was equally as beautiful and one of a kind- surely there has to be something that has become as a result of it. At least, I would hope!

I will certainly make sure to put your name out there when anyone mentions wanting to contract a build. Actually, I include myself in that statement. Your work is impressive and your dedication is obvious- I can't think of better qualifications:) I assume you have a website? If not, I'll google your contact/business info. I actually have family that lives "down under" from what I understand, your continent has some badass wildlife! Big spiders, worms, misc whatever have you- lol. Just an interesting sidenote I thought I'd share.

And I hope that this mess clears up, and that you're given your due.
rhoads56
Cool Member

Post by rhoads56 »

RRFan4Ever wrote:Just out of curiosity, did that project help bring you more business? I would certainly hope so- I believe that everything happens for a reason. You made a beautiful one of a kind instrument, in memory of a musician that was equally as beautiful and one of a kind- surely there has to be something that has become as a result of it. At least, I would hope!

I will certainly make sure to put your name out there when anyone mentions wanting to contract a build. Actually, I include myself in that statement. Your work is impressive and your dedication is obvious- I can't think of better qualifications:) I assume you have a website? If not, I'll google your contact/business info. I actually have family that lives "down under" from what I understand, your continent has some badass wildlife! Big spiders, worms, misc whatever have you- lol. Just an interesting sidenote I thought I'd share.

Thanks mate, I appreciate that.

Ive worded about four replies now to your question, and I cant do it without sounding negative, so I'm going to just decline to answer.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

rhoads56 wrote:
RRFan4Ever wrote:Just out of curiosity, did that project help bring you more business? I would certainly hope so- I believe that everything happens for a reason. You made a beautiful one of a kind instrument, in memory of a musician that was equally as beautiful and one of a kind- surely there has to be something that has become as a result of it. At least, I would hope!

Thanks mate, I appreciate that.

Ive worded about four replies now to your question, and I cant do it without sounding negative, so I'm going to just decline to answer.
You're very welcome and I appreciate that you're declining to answer so as not to sling mud- that's awesome and I respect that.

You donated your time and money to invest in Randy's legacy- that's beyond awesome. Even though this story didn't have the ending that you had anticipated, I would hope that you're given what was promised to you by the associate you'd mentioned earlier.

Out of respect for what you've done I hope that he credits you somehow. Knowing some of the "cult" type RR fans, he probably was receiving threats or felt it was a risk- he probably did fear for the safety of the bass (but even if he was on a hustle, either way it is what it is) it sounds like the bass is safe and in good hands now.

Maybe he isn't putting it in the book for the same reason that you're declining to answer questions that could be misconstrued- I just hope that after all you went through that he gives you the credit you deserve- cos what you did constitutes being one helluva fan and truly invested in your craft- it's not often that someone steps up like you did.

Even though "shit happens" I hope that something positive can come from stepping in it.

Also, 125,000? DAMN- you made an instrument that SOLD for that amount- hey, good work, huh?! ;)
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

Paul Wolfe wrote: In the United States of America anyone can sell anything for any reason they choose. Perry, you made a great instrument and had great reasons for doing so. I honestly feel bad for you that it cost you so much, I really do, but Kelly had every right to do whatever he wanted to do with that bass once it was given to him.
After receiving $125K, he could have at least reimbursed Perry for his time and materials, no?
chilinvilin
Cool Member

Post by chilinvilin »

cableguyxx wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote: In the United States of America anyone can sell anything for any reason they choose. Perry, you made a great instrument and had great reasons for doing so. I honestly feel bad for you that it cost you so much, I really do, but Kelly had every right to do whatever he wanted to do with that bass once it was given to him.
After receiving $125K, he could have at least reimbursed Perry for his time and materials, no?
No shit... what an asshole kelly is!
rhoads56
Cool Member

Post by rhoads56 »

The bass sold for $125k. My understanding is that Kelly got less than that.