Day on the Green California photos + Randy's fav photo

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Re: Day on the Green California photos + Randy's fav photo

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

Looks like a D minor chord to me. I'm thinking Mr. Crowley. :wink:
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
matt21

Post by matt21 »

That top one is badass!!
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

Awsome,Great Pics keep turning up,I cant believe no footage has ever been claimed,even if it was just local News?
00Diablo

Post by 00Diablo »

Wow, thanks everybody for the great thread and photo's! I was actually doing a google search on Mick Ronson and came across this site due to a mention here of his influence on Randy Rhoads. What an incredible resource, and I've already spent an hour or so poring over the stories and discussions.

This thread and the incredible photo's have really opened up a flood of memories for me.

I was at this gig, and it changed my life.

I was 15 at the time, and had just started playing guitar a year or so earlier. The Day On The Green in Oakland on July 4th, 1981, will always remain with me as a major highlight of all the concerts I have ever attended.

I knew who Ozzy was, of course, but had no idea about the band he had with him. Even though I lived in Alameda (about 5 minutes away), me and my friends barely made it into the show in time to see Ozzy's set. I mean, it seems almost surreal these days to have a hard rock concert starting at 10AM.

We worked our way up to about 40-50 yards from the front, and when Ozzy and the band took the stage early that day as the Bay Area fog lifted, many young lives were changed.

I remember me and my friends' jaws collectively dropping as Rhoads, Sarzo, and Aldridge completely took over the proceedings. One of the finest metal lineups ever assembled, they just tore up the place with explosive energy. And we were completely mesmerized by the musicality, technique, and awesome sound delivered by that little blonde-haired dude on guitar. "Who is this guy?", we kept asking each other!

Unless you saw Rhoads live, one important factor that might be overlooked is "stage presence" - he had it in spades. He owned the stage that day. Needless to say, the rest of the day (including BOC and Heart) was a bit of a letdown after Ozzy's incendiary set.

I went home that night a changed person, more of a metal fan than ever - and inspired to take my guitar playing to the next level.

I remember later buying a couple of those photo's that Phil has on his website, can't remember where, probably a record store or another concert. Wish I still had 'em, maybe they are in storage - but it's nice to see them again. I think either me or a friend had some of Dave's photos as well, as that classic shot in his avatar holding up the Les Paul (similar to Mick Ronson's) definitely brought back some memories. Thanks so much for posting the photo's.

I did get to see the classic Blizzard lineup one more time - at the Cow Palace in SF later that year. But I remember that show was beset by technical difficulties and cut short after only about 45 minutes. I was fairly disappointed that night.
And just a few months later, Randy was gone.

Who knows what he might of become. But for those two albums with Ozzy, Rhoads not only legitimized Ozzy's entire solo career, but left behind a small body of work which holds up musically to this day, IMO. It's not only the great riffs and memorable solos, but some of the atmospheric guitar textures on those two albums which still sound great as well.

I think Rhoads deserves his place among the great guitarists of hard rock. And on a personal note, I find his reputation for professionalism, devotion to craft, and continual pursuit of musical growth to be very inspiring and refreshing.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Great story! 8)
& welcome aboard!
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

That must of been one hell of a first gig for anyone, i think everyone remembers there first gig. Welcome to UR and cheers for your post. :wink:
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

Where's the pick of Randy laughin his ass off. I didn't see it :D
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

00Diablo wrote:Who knows what he might of become. But for those two albums with Ozzy, Rhoads not only legitimized Ozzy's entire solo career, but left behind a small body of work which holds up musically to this day, IMO. It's not only the great riffs and memorable solos, but some of the atmospheric guitar textures on those two albums which still sound great as well.
Welcome & Thanks for the Story,it had to be Awsome! I Love hearig from people who saw Ozzy & Randy,I was too young but I always will remember my 1st Concert (I saw Kiss in 1990 w/o Makeup,but Huge stage set & Tons of Pyro ) when I was 10 & my ears were ringing in school 3 days later 8) I saw Ozzy at the Music hall where Tribute was recorded in 91 Annd those first shows I saw were life changing & I remember them in great detail.Ive heard stories from alot of different people (most of whom wernt musicians) & they all mentioned Randys stage presence. :lol: Thats why I am so excited about this Video.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re:

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

This is the photo here and the reason behind Randy laughing... :lol:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Randy actually had an accident with his trousers at this gig.He was posing giving it some big licks and riffs with his legs wide open and the crotch of his trousers went RIPPPPPPP :oops: .If you notice at the start of the gig he's wearing matching trousers & waistcoat with red piping down the side .At the end of the gig he's got plain black trousers on.Ross Halfin took a cool photo of Randy laughing his head off after he'd ripped his trousers.Ross tried to get a shot of him in his ripped trousers but he never did..Randy said it was his favourite Live photo..i'll scan it and post it up..
Image[/quote]
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

Oh. I thought you had one where Randy was REALLY laughin his ass off. I saw the story. I actually read the whole thread. Thanks for posting GUITARIDOL :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

Great story 00Diablo. I know we will finally see some of that stage presence again in our near future. I have to admit it...this has been one hell of a desert to walk through. We've seen lots of mirages this year so far... :lol:

To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
00Diablo

Post by 00Diablo »

I sincerely do hope we get to see some of that footage soon. I've been reading up on that situation here, and it seems to be a sorry state of affairs.

Although it was one of the defining moments of my youth, it was such a long time ago that it all seems like a dream. It really would be a holy grail of sorts for us fans to see footage of Randy on stage again. I hope we all live long enough to see this happen.

IMO, after 25 years it is a part of cultural history - and the people involved need to do the right thing. How the Hollywood agents and lawyers bought and sold Congress on the current state of copyright law is a disgrace.
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

Is this the pair of pants before he ripped em lol? :lol: This is a different show though!
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Axeman1956 wrote:Is this the pair of pants before he ripped em lol? :lol: This is a different show though!
No... The pants he had on were black with a thin piped red stripe down both legs. He still has the matching vest on. He must of went off stage briefly as he managed to change into a plain black pair of pants. If you look closely at the different photos from the gig you'll notice what i'm saying.
harpoon v

Post by harpoon v »

check it out!!!Oakland - 21/07/1979 Live Aerosmith http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4oZFpKw ... re=related
(They had cameras in 1979 why not 1980 ?) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAr9hUiW ... re=related (I have no dout that we will one day see the a day on the green show with randy.)