Bob Daisley discusses Randy Rhoads and early days.....

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Bob Daisley discusses Randy Rhoads and early days.....

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I found this old interview with bassist Bob Daisley he talks about how Randy joined the band and the recording of the Blizzard albums check it out...

http://archive.unearthed.com/?news,2005,04,0000048421
CrazyBrain

Re: Bob Daisley discusses Randy Rhoads and early days.....

Post by CrazyBrain »

Bob is cool i met him once and he was really nice.
The situation with the so called "remastered" versions of "Blizzard" and "Diary" is really sad. I blame Sharon.
therhoadlesstraveled
Cool Member

Post by therhoadlesstraveled »

Bob Daisley: "I first met Randy in Jet Records office in London in 1979. What happened was I met Ozzy in a club in London one night. There was a band on called GIRL and I went to see them with a mate of mine because I knew they were signed to Jet Records. I'd been with Jet Records while I was in WIDOWMAKER and I was out of RAINBOW looking for something to do and I thought if I go along to see GIRL tonight at least I'll know people there from Jet Records. Ozzy was signed to Jet Records, he'd been signed with BLACK SABBATH and then BLACK SABBATH fired him but Jet Records kept Ozzy and not SABBATH.

"So, anyway, one of the Jet Records blokes introduced me to Ozzy, and Ozzy said, 'I want to put a band together, I've heard good things about you I know you've come from RAINBOW. Would you be interested?' I said, 'Yeah, certainly.'

"Ozzy and I got on great. A couple of days later, I got a phone call from Jet Records asking me to go up to Ozzy's place. At the time Ozzy was living in Stafford, he came to the station to meet me, picked me up in his car and we drove back to his house and he had a couple of mates there just local musicians, we had a bit of a play and Ozzy and I got on really well together.

"Ozzy phoned Arthur Sharpe from Jet Records, he was the one who introduced us, and I still remember Ozzy's words, 'Oh, yeah, Bob, and I get on like a house on fire, the fire brigades just left.' I had said to Ozzy, 'If you want to get really serious about this and you want it to be world-class, I don't think those other two guys are world-class. They're OK, they're nice blokes and they play OK, but I don't think it'll work out. Ozzy said, 'Hang on a minute.' He had this rehearsal room at the side of his house and he walked into where they were and said, 'Hey, fellas, it's not working out. Pack up, you can go home.' (laughs) Just like that.

"He came up to me and he said, 'I know this great guitar player in L.A. His name's Randy Rhoads.' He said he's a guitar teacher. When he said he was a guitar teacher I had envisioned this older guy with a pipe and wearing slippers and an old dressing gown on (laughs) teaching kids to play.

"They flew Randy over to London, I went into Jet Records and met Randy. I think he was 22 then and we went up on a train to Ozzy's house in Stafford. One thing that still sticks in my mind from then was we had a bit of a play together and we knew something was happening it was gelling. Randy and I looked at each other right at the same time and said to each other, 'Oh, I like the way you play.' We started putting ideas together, there weren't any lyrics and Ozzy was just sort of singing tunes over the top of what we were comin up with musically. We started auditioning drummers as we were writing the stuff as well so we were trying to get things happening while we had drummers sit in with us and some of them were good they just weren't right.

"We would go to rehearsal places, they were live-in places where you could rehearse day and night if you wanted to and you could live there. I remember staying at one of the places and it was called Transam Trucking, and I came down the next morning and Ozzy and Randy were there and they had some words put together for one of the songs on the first album. I can't remember what song it was they had spent ages on it and they had about four lines written. I read them and thought, 'God, these are fuckin awful. I better write the lyrics.'

"So I wore the lyricist hat only because Randy wasn't a lyricist and neither was Ozzy, and I thought, 'I don't want to be part of embarrassing lyrics' (laughs). So off we went and rehearsed, started putting lyrics together and right at the very end we had Lee Kerslake audition and he was the last drummer we had on the list and we thought, 'Let's hope he's good and if he didn't work out then the record company was saying, 'We need to get you in the studio to do the album, it's getting later and later.'

"So, if Lee didn't work out we probably would have gone into the studio with somebody like Cozy Powell, somebody who could have done a good enough session on the album.

"But as soon as Lee started playing, Randy and I looked at each other and thought 'Thank fuck, where's he been.' Lee was drummer number thirty nine that we had auditioned, loads of them we auditioned. Each day we had 4-5 drummers come in.

"Jet Records would phone us up and say, 'Well, we've got another list for ya. So and so at two o'clock, someone else at three, someone else at four,' but Lee worked out great, he was perfect for the band he was just what we wanted.

"Randy's mum owned a music school and Randy started playing at the age of five which is one the reasons he was so good at it. Having the classical background really helped with Randy's style of rock guitar playing. Most rock guitar players have had a rock or blues orientated background where Randy had a lot of classical stuff mixed in there, which helped with a lot of chord structures and unusual things for rock music. We used to call Randy 'Mal' it was short for malnutrition (laughs) he was really skinny, he had an athletic build and we used to call his girlfriend Jodie 'Anna' short for anorexia but they were both really nice and they really suited each other. Randy was a very gentle person he was never aggressive or loud. He was sarcastic at times and he would take the piss out of people without them really knowing. Randy had a very dry sense of humour; he wasn't your typical pie-in-the-face American. Sometimes we would go out to restaurants and I remember one time we were in Ridge farm in Surrey England, Randy, Lee Kerslake and I went down near Brighton on the coast and there was a model railway exhibition. Randy was into model trains and so was I, so the three of us went down to see this railway exhibition. I think I’ve got photos of that with trains running in front of Randy (laughs).

"The first time Randy and I ever went to Ozzy's house to play together, I remember standing on Stafford station with Randy and at this time nobody had a clue what was gonna happen with the band, how big it was going to be or if we were going to have any success at all. All of a sudden, I had this thought that one day people were going to continuously ask me 'What was Randy like?' 'What was it like to play with Randy?' 'What was he really like?' I didn't know at the time why I was having these thoughts. It must have been a premonition of things to come."
Count Jonah

Post by Count Jonah »

Thanks for the interview. Would love to see those train photos. :lol: