here is a few places i found replica t tops hope this helps

BARE KNUCKLS
look at riff raff pickup under vintage
https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/p ... humbuckers

GREY WOLF
http://www.wolfetone.com/greywolf.html

MANLIUS GUITAR PICKUPS

http://www.manliusguitar.com/TTop.html

HOPE ALL THESE WEBSITES HELP YOU TO GET THE BEST RANDY RHOADS TONE AND T TOP TONE
IVE ORDERED A FEW OF THESE PICKUPS AND THEY COME THE CLOSEST YOU CAN COME TO A T TOP

TRUST ME THEY GIVE YOU THAT VINTAGE TONE FROM THE 70s and 80s
Stiltzkin

Re: Randys les paul pickups UPDATE

Post by Stiltzkin »

the RIFF RAFF is geared to sound like Angus Young,
and while he indeed used T-tops or PAF like pickups,
no pickup in the world is gonna help if you don't have
the amp to go with it ;)
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

If I am not mistaken the "T" tops on Randy's replica Gibson were made with Alnico III magnets. I have to admit that these pick ups in this guitar sound nothing like what I have played before. I really liked them. I have seen gibson using alnico III magnets on a few other Les Pauls latley. I think it is a good move. As I am sure these are all good pickups. I have never used any of them before. I think it import to flush out what is used on Randy's guitar though.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electri ... onics.aspx
Here is a link that talks about the pick ups.

Oh and the Amp is a big part of the tone. So I agree with the above poster.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

dannyahansen wrote:If I am not mistaken the "T" tops on Randy's replica Gibson were made with Alnico III magnets. I have to admit that these pick ups in this guitar sound nothing like what I have played before. I really liked them. I have seen gibson using alnico III magnets on a few other Les Pauls latley. I think it is a good move. As I am sure these are all good pickups. I have never used any of them before. I think it import to flush out what is used on Randy's guitar though.

yeah, why would they use Alnico 3 instead of Alnico 5 ? Beats me :P
just goes to show that Gibson was very inconsistent even back then.
they used whatever parts they could get cheapest at the time and that's
why you don't have 2 Gibson PAFs sounding the same, cuz' they werent the same ;)
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

Stiltzkin wrote:
dannyahansen wrote:If I am not mistaken the "T" tops on Randy's replica Gibson were made with Alnico III magnets. I have to admit that these pick ups in this guitar sound nothing like what I have played before. I really liked them. I have seen gibson using alnico III magnets on a few other Les Pauls latley. I think it is a good move. As I am sure these are all good pickups. I have never used any of them before. I think it import to flush out what is used on Randy's guitar though.

yeah, why would they use Alnico 3 instead of Alnico 5 ? Beats me :P
just goes to show that Gibson was very inconsistent even back then.
they used whatever parts they could get cheapest at the time and that's
why you don't have 2 Gibson PAFs sounding the same, cuz' they werent the same ;)

there is a trick were you can switch the Alnico 3 for a Alnico 5 and bom but i would recomend it for a more expercenced person thank you
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

randy will never die wrote:there is a trick were you can switch the Alnico 3 for a Alnico 5 and bom but i would recomend it for a more expercenced person thank you
I know about "magnet swapping", but even if someone were to do that, the wind isn't the same either...
you just don't magicall get a new pickup from changing the magnet :!:
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Stiltzkin wrote:
randy will never die wrote:there is a trick were you can switch the Alnico 3 for a Alnico 5 and bom but i would recomend it for a more expercenced person thank you
I know about "magnet swapping", but even if someone were to do that, the wind isn't the same either...
you just don't magicall get a new pickup from changing the magnet :!:
i know but unless you are rich and pay gibbson for a set of randy replica pickups its as close i know how to get randys tone unless u buy replica t top pickups and a good amp
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I don't think I'll ever understand the debate on Randy's exact equipment.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

for what it's worth...T-tops ain't so highly regarded as you might think.
it's more like your average low-to-medium output pickup and not really that fancy.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Stiltzkin wrote:for what it's worth...T-tops ain't so highly regarded as you might think.
it's more like your average low-to-medium output pickup and not really that fancy.

its been buging me why are they so hard to find?
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

because they're old and people like to think old equals better ;)
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Here is the John Stix interview where Randy discusses his guitars.
JS: Let's talk guitars.

RR: I've got a '64 cream Les Paul and a '57 black Les Paul, with three pickups. The Flying V was made by Carl Sandoval. He used to work at Charvel and he went off on his own. He made it for me. It has a DiMarzio Distortion Plus on the treble position and a DiMarzio PAF in the bass pickup. The only one of the three I wasn't playing was the Charvel. That one he made for me after I joined Ozzy. The Charvel has the Seymour Duncan Distortion pickup.

JS: What's the switch on the Charvel?

RR: That's just a toggle-switch for the pickups. The Charvel has a Charvel everything. The Flying V has all Fender parts. The Gibson, everything's stock, but the machine heads are Schaller. I have a Les Paul in the SG shape with gold pickups and a Bigsby tremolo. Charvel just made me three new guitars. One is my own design plus Charvel's, which hopefully might urn out to be one of my main guitars. There's no tremolo on that one. He's making one as an experiment with Floyd Rose. I found this guy in England who sets up tremolo arms. You don’t need Floyd Rose. I just stumbled upon him. It's so close to a Floyd Rose. The tuning is real good on it. If the guitar is set up right in the first place, Doug Chandler can do wonders with it. I was so amazed about how good it stays in tune. He did it to my white Charvel. Tremolo to me is so old now that I'm trying to not get too into it. The first thing a kid does now when he wants to guitar is go get a guitar with a tremelo arm and go back and forth. Used properly, it's great, but I don't want to get it too much into my style. I'd rather tremolo as an addition to what I'm than make noises with it.

JS: What do you look for in a guitar?

RR: Small frets. I can't play the big Every other guitar player I know has big frets. Every time I have a guitar made or buy a guitar, I have really small frets put on, almost acoustic wire.

JS: You like the double-coil sound?

RR: Yeah, but I love the Strat sound. I’m looking for an old Strat now, but live. In a trio, for what I need to hear, it’s not fat enough.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe wrote:

RR: I've got a '64 cream Les Paul and a '57 black Les Paul, with three pickups. The Flying V was made by Carl Sandoval. He used to work at Charvel and he went off on his own. He made it for me. It has a DiMarzio Distortion Plus on the treble position and a DiMarzio PAF in the bass pickup. The only one of the three I wasn't playing was the Charvel. That one he made for me after I joined Ozzy. The Charvel has the Seymour Duncan Distortion pickup.
well, shows you how much he knew about his guitars...8)
the LP has been proven to be a '74 and DiMarzio never made a Distortion Plus pickup :lol:
mauk 1

Post by mauk 1 »

Just on a side note, if I may interject ......... :wink:

Tone is in your hands,, You can have the VERY EXACT GEAR, or even play on Randy's gear,Eddie Van Halens,Or even Slash' and you wont sound like them,, I find it funny that people spend Boo-Koo $$ trying to sound like a certain player....( Mainly Slaush :lol: )
It's nuts if you really think about it... :lol:
Somewhere is a parent that bought every piece of gear Jr. wanted to Play, and sound like Slaush,etc,,etc, and that same parent is wondering why Jr. still sucks at guitar..... :lol:
Im not saying this is the case for the people that have posted in this thread,,,But I do run across it way too much on other forums... And wanted to share a laugh.....
ImageImage
mauk 1

Post by mauk 1 »

Stiltzkin wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:

well, shows you how much he knew about his guitars...8)
the LP has been proven to be a '74 and DiMarzio never made a Distortion Plus pickup :lol:
Randy used a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the PDV...
He also used a MXR Distortion plus pedal,, Im not going to think he didnt know his guitars very well ,,,,,But I can think that whoever that did the interview may not have known the difference between a Super Distortion pickup,, and a Distortion plus pedal, and got the 2 confused ...
ImageImage