!!!!! what randys PDV looks like now !!!!!

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Stiltzkin

Re: !!!!! what randys PDV looks like now !!!!!

Post by Stiltzkin »

xk319 wrote:as said though, they can store things how they want.
yup, and thus, we can all expect the results 8)
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

xk319 wrote:In a recent post that showed Kelly giving a longer tour of Musonia he pulled out the guitar Randy played real early on.....and he pulled it non-cased out of a hutch.....a hutch.....just sitting in an enclosed space in a piece of furniture on a shelf.....yeah, they store things appropriately there....as said though, they can store things how they want.
Yeah and that guitar (Harmony rocket) is the only one the fans who visit musonia get to see. My point being that the idea of keeping the rest of Randy's guitars in their cases locked away in a room or hutch. It isn't the ideal way to keep them stored. OK i'm not saying put them in a vacuum sealed glass case. They should be seen and put in museums and other places for the fans to view. Yeah its the familys choice to do as they please but not a great idea for the life of the guitars. As the pdv has shown to be in such bad condition. OK i'm no expert on the subject but putting a guitar away in its case for years, is it a good idea or not.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

the pdv is a sub par guitar...poorly made,poor quality...from paint to tuning...the paint started crapping out in the 80s...how the f does that happen?poor paint skills...there is nothing that can save the pdv...personally i think its fugly,with that goofy 1950s headstock and dots...all the other guitars are fine.Even the harmony doesnt have peeling paint...
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

oth wrote:the pdv is a sub par guitar...poorly made,poor quality...from paint to tuning...the paint started crapping out in the 80s...how the f does that happen?poor paint skills...there is nothing that can save the pdv...personally i think its fugly,with that goofy 1950s headstock and dots...all the other guitars are fine.Even the harmony doesnt have peeling paint...
say what you want, but it's got character :D

with that said, I'm curious on why Karl decided to build a neck WITHOUTH A TRUSS-ROD ?! :shock:
goes without saying...wood + weather changes = BAD :!:
,,,and the paint... what the hell?
rhoads56
Cool Member

Post by rhoads56 »

Stiltzkin wrote:
oth wrote:the pdv is a sub par guitar...poorly made,poor quality...from paint to tuning...the paint started crapping out in the 80s...how the f does that happen?poor paint skills...there is nothing that can save the pdv...personally i think its fugly,with that goofy 1950s headstock and dots...all the other guitars are fine.Even the harmony doesnt have peeling paint...

with that said, I'm curious on why Karl decided to build a neck WITHOUTH A TRUSS-ROD ?! :shock:
goes without saying...wood + weather changes = BAD :!:
,,,and the paint... what the hell?
He used a second hand Dan Electro neck (basically a cheap guitar, built to a budget), and then glued it to a bolt on style aftermarket body. To get that neck joint smooth, it would have been filled with some sort of body filler, or maybe, pieces of wood carefully crafted to suit. However, the fact that one of the first times Randy played it, the neck strap button stripped out of the wood (or body filler) and the guitar smashed on the ground breaking the headstock (which was a Dan Elctro headstock shape, cut, with pieces added to the sides), says to me it wasnt either installed correctly (its a damn screw...) or it was installed into a section that wasnt strong.

I guess there is a reason Karl worked with the top three guys in LA at the time (Lynch, EVH, Rhoads), who all had a chance to live the dream of a custom made guitar (remember, this is when there were virtually no custom makers), and they all decided to go elsewhere afterwards.

Im absolutely sure Karl's work is excellent now. But back in 1979...
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Stiltzkin wrote:
Exactly! 8)
And remember it was this guitar that made the great sound of the Cleveland and Montreal spotlight solo we all like so much. Haven't heard a crappy guitar sounding like that since then! :P Hence the original SRV strat or Ed's 'Frankenstein' strat, these crappy guitars are icons now just like the pdv!
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

rhoads56 wrote:He used a second hand Dan Electro neck (basically a cheap guitar, built to a budget), and then glued it to a bolt on style aftermarket body. To get that neck joint smooth, it would have been filled with some sort of body filler, or maybe, pieces of wood carefully crafted to suit. However, the fact that one of the first times Randy played it, the neck strap button stripped out of the wood (or body filler) and the guitar smashed on the ground breaking the headstock (which was a Dan Elctro headstock shape, cut, with pieces added to the sides), says to me it wasnt either installed correctly (its a damn screw...) or it was installed into a section that wasnt strong.
about the trussrod...I've seen those Dano-necks before and he probably had to remove the old fretboard before adding
the Bowtie-inlays and with that thing off he had a great opportunity to route/carve a channel for the trussrod, but still, he didn't.
rhoads56 wrote:I guess there is a reason Karl worked with the top three guys in LA at the time (Lynch, EVH, Rhoads), who all had a chance to live the dream of a custom made guitar (remember, this is when there were virtually no custom makers), and they all decided to go elsewhere afterwards.

Im absolutely sure Karl's work is excellent now. But back in 1979...
I guess the main reason is that he left Charvel and was charging next to nothing for building their guitars
which, as stated before, made Randy look elsewhere when it was time for a new guitar 8)
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

Believe it or not karal makes the PDVs from scratch now

You can still order a PDV like Randy's
That's where Karl makes the PDV with a Dane electro neck with trus rod

From what I understand karal makes the v bodies completely from scratch but if you want an v with the same specs as Randy it will cost a little more
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

is "karal" karl's sister? :/
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Tito wrote:is "karal" karl's sister? :/

Sorry every time I type a name my auto correct spells the name I put differently

The autocorrect comes standard with an iPhone
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

randy will never die wrote:The autocorrect comes standard with an iPhone
yes and it can also be shut off ;)
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

thank you stiltzkin..
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Stiltzkin wrote:
It can HOW TELL ME NOWWWWWW

have had this iPhone for a few months now and the auto correct really bugs me
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

randy will never die wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote:
It can HOW TELL ME NOWWWWWW

have had this iPhone for a few months now and the auto correct really bugs me
use your instruction booklet :)
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

isnt there an app for that?hahaha
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120