Forgerys Fakes and Facsimile

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

Please note in the attachment I have provided here the one way of knowing you have an original signature is by the detail in how he attached his letters to the 'd' in his name.There is a distinct connection to the stem of the 'd' and although his signature style changed in many ways-especially the R's, he never changed this detail in his signature over many years.It is one i.d. method that determines a real sig.It is too hard to fake this detail.(Please note Randy did do a sloppy version of his signature also where he did his 'd' a little different-you can see examples/explanation of that in my next post below)

The signature detail is highlighted by the white boxes in the attachment photo I included here.The white arrows are just pointing out the way he would sweep up to the 'd'.It is where he connects that sweep to the stem of the 'd' that is crucial and highlighted by the white boxes.Note the sweep connects to the stem of 'd' always a bit above the 'o' part of the d.Most of us would connect to the circle part of the d as it is a much easier transition.I dont know how he maintained a smooth flow doing the 'd' part.Like do you complete the stem part first or the o part?You have to backtrack to complete the d the way he does it.If you cant do it properly you will just make a nice big patch of ink.That's why I have never seen anyone who has sold a fake bother to even try do the d properly-they will just do the d the way you or i would normally do.
Attachments
randyautographedukprogwcaaa.jpg
Last edited by oth on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

Wow. Nice CSI work. Never really dissected that much, but thanks for pointing it out.
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

oth wrote:Please note in the attachment I have provided here the one way of knowing you have an original signature is by the detail in how he attached his letters to the 'd' in his name.There is a distinct connection to the stem of the 'd' and although his signature style changed in many ways-especially the R's, he never changed this detail in his signature over many years.It is one i.d. method that determines a real sig.It is too hard to fake this detail.

The signature detail is highlighted by the white boxes in the attachment photo I included here.The white arrows are just pointing out the way he would sweep up to the 'd'.It is where he connects that sweep to the stem of the 'd' that is crucial and highlighted by the white boxes.Note the sweep connects to the stem of 'd' always a bit above the 'o' part of the d.Most of us would connect to the circle part of the d as it is a much easier transition.I dont know how he maintained a smooth flow doing the 'd' part.Like do you complete the stem part first or the o part?You have to backtrack to complete the d the way he does it.If you cant do it properly you will just make a nice big patch of ink.That's why I have never seen anyone who has sold a fake bother to even try do the d properly-they will just do the d the way you or i would normally do.
Good research! 8)

btw welcome aboard! :wink:
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

However,
Randy did do a sloppy version of his signature where he almost doesnt make a little circle shape for the letter d.Instead the sweep and connection to the letter d almost looks like a straight line.I believe the signature on the white background signature without ticket stub sample here was in feb 82(pittsburg show) and then you have the one from jan 29 '82.

Also check out how hard it is to discern in these 2 signatures the letters o,a,d in rhoads-It gets very messy and is hard to see where one letter starts and the other begins.I put a question mark for that in the first sample sig here and then in the 2nd sample i just put a triangle around the letter o that follows h in rhoads.I think this sloppiness only shows up in later signatures.I guess he was pressed for time and penmanship was the last of his worries.
This is what i mean by sloppy.You will have to click on the jan29 ticket sig to get a larger size for some reason.

Observe the jan 29 signature:
The d in rhoads has no little circle or loop in it-this is a lazy or sloppy d.
Please also note the d in randy has a tiny o shape in it and then looks almost an inverted extremely long,skinny 'u'....

Observe the feb82 signature:
Randy does the same thing with his 'd's but in reverse order!I guess he liked to mess around with his sig!

Also in both sigs i have arrows showing that he carried the 'Y' in randy to the 'R' in rhoads!Adding yet another variation to his sig.I think he only started doing that in 82.

Note that randy did many different R shapes.Im trying to sort it out.
I cant beleive one person could have so many variations of a letter in his signature but he did.It looks like they are from different people!

*I am stating that the signature without ticket stub is from feb82 because i remember that one being on ebay 3 or 4 yrs ago and asking questions about it.I could be mistaken but i am close to dead certain.

I am posting this info because i have seen too many people buying bs ones online.Hopefully my info can help people see what is real and what is not.On ebay 19 out of 20 randy signatures are not real.This goes for all signatures on the net though.I dont even think you can sell autographs on ebay anymore without psa authentication(not that psa could tell a real RR sig though!).
Attachments
randyrsignatureym12.jpg
rrsign66.jpg
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Cheers for your input on this subject and thanks for pointing out those features in Randy's signature. I have noticed Randy's signature changing that much, that it is very hard to say if some of the signatures i've seen over the years have been bogus or genuine.In some cases RR signature has been added to an original set of band signatures.Which makes the item that harder to decide if it's genuine or not. I have been stung in the past buying on ebay and when the item arrived i noticed how the 3 other signatures had faded and Randy's was brand new and a very poor attempt, if that. The two examples below show a very different signature,i always wondered if the one on the Blizzard sleeve was added as it is very different in style.The same with the signed ticket stub this was off putting because of the very basic 'R'.But i think it's a process of elimination and looking for tell tale signs and staying well clear of the guys on ebay who have multiple collections of dead rock stars autographs. Thanks again and welcome to the board .
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote: The two examples below show a very different signature,i always wondered if the one on the Blizzard sleeve was added as it is very different in style.The same with the signed ticket stub this was off putting because of the very basic 'R'.But i think it's a process of elimination and looking for tell tale signs and staying well clear of the guys on ebay who have multiple collections of dead rock stars autographs. Thanks again and welcome to the board .
Those are both REAL,legit randy autographs.
The ticket stub is easy to id as real-In Randy it shows it has the the 'lazy d' with that sweep up and then it drops down to join the stem and then has no loop on the stem.The d in rhoads has that sloppy double stem i think he adopted in 82 that i describe in my above post.

The blizzard signature is a little harder to id as real from the d's.
The d in randy has a slight sweep up to it but it seems to join a non existing loop.The d in Rhoads provides no clue from what i can see.However the R in rhoads is totally legit and quite hard to fake.The R in randy is also legit but it is one that you see less often.Its crazy that he often used a different shaped R in randy and another for rhoads.Here the randy r looks sloppy and the rhoads r looks elegant.Sometimes you have to look at other letters in the signature to determine authenticity but 95% of the time the d will tell you all you need.

Anyway your 2 examples are not as easy to id as the first one i posted with the red background.That one has all his classic tell tale signs for legitimacy-with the sweep up that joins the d stem above a well formed loop.

Your blizzard autograph is a real tough one and if somebody was selling it to me I would have apprehension at first because it is not an easy, no-brainer.If i had little research in RR signatures i would not be able to make a confident decision.I would warn any rhoads fan buying a sig only to buy one that is a clear,obvious example.

There was a guy in minnesota that was regularly selling facsimilies of the rr signature.Sometimes in pen or pencil.They were damn good.
I would advise anybody never to buy from a power seller or dealer that has a bunch of signatures for sale all the time.An autograph seller that sells more than 2 rr autographs in a year is another red flag.
Beware of 1 or 3 day auctions.
The guy in brazil was awful.I have seen many people pay $400+ for a bogus RR sig.

Also silver and gold sharpies markers were not used til long after randy.So if you see a gold or silver randy sig its not real.
Black marker is legit though.
JAY
Cool Member

Post by JAY »

Here is mine:
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Hi Jay thats a nice set of early Ozzy/Blizzard signatures you have there. Did you meet Ozzy-Randy and the band ? Or did you get these some other way ? welcome aboard .. :wink:
wyldeone
Cool Member

Post by wyldeone »

I also agree that the 2 Shawn shown above are Real!! Its funny how his UK autograph is much cleaner and nicer than the later ones I seen signed in the US.. Ill keep my Blizzard album I think its a Gem.. I was searching for many years for a piece like that and I owned Quite a few RR autographs.. Happy Holidays Everyone!! Dave.. How have you been Shawn??
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I put this in another thread and the more i look at it im saying that this is a forged RR signature and a poor attempt if that.The Rudy signature is probably genuine as he didn't really fault it...what do you think ?
Attachments
RR & Rudy signature.jpg
wyldeone
Cool Member

Post by wyldeone »

was this the one by some radio station in florida??
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

wyldeone wrote:was this the one by some radio station in florida??
Yeah Dave this was the item here
http://cgi.ebay.com/RANDY-RHOADS-Mega-R ... 286.c0.m14
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:I put this in another thread and the more i look at it im saying that this is a forged RR signature and a poor attempt if that.The Rudy signature is probably genuine as he didn't really fault it...what do you think ?
that is a very real sig....note the 'h' ..especially the lower right side of it where it goes to join the o ,it has a weird kink in it..this is another sloppy version of his sig that he did.There is another sig in this thread that shares same characteristics.And it is very hard to duplicate by hand-maybe you could do it by copying paper?Regardless that is a real version of his sig.The pic is too small to examine well and it might look a bit shaky?

It is the same version as in this pic that i put in another post above...

oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

wyldeone
Cool Member

Post by wyldeone »

oth wrote:and of a course a hideous fake:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OZZY-OSBURNE-RANDY- ... otohosting
Yes I just seen this Piece of Crap on ebay.. and people are bidding! What a shame..