Rudy V's Kelly

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Rudy V's Kelly

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

This was a query i had after reading about the position of the bass player in the Blizzard of Ozz.If Randy thought the world of Kelly Garni why didn't he put the word in for him instead of Rudy Sarzo.??When Kelly got sacked from Quiet Riot's management.Randy said to him "If you ask me to,I'll leave too.I don't want to,but we've been together all these years.We did start this band.I'd rather play with you than anybody else."But when the job was available for the bass players job in Ozzy's band who did Randy speak up for Rudy Sarzo..?? OK Rudy was playing with Randy prior to him being in Ozzy but he was in QR in a job, what was Kelly doing.. he was probably on welfare.I think that this was a bad move on Randy's behalf.It would be interesting to know if he considered him for the job.Or if he got an invite to turn the job down..??
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

Didn't Kelly stop playing bass and become a paramedic, then a photographer. I seem to remember him saying that he was relieved that he was no longer playing bass for Quiet Riot when he was out.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Yeah Ell but wouldn't you think after all the hard work of trying to make it big together and the opportunity was there.Wouldn't of you rather have been on tour and been giving the chance to do this.What you mentioned about him being relived of bass duties Yeah but i think this had alot to do with Kevin DuBrow and the fact they didn't have a major record deal with anyone..makes me think i would of fucked me day job off at the drop of a hat mate..But how quickly did he pick himself up and become an ambulance man/paramedic.He wouldn't of jumped into a job like that straightaway without the experience and qualifications etc..
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

I think he mentioned it in an interview which was posted on here somewhere, i'll find it for you.
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

Found it, it was in the guitar world issue about Randy. Page 110 on the right collumn. "You know what? I don't even want to do this any more." I had grown tired of the whole thing. I'd had enough of Kevin, Hollywood, struggling with the band and not getting anywhere. The funny thing is that Kevin and I are now good friends. We often joke that we're gonna clone Randy using DNA from his thumbnail and start Quiet Riot again." Funny thing is that is in the exact same paragraph as that "if you ask me to, i'll leave too" bit. Also a reference to that thumbnail that the other thread is about. On this page Kelly also says that Ozzy really didn't like him and tried to punch him or something for shooting at Randy. Ozzy might not have wanted Kelly in the band because of this.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Funny you should say that because this happened in the summer of 1984.
This was in the Garry Johnson book Ozzy osbourne.

Ozzy's feelings about being used didn't die away,and in the case of Rudy Sarzo actually got worse and worse,mainly because Quiet Riot vocalist Kevin DuBrow has got the biggest mouth this side of the Thames estuary.I think it would be fare to say that Ozzy started this row,accusing DuBrow and Randy's Quiet Riot replacement,a fairly nondescript Rhoads lookalike player called Carlos Cavazo,of copying his old stage act with Randy.DuBrow answered by saying he and Randy had done the same things (i.e. carrying Randy on his shoulders,half strangling him during his solos) before he'd even joined Ozzy's band.I know no-one who can substantiate this claim,although to be honest it doesn't seem entirely unlikely that Ozzy would have ripped anything from Quiet Riot who before 1983 were nothing more than a successful West Coast bar band.Later DuBrow's line got harder and he started telling reporters thing's like 'We don't give a fuck about Ozzy.We haven't got time even to think about him',as well as claiming that Ozzy 'sings like a frog' and going on to say even more uncharitable things about Ozzy's pals Slade.And as it would be fair to say that Quiet Riot have built their career firstly on the reputation that Randy Rhoads built up for himself,and secondly by covering Slade songs note for note,there's little wonder that they got Ozzy's goat.'Ah,that Quiet Riot',he told the American press.'That Kevin DuBbrow what a... schmuck! And that Rudy Sarzo...What a wimp.They've got a good band but they've based their success on the death of poor old Randy Rhoads.Then they badmouth me.I'll admit i wouldn't have been as successful without Randy.I feel i made him, and he made Ozzy become Ozzy.As for me singing like a frog,well one of these days, this frog will punch that Kevin DuBrow in his fucking trap.'As it happens Ozzy hasn't met up with DuBrow but when he met Rudy Sarzo back stage after one of his US shows this summer,true to his word he did belt his old bassist in the mouth.

Ozzy being the type of guy he is wouldn't of held a grudge he's fell out with alot of people over the years but they come back and work with him a prime example is Bob Daisley..
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

Ozzy is fucking crazy, did he ever happen to punch Tommy Aldridge as well? What about Bob and Lee?

Kevin DuBrow is a bit of a Hypocrite, he didn't sound too far away from Kermit the Frog himself (when speaking, not singing). Still, I like both bands quite a lot and most of the time both singers.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Ell wrote:Ozzy is fucking crazy, did he ever happen to punch.... What about Bob and Lee?
No he didn't punch Bob or Lee he just fucked them up big style.He watched them write the songs and the lyrics then just not bother to release them any royalties...You must of heard what he done with the so called Re-Masters what a joke that is...
therhoadlesstraveled
Cool Member

Post by therhoadlesstraveled »

What reason would he have to punch Tommy Aldridge? Tommy did nothing wrong to my knowledge, and his leaving led to the fame of Randy Castillo, whos drumming and songwriting help was a factor to the success of No More Tears. Besides, Tommy is a genuine class-act. One hell of a person. I'm looking at his mouth right now as I'm typing this (that picture in the message window is mondo-cool) and...well, I should just quit now.
Follis
Cool Member

Post by Follis »

Ozzy being the type of guy he is wouldn't of held a grudge he's fell out with alot of people over the years but they come back and work with him a prime example is Bob Daisley..
The same could be later said for Tommy, as he got kicked out after BATM since Ozzy didn't like his drumming on the album.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Follis wrote:
The same could be later said for Tommy, as he got kicked out after BATM since Ozzy didn't like his drumming on the album.
Yeah but he called Tommy straight back when he realized what a wanker Carmine Appice was!
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

No I didn't mean that I wanted him to punch any of them or anything. It was that he'd punched Randy and Rudy, if he punched Tommy then it would have been the whole band. I don't dislike Tommy or anything, in fact he's my favourate drummer. Yeah, i've heard about the new re-masters thing, the old you lookin' at me sounded so much cooler than the new. And why on earth Robert Trujillo? I think he should have got someone with a similar style to Bob. Not a fan of the new little dolls intro either.
Follis
Cool Member

Post by Follis »

Cuz Rob was in the band at the time.
Randy Magic
Friend of Randy

Post by Randy Magic »

DuBrow answered by saying he and Randy had done the same things (i.e. carrying Randy on his shoulders,half strangling him during his solos) before he'd even joined Ozzy's band.I know no-one who can substantiate this claim,
I can. :D
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Randy Magic wrote:
DuBrow answered by saying he and Randy had done the same things (i.e. carrying Randy on his shoulders,half strangling him during his solos) before he'd even joined Ozzy's band.I know no-one who can substantiate this claim,
I can. :D
Randy took a lot of ideas from QR to Ozzy. So it's not unlikely that Randy brought this idea with him when he worked with Ozzy.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.