drives me crazy!

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

the crush
Cool Member

drives me crazy!

Post by the crush »

I've been a big randy fan for years and that's why I play guitar from hearing him or when I first crazy train even play in ozzy tribute band I just think its so weird their is no pro footage of the guy theirs a lot of older footage of other bands from that era and before it really drives me crazy I've seen everything out their after hours ect. But I've always wanted to see his picking hand up close he was the greatest just venting! Thanks
check out my guitar playing here
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinsofamadman
check out my custom RR guitar
built by VonLinsowe Custom Guitars Facebook
check out my ozzy tribute band Sins of a Madman on FB or www.sins of a madman.com or on YouTube
The Rock

Re: drives me crazy!

Post by The Rock »

Watch After Hours, there's plenty of clear video of Randy.
the crush
Cool Member

Post by the crush »

The Rock wrote:Watch After Hours, there's plenty of clear video of Randy.
I have !!
check out my ozzy tribute band Sins of a Madman on FB or www.sins of a madman.com or on YouTube
The Rock

Post by The Rock »

Well, then you've seen the best you're ever gonna get for seeing Randy's hands. Even if there is 'pro' video (which I still doubt), what are the chances of getting close ups of Randy's hands?

Have you seen the Quiet Riot videos from the Starwood? The Laughing Gas video is the best we have of Randy's picking and fretting.

the crush
Cool Member

Post by the crush »

Thanks I've seen the quiet riot stuff never really watched to closely but I will always was into blizzard and diary material
The Rock

Post by The Rock »

the crush wrote: always was into blizzard and diary material
This isn't directed at you, Crush, but I get so tired of hearing Randy Rhoads "fans" say, "I don't like the Quit Riot stuff, I'm into the Ozzy stuff." I say "fans" because anyone truly into Randy Rhoads wants to know everything.

Without the Quiet Riot stuff, there'd never be a Blizzard or Diary to listen to. This site tosses the term "legacy" around all the time, well Quiet Riot is a big part of that legacy. Think about it, when Dana Strum told Ozzy about a guitar player he had to see, was it because he loved Mr. Crowley or the fade out on Tonight? Nope. He loved the solo spot in Laughing Gas. That solo got Randy the gig.

So for all of you who want to see Randy playing the guitar rather than just ]i]hearing[/i] it, you gotta go to the Quiet Riot videos of Laughing Gas there are three of them - white vest, red vest & blue vest. If you ignore this stuff, you don't know Randy Rhoads.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

The Rock wrote:
Without the Quiet Riot stuff, there'd never be a Blizzard or Diary to listen to. This site tosses the term "legacy" around all the time, well Quiet Riot is a big part of that legacy. Think about it, when Dana Strum told Ozzy about a guitar player he had to see, was it because he loved Mr. Crowley or the fade out on Tonight? Nope. He loved the solo spot in Laughing Gas. That solo got Randy the gig.

So for all of you who want to see Randy playing the guitar rather than just ]i]hearing[/i] it, you gotta go to the Quiet Riot videos of Laughing Gas there are three of them - white vest, red vest & blue vest. If you ignore this stuff, you don't know Randy Rhoads.
+1 Randy's experience in QR not only secured his slot w/ozzy, Randy refined his chops and stage skills w/QR. Even though I much prefer the ozzy material myself, I cannot emphasize enough that there is still much to be learned about Randy in the RR/QR era.
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

To the OP.

If you haven't watched the Laughing Gas footage, do yourself a favor and watch it. Or maybe watch it closely. Listen to his solo, you will hear things you will recognize.
camdenlp
Cool Member

Post by camdenlp »

Cool video...can't ever watch it enough :)
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

The Rock wrote:
This isn't directed at you, Crush, but I get so tired of hearing Randy Rhoads "fans" say, "I don't like the Quit Riot stuff, I'm into the Ozzy stuff." I say "fans" because anyone truly into Randy Rhoads wants to know everything.

I think this is bollocks to be honest. You imply that to be a true fan you have to listen to randy's work with QR.....the bottom line is NO record label in america, europe thought it was any good other wise they would have got a deal. It is like saying you need to go back to the demo's of your favourite players the really "get" them..i'm a fan of adrian smith so I need to go back and listen to urchin???...really

For me randy rhoads is ozzy's guitarist and i could careless for the QR stuff
the crush
Cool Member

Post by the crush »

sytharnia wrote:
The Rock wrote:

I think this is bollocks to be honest. You imply that to be a true fan you have to listen to randy's work with QR.....the bottom line is NO record label in america, europe thought it was any good other wise they would have got a deal. It is like saying you need to go back to the demo's of your favourite players the really "get" them..i'm a fan of adrian smith so I need to go back and listen to urchin???...really

+1 I agree

For me randy rhoads is ozzy's guitarist and i could careless for the QR stuff
The Rock

Post by The Rock »

sytharnia wrote: I think this is bollocks to be honest. You imply that to be a true fan you have to listen to randy's work with QR...
To be honest, I didn't imply it, I said it outright. There are different types of fans here - the ones who are into the Ozzy stuff and hate the QR stuff, the ones who love the QR stuff as much as the Ozzy stuff, those who are obsessed with how he looked, those who want to know all about how he played what he did.

And yes, in my opinion, anyone who dismisses the Quiet Riot stuff is a shallow fan. I've heard the pathetic argument about how they could only get a deal in Japan because all the US labels passed on them. Read the history of Van Halen, they got passed over repeatedly as well. It took a lucky break for them to make it big. Quiet Riot didn't get that lucky break while Randy was in the band.

VH didn't make it because of any recorded material, they made it because of their live performance. When I say go back to the Quiet Riot material, I'm talking about the live video stuff first and foremost. It was good.

Also, while I'm ranting, Quiet Riot was a part of the 70's glam scene NOT the 80's hair metal scene. Pretty much everyone I've ever met who dismisses Randy's QR material is comparing it to his Ozzy stuff and 80's hair metal, which is apples and oranges.

And Sytharnia, you could probably learn a lot about Adrian Smith by studying what he did prior to Maiden. Just because you disagree with me doesn't mean I'm wrong. It's not "bollocks" as you say, it's a difference of opinion.
shawn
Cool Member

Post by shawn »

The Rock wrote: When I say go back to the Quiet Riot material, I'm talking about the live video stuff first and foremost. It was good.
You hit on something here that I believe is quite important. There are some bands that just smoke live and there are some; that sound just like their recordings. I prefer live recordings to studio albums for just this fact. My two favourite recordings are “If You Want Blood” and “Tribute” mmm maybe “DOAM live” now. “World Wide Live” turned me on to live albums and led me to buy as many as I could get of my favourite bands and then to give a listen to many other artists.

To me Randy’s playing on the Quite Riot studio albums is thin. That is not to say you cannot hear the talent that was obviously already there, but to me it is lean, though when you give the live recordings a listen, an entirely different attitude comes through.

The thing is I’m not into glam. For me it is like listening to Duran Duran, or David Bowie for the guitar parts, you can do it but it’s a wee bit of a chore until you find the hidden magic.

So I what I am trying to say is in my personal opinion you can be a fan of an artist but not particularly enjoy a certain genre of their career. Like say enjoying Garry Moore’s rock music but putting up with his blues; you can appreciate the talent without necessarily enjoying the show.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

The Rock wrote:
sytharnia wrote: I think this is bollocks to be honest. You imply that to be a true fan you have to listen to randy's work with QR...
To be honest, I didn't imply it, I said it outright. There are different types of fans here - the ones who are into the Ozzy stuff and hate the QR stuff, the ones who love the QR stuff as much as the Ozzy stuff, those who are obsessed with how he looked, those who want to know all about how he played what he did.

And yes, in my opinion, anyone who dismisses the Quiet Riot stuff is a shallow fan. I've heard the pathetic argument about how they could only get a deal in Japan because all the US labels passed on them. Read the history of Van Halen, they got passed over repeatedly as well. It took a lucky break for them to make it big. Quiet Riot didn't get that lucky break while Randy was in the band.

VH didn't make it because of any recorded material, they made it because of their live performance. When I say go back to the Quiet Riot material, I'm talking about the live video stuff first and foremost. It was good.

Also, while I'm ranting, Quiet Riot was a part of the 70's glam scene NOT the 80's hair metal scene. Pretty much everyone I've ever met who dismisses Randy's QR material is comparing it to his Ozzy stuff and 80's hair metal, which is apples and oranges.

And Sytharnia, you could probably learn a lot about Adrian Smith by studying what he did prior to Maiden. Just because you disagree with me doesn't mean I'm wrong. It's not "bollocks" as you say, it's a difference of opinion.
firstly trust me I have heard some of the urchin stuff and its awful........

I have never thought of randy QR as any kind of metal, to me it has always been poor glam. I grew up listening to slade so I know what I like in that style. I think there is a reason QR made it big after randy...because they were a better metal band than they were a glam band. The irony of that is randy always wanted to be heavier with QR but kevin stopped it. Also glam was "on the way out" in the late 70's so for labels the appeal wouldn't have been there.
If VH got signed on the live performance then there should have been no reason for QR not to...they were playing the same places, were considered the other big band around there at the time so there would have been plenty of shouts who would have seen them many times, don't think luck had much to do with it...they just weren't what labels thought would sell, but when they went heavier bam people saw $$$

it amazes me that after 29 years of listening to randy with ozzy i'm considered a shallow fan by "real" fans:roll:
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

Or it could be that record labels didn't want to take a chance that QR would compete with VH or maybe even Kevin managed to piss Gene Simmons off lol for some reason it reminds me of the bar I used to manage- the owner was never satisfied with anything eventually he opened another club a block away- and both bars took a walloping financially. I would say that labels are financially frugal, and they didn't want to chance rivalry between a newly signed act and their golden ticket.

And as far as live > studio, one band off the top of my head : Sevendust. Some of their studio releases didn't impress me but ill be damned if I wasn't rocking put to the same material live.
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon