Trivial, But...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Trivial, But...

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I was always under the impression (not sure why) that by the time Quiet Riot recorded their songs, Randy was playing his Les Paul. I also assumed that the records were made with that guitar...

So I found a picture the other day of Kevin, Kelly & Randy in the studio and Randy is playing his SG. I cropped the shot down to focus more on the guitar.
Attachments
377298_10151067163283471_440002310_n.jpg
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Re: Trivial, But...

Post by Shockwave »

Looks like a sg..

Also it seems like Randy's playing is giving Kevin an erection lol
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Shockwave wrote:Looks like a sg..

Also it seems like Randy's playing is giving Kevin an erection lol
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's the full shot, makes you miss '70's decor, huh?
Attachments
377298_10151067163283471_440002310_n.jpg
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

I may be wrong, but I recall that Randy used a strat for at least some of those recordings (QR1/2). A picture of him in the studio, with a natural finish model comes to mind. I think it was owned by the recording studio.

Could that picture be the recording of Quiet Riots three track EP?

Whatever happened to that SG? It had tuning problems or something right? I think I heard about it being a last resort back up on the first Ozzy tour, but again, my memory could be very wrong here.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

The new RR book has pics of him using guitars i've never seen before. He would lend guitars from students and friends for playing and recording. If he picked up someones guitar and liked it. He must of been well impressed with them as he was a stickler for good tone etc.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

What I remember hearing about the SG was it went out of tune and he used light gauge strings that would break all the time.
rocksoldier

Post by rocksoldier »

The other night I was reading the new book and I saw him playing what looked like a different LP that I had never seen before. It was in the early BOO days. Looks like a natural wood tone LP, with black knobs and the sides look like a darker wood. Its not exact as this picture, but looks close to me. I think the pickups were different. In fact, looks like a Mick Ronson like Les Paul/ Anybody else notice that? This book is full of surprises. Maybe I am wrong...but I'm pretty sure its not his regular LP. Maybe it has been discussed. Sorry if it has.
Attachments
naturalLP.jpg
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Was he wearing a yellow shirt in that pic? And having a bad hair day? I know the shot, but not the history behind it.
rocksoldier

Post by rocksoldier »

Ill look at the pics when I get home...hes playing with 0zz and Bob and theres more than one photo of it in the book. Im 99 percent its a different LP. Has Mahogany slab eith natural maple top (my guess) black tone and volume knobs and I think black humbuckers. I was reading it late Saturday night. It may be a LP Classic^Deluxe. Im gonna find out and report back. I believe this was the chapter discussing the beginning of the BOO tour....coild have been a loaner but I had to do a ttiple check when I saw it. Very cool. Im a LP fan so it caught my eye.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

As I say, I know the pic (or at least one from the set), I'm thinking it was a LP Standard with the trapezoidal inlays, but I could be wrong.
rocksoldier

Post by rocksoldier »

Paul,
You were spot on about the photo...yellow shirt, bad hair day (lol). Sarzo is in the picture not Bob as I said before. From what I could see and I checked this prior to reading your message, it looks like the ectangle inlays that would normally indicate a Custom as you know. The pickups are the normal LP pickups with the covers. Looking at the photo best I could, looks like gold hardware too. it has black speed knobs and a black toggle switch cover with a white switch. Definitely not the LP we are normally used to seeing. I have seen photos with Randy playing a Melody Maker as well and its QR era photos. He has headphones on so id imagine he recorded with that guitar. Sort of a tobacco sunburst with gold knobs. Im sure you knew that but just mentioning that. I do wonder where that LP came from.? Its very close to the photo I attached. Maybe a wink and a non to Mr. Ronson. Very cool guitar!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Here's the pic I was thinking of... definitely NOT his creme Les Paul
Attachments
RR.jpg
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Here's the pic I was thinking of... definitely NOT his creme Les Paul
Ive NEVER seen this pic before
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Very good chance its a 68 Les Paul Custom that he got from some where...

I had the 68 Les Paul Reissue historic serious in Honey/Amber and it looked exactly like the guitar he is playing in that pic. Sadly i had to sell it a few months ago due to financial troubles :(

Here it is before i sold it :(

It came stock with 57 classics in it...and i have had many les pauls in my years of playing this one sounded exactly like Randys tone in After hours when paired with my modded JMP...I mean DEAD ON..

barossadude

Post by barossadude »

Thats 1 SWEET Les Paul Shockwave!!
"Rock n' Roll's universal" - Bon Scott, AC/DC