Why Randy?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

RockyRhoads

Why Randy?

Post by RockyRhoads »

I am curious as to why Randy Rhoads is your favorite or one of your favorite guitar players?

I am 39 years old an lived through the days when metal came through the punk and disco eras. I remember all the music when it was fresh and hadn't been heard a million times.

Randy became one of my top two favorite guys in 1981 because he was fresh and unique. My othe favorite was Eddie Van Halen, of course. To me they were both different - from everyone else as well as from one another. The both souded so effortless in their playing and they were both very inspiring.

Being as old as I am, I don't listen to too many new bands, but I always wonder why Randy Rhoads is still so popular. There must be new guys of this generation who are equally awe inspiriing, yet Randy is still revered.

So my question is, why?
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Well, I feel he influenced me more than any other guitarist personally. i am sure others feel this way.
Tommy
Cool Member

Post by Tommy »

Well, there's something special about his music. Not just his music, but him as a person aswell, you know? Every time i turn on a Randy Rhoads record, it inspires me, and amazes me how great his music is. I want to get better to just nail those licks, and such. I'd say that his music is timeless. It's as fresh now as it was 26 years ago, although maybe not as metal as it was back then, it still kicks some major ass! :D
BIG_P
Cool Member

Post by BIG_P »

I'm 34 and grew up around hard rock because of my older brother. I used to listen to his Beatles, Doors, Zeppelin and Black Sabbath records all the time. He had a 1966 Fender Mustang stashed under his bed and I would sit there and strum it and pretend I was rocking out. I was a 6 year old boy mind you :lol: . Then in late 1982 my sister brought home Motley Crue Too Fast For Love and Ozzy Osbourne Blizzard of Oz. Mom threw a fit saying "I don't want that devil music in my house...get it out of here!!!" :lol: Well for some strange reason my sister listened and she put them away in "secret hiding". I was 10...well I found the hiding spot and confiscated her LPs. Thought the Motley was pretty cool but, when I first heard Randy......My god it was almost like a spiritual release. Even at 10 years old I could feel what he was playing. All the emotion,all the feeling...totally awe inspiring!!! I had never felt that way before listening to the guitar. So THAT moment made me dig out my brothers first guitar...which was oddly enough an old Gibson spanish acoustic and started playing. I had a "shrine" made in my room with this big Randy poster with Xmas lights around it and would listen to that album for hours. Had to with the headphones on though because, remember mom thought it was the devil. :lol: Well to make this long story short....sorry...Randy is still inspiring me to this day. I have severe arthritis and carpal tunnel so, I really wasn't playing that much anymore but, I started listening to BOO and DOAM and felt that energy once again thanks to Mr. Rhoads. So I've been doing therapy on my guitar and it's starting to help. I can't thank him enough!!! God bless RR!!! He's STILL inspiring me to do my all after all these years.
Last edited by BIG_P on Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://img500.imageshack.us/img500/3465/banner2xt.jpg[/img]
[b][color=red]The saying, "words can not describe" are so true when it comes to Randy Rhoads.[/color][/b]
RhoadsOliva

Post by RhoadsOliva »

Ok first of all. Randy Rhoads was just a legend in himself i mean even the rare unreleased stuff or bootlegs makes fans go mad. Randy definatly outplayed a lot of guitarists, I hear over an over Dime is the greatest in teh world thats funny 3 years ago no one really gave as much a shit about him as they do now
BIG_P
Cool Member

Post by BIG_P »

I hear over an over Dime is the greatest in teh world thats funny 3 years ago no one really gave as much a shit about him as they do now
Those are what we call posers. Only true Dime fans know he's been kicking ass since the 80's. :wink:
[img]http://img500.imageshack.us/img500/3465/banner2xt.jpg[/img]
[b][color=red]The saying, "words can not describe" are so true when it comes to Randy Rhoads.[/color][/b]
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I heard Mr Crowley when I was about 13, A friend was trying to show me what I should be doing to convert me into a rock drummer! I never looked back and still either listen to him or think about his work everyday. Listening to him also made me re-think how I played drums and I started to play influenced by the work Randy and Tommy Aldridge did.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
RRrhoads56'

Post by RRrhoads56' »

Randy Is my Guitar hero because he played from the heart and did not care about the Girls, money or Fame that he would recieve when he bacame big. You can see this is true because in the middle of the Blizzard of Oz tour Randy Started thinking about endidng his Rock Star Career and going back to teaching Guitar at his mother's school. Also Randy sounded like he was a party boy and a prankster. I always enjoy hearing stories of Randy's pranks. I also love Randy because of his Great guitar playing and how he could make the simplest chord into a Marvelous song. I just Wish he was alive to see. I Love You Randy Rhoads.
Hey whats up Randy Rhoads fans! I Love Randy, He Was A God In The Midst Of Mortals. Randy Played from the Heart and That is why he was and always will be the best guitarist. I only dream of one day seeing him when i am dead (haha).
SixPounder
Cool Member

Post by SixPounder »

Randy is my favorite guitarists because he was so unique..Combining the blues with metal with classical..He was a genious
RRrhoads56'

Post by RRrhoads56' »

SixPounder wrote:Randy is my favorite guitarists because he was so unique..Combining the blues with metal with classical..He was a genious
Ditto. Randy was The god of the Guitar!
Hey whats up Randy Rhoads fans! I Love Randy, He Was A God In The Midst Of Mortals. Randy Played from the Heart and That is why he was and always will be the best guitarist. I only dream of one day seeing him when i am dead (haha).
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

P said it as it was way back,

Its to remeber or imagine now but way back in the early 80's Ozzy was the anti Christ and to like him was selling your soul.
to love the Ozzy albums was scorned but when you listened to those amazing guitar riffs you were wih Randy forever.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Rob200
Cool Member

Post by Rob200 »

Randy was the guitarist that inspired me to play guitar. and ive been studying his technique for about 2 years now...and i close to the perfect sound on my VOX Vlavetronix. He inspired me more than any other guitarist out there...when i was in my art class...on the radio was playing Crazy Train...and i was like "OOOO the guitar is freeking awsome"...did not even bother to know who was singing, then i listend to who was singin' and i was like "hey thats Ozzy! but who is the guitarist!"
webbpolice

Post by webbpolice »

randy is the greatest guitarist who ever lived in this earth!!! long ago i personally hated ozzy osbourne, so therefore i wouldnt go near his music, but when i read about randy rhoads' candenza (recently, yes im quite late!) in tribute album, and many other performances, i couldnt get over it. not because of its speed, or enjoyablity, but because this was the style i was playing(or at least trying) some time ago. i started playing last-last year's christmas, and started hearing rhoads late november of last year. since ive been listening to him, i've improved by like say, 60%, serious!

because of him, im now into the approach of classical and blues into my solos. only if he was still here, he probably wouldve mastered sweep picking and extreme apreggios, and defeat michael angelo and the four neck. but i personally like randy better then him!

sorry, i made a mistake....actually, when i first heard mr crowley (4 weeks ago), that was when i changed completely into blues and went that 70% up(rather than gaining it from when i first heard him, late nov2005)
thats my most favourite solo, ever, i dont know why people adore crazy train even more!!!!!!

RIP
:)
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Nice to see you here WP, if you are new to Randy make sure you keep an eye on the downloads section. We will be putting all the hard to get live shows on there for you to enjoy.
Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

In my opinion, Randy Rhoads was the finest rock guitarist to ever grace a stage. His playing had such personality and character.......unlike any guitarist before or since. With his passing, the world suffered a loss that cannot be weighed. He is truly an icon.