Steven Rosen and Andrew Klein Book Excerpt

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

mpavlic

Re: Steven Rosen and Andrew Klein Book Excerpt

Post by mpavlic »

I was going to buy it when it was $100 back in October or so. I hemmed and hawed for a while and then it was back up to $150 after christmas. At that point I said forget it, maybe one day I'll buy a used copy. I was reading this thread and said to myself let me check the price. I'm still waiting to get an email from amazon saying the price was incorrect....
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

mpavlic wrote:I was going to buy it when it was $100 back in October or so. I hemmed and hawed for a while and then it was back up to $150 after christmas. At that point I said forget it, maybe one day I'll buy a used copy. I was reading this thread and said to myself let me check the price. I'm still waiting to get an email from amazon saying the price was incorrect....

Here it is direct from Velocity publishing for $79

And I just saw this at Amazon 2 minutes ago...
Attachments
Capture.JPG
mpavlic

Post by mpavlic »

So I got my copy of the book. I'm not done yet, so I can't give my full opinion. A lot of the information I knew already, some of it I didn't. That's not the fault of the book as much as it is that I was obsessed with reading anything I could find oh randy back in the day when I was a teenager. I wish all of the photos had captions telling you who took them, when, and where but that's a minor gripe. The writing isn't bad, but it is a little....what word do I use, basic? That doesn't make the content bad because the sentence structure is basic though. So far, a good book based on presentation and content. However, when I was a teenager 20 years ago I would have paid a fortune for anything resembling a book of this type. And for me on a personal level, that alone makes me happy to have it.

As far as the different opinions by members here about how the book came to be, it's authors, the content etc., .....the book is here, it exists, read it or don't. I get all sides, I really do, but at the end of the day, if you want to read it, do it. If you hate the book and the people who wrote it, ignore it. Me, I'm somewhere in between, but my curiosity in the end of being a fan who for decades would wish for something, anything randy related (remember the promised Diane Pierson book??) I welcome any new content on randy to the world, flaws, drama, issues and all.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Mr. Wolfe wrote:
RRfan4eveRR wrote:What truly sucks is that this project screwed the family over...
I want to know HOW these people feel this book 'screwed' them. They chose to not be involved and didn't do anything until it was published from what I understand. Maybe, just maybe, there is more to Randy's family keeping things from us than we realize?

Not knowing them, nor having ever spoken with them I cannot say. My friend Frank thinks very highly of them and I think very highly of him. That said, I've met some people in the last two months with a different point of view who I also have much respect for...

For the record, I was wrong about this book and about Randy. I stand by my feelings of being offended by some of his behavior presented in the book as well as the idea that some folks think that behavior is somehow 'cool'. When all is said and done though, it's excellent.
hahahahaha. That was actually funny.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

mojopin70 wrote:
Mr. Wolfe wrote:
RRfan4eveRR wrote:What truly sucks is that this project screwed the family over...
I want to know HOW these people feel this book 'screwed' them. They chose to not be involved and didn't do anything until it was published from what I understand. Maybe, just maybe, there is more to Randy's family keeping things from us than we realize?

Not knowing them, nor having ever spoken with them I cannot say. My friend Frank thinks very highly of them and I think very highly of him. That said, I've met some people in the last two months with a different point of view who I also have much respect for...

For the record, I was wrong about this book and about Randy. I stand by my feelings of being offended by some of his behavior presented in the book as well as the idea that some folks think that behavior is somehow 'cool'. When all is said and done though, it's excellent.
hahahahaha. That was actually funny.
What was funny? Please elaborate.
RRfan4eveRR

Post by RRfan4eveRR »

Mr. Wolfe wrote:

The family signed for a documentary but contributed a significant amount of information toward the authors book instead, as far as I'm aware. That pretty much screws them imo.
I don't have a short attention span I
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

RRfan4eveRR wrote:
Mr. Wolfe wrote:

The family signed for a documentary but contributed a significant amount of information toward the authors book instead, as far as I'm aware. That pretty much screws them imo.
And then they were asked if the information could be used in the book and they said no, so it wasn't used. I've read the book, where are the quotes from Kelle, Kathy and Delores? There are none. How about the pictures? Taken by people other than the Rhoads family.
RRfan4eveRR

Post by RRfan4eveRR »

No, there aren't any quotes in the book attributed directly to the Rhoads family, nor are there any from anyone that chose not to participate in the project. However, if my memory serves correctly, the film trailer had issues with consent for release but that is niether here nor there.

It's only my opinion that the authors used their documentary credentials to access information that they would have normally not had access to. There are stories in that book where it goes on to elaborate about Randy and his family that I believe came from interviews and discussions with Delores, Kelle, and Kathy. But they are worded carefully so as not to quote anyone. I believe that was probably premeditated however that doesn't matter because the end result is still the same. I'm pretty sure that there, are also photos that were contributed for the doc but ended up in the bio instead, but any confirmation of that would have to come from unsealed court records.

Even tho my BF bought this book for me, my opinions haven't changed much about the authors. I find it highly coincidental that the doc went tits up but instead there are 2 products on the market totaling something like 300 with shipping. I'm not a huge conspiracy theorist but this whole situation is pretty fishy to me, and the allegations of unprofessional conduct made by not one, but many, that ended up backing out only serve to corroborate my opinion.

And that is merely what it is, an opinion.
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

RRfan4eveRR wrote:I'm not a huge conspiracy theorist but this whole situation is pretty fishy to me...
And why did the documentary get canned? That is an important piece of the puzzle.

Why is it so hard for so many to understand that permission, in writing, had to be given for both the book AND the film and that anyone bypassing that would know they were going to be sued? Not many people spend the money to publish a book of that quality fully expecting to be sued.

We'll simply just have to agree to disagree on this subject.
RRfan4eveRR

Post by RRfan4eveRR »

I suppose that you say because the Rhoads canned it, it must somehow entitle the authors to write 2 different biographies? I don't agree with you, nor do I believe that the authors intentions were that pure. Not the way that many people complained of their behavior in the course of working with them.

Who can say that the documentary REALLY isn't abysmal? Have you seen it? I haven't.

What's done in the dark always comes to light eventually. More than likely there are 3 sides to this story. I'm totally ok with that, too.
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

RRfan4eveRR wrote:I suppose that you say because the Rhoads canned it, it must somehow entitle the authors to write 2 different biographies? I don't agree with you, nor do I believe that the authors intentions were that pure. Not the way that many people complained of their behavior in the course of working with them.

Who can say that the documentary REALLY isn't abysmal? Have you seen it? I haven't.

What's done in the dark always comes to light eventually. More than likely there are 3 sides to this story. I'm totally ok with that, too.
"What's done in the dark always comes to the light eventually." Is that true even if Randy's family are the ones not behaving above board? That's not casting allegations, it's simply a question.

Is the documentary abysmal? I've been told it is by people who have seen it.

I did not say the Rhoads' canned the film, I asked, "Why did the documentary get canned?" Did the Rhoads can it? Did Dakota can it? Did Obama can it? But that's who not why... didn't Sharon pull the use of Ozzy's music from the film and his involvement in it? If so, that would end the film because the whole story is only interesting to most fans and without the Blizzard of Ozz you cannot have the whole story, right? Sounds like a legitimate reason to end the film right there.

You do not believe the authors intentions were pure based on hearsay from people posted on the Internet? Try contacting the author and get some first hand information and if you still feel the way you do then that's reasonable. I've spoken with Andrew Klein and I have changed my opinion on this subject and have apologized to him for talking trash without knowing both sides of the story.

As I said at the end of my last post, you and I can agree to disagree, right?
RRfan4eveRR

Post by RRfan4eveRR »

Um, yeah- it's merely my opinion and I don't obsess about anyone that disagrees with me. Well, normally anyway.

Yeah, the analogy about light would include basically everyone on the planet, which would include the Rhoads. Delores shouldn't have to spend any time she has left defending what she perceives her son's legacy to be, IMHO, especially considering that, more than likely- the doc in question probably does suck.

I've thought this thing thru more than I probably should have cuz I could have been just a regular Randy fan pleased with a book, but when it came out at $150 with shipping at a clip, the negatives experiences people had had with the authors seemed to make sense. Again, it's merely my opinion- I'm content to agree that we disagree. But I do feel the authors had indeed earned their negative press due to their behavior.
RRfan4eveRR

Post by RRfan4eveRR »

Mr. Wolfe wrote:
RRfan4eveRR wrote:I'm not a huge conspiracy theorist but this whole situation is pretty fishy to me...
And why did the documentary get canned? That is an important piece of the puzzle.

Why is it so hard for so many to understand that permission, in writing, had to be given for both the book AND the film and that anyone bypassing that would know they were going to be sued? Not many people spend the money to publish a book of that quality fully expecting to be sued.

We'll simply just have to agree to disagree on this subject.
I have got to stop multi-tasking and UR at work.

So, did the Rhoads sign off for both a book and a documentary? Because then I was wrong to assume that the authors were scheming this on the side. Just wondering, I definitely overlooked this yesterday. If this book was originally agreed to in writing by both parties, that changes a lot for me and I'm willing to accept my very public flogging :-)
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

blindleadingtheblind wrote:I remember at the very beginning..way before ironface sucked d*$K for beer money to get involved. I was told by Peter, that this film would also be accompanied by a ((book release)) basically a copycat of the film. Hey! it's a brilliant Gene Simmons idea $$$$$..

Ironface got involved because he seemingly knows more about randy than the people that actually knew Randy. I don't think there is any reason to bad mouth the guy at all, he has never said one bad thing in the 10+ years I have seen him on the forums. Speaking of that, it looks like he is all done or maybe got burnt out on Randy finally. I don't think he has posted in over a year.

I have a strong feeling of a RR presence here based on your comments...and I'm not talking about Randy either.
Nick Hughes
Cool Member

Post by Nick Hughes »

blindleadingtheblind wrote:I remember at the very beginning..way before ironface sucked d*$K for beer money to get involved. I was told by Peter, that this film would also be accompanied by a ((book release)) basically a copycat of the film. Hey! it's a brilliant Gene Simmons idea $$$$$..
i like how you deleted 90% of you entire post