!!!!! what randys PDV looks like now !!!!!

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Tito
Mass Poster

Re: !!!!! what randys PDV looks like now !!!!!

Post by Tito »

i wouldnt buy it if it was 100 dollars..but thats just me.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

randy will never die wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote:
randy will never die wrote:Wonder if Sandoval will ever ask to measure Randy's and make a true replica version
A relic version would be nice too
with the prices he charges now, who the hell would buy a replica from him ?
The people from china that make $500 replicas

It would only make perfect sense too buy the most accurate replica and copy every inch of it and put a $400 price tag on it

People would buy it and then Sandoval would have to bring down his prices
he hasn't lowered his prices as of yet, so I don't see why he should do it now ;)
given the size of his bussiness, if he sells 1 or 2 guitars every other year, that's probably enough for a "bad" few years ;)

now...it wouldn't take too long to find a luthier who would make you an exact replica for FAR less :)
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

now...it wouldn't take too long to find a luthier who would make you an exact replica for FAR less :)[/quote]

I beg to differ

Any luthier loves to charge a butt load for labor cost

Before I got a cheap replica (crapy quality) PDV from china & 1 from eBay I got a few estimates the lowest estimate I think was $3200 or some thing close to that

MY MAIN POINT IS THAT CHINA REPLICAS ARE CHEAPER THAN AMERICAN LUTHIERS

Even though the Chinese replicas are not the best Quality they don't eat my paycheck and I don't have to save up for 2 years
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

I could get one made for me locally for under $1300, I have been quoted before when I was thinking about getting one a few years ago, so you don't need polka dotted plywood to get a good deal.
kamalayka
Cool Member

Post by kamalayka »

I was never a fan of the polka-dot guitar, to be honest.

Now, the Jacksons are a different story! Those are some awesome guitars!
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

Wow,im not sure of the reasoning behind the condition/aging of the PDV,as from what I understood they were (and had always been) stored very well (temp/moisture controlled),so I had just assumed that mabey it had something to do with an "inferrior" gloss/enamle/clear-coat.= wish there were some pics from the Crazy Train (live) video shoot. That showed the state then (1987) because it seems okay in the video?But then again it was 12 years later when I saw it at the RNR Hall of Fame in 97,and it looked like in the pics above,all cracked and yellowed.I was speechless!I had went there Souly to see Randys guitar and just stood there w/my jaw on the floor choked up for several minutes being a few inches from the very instrument that madethat provided the soundtrack to my whole life.,and painted the walls of my room and millions of copies of albums and magazines..there it was,a thin piece of glass between me me and this "sacred Mythlike object" just imagining Randy stringing it up,tuning it & of course playing it..but on closer inspection,it got "way to real" seeing a big chip missing on the tip of the headstock instantly made this "magic tool of the Gods" come to life and Human. Seeing the battlescars,dings & dents ,like my own guitars.I thought of Kevin saying how the strap fell off and the headstock broke off it when it was very new,you dont really notice the chip in the headstock in pics,but after seeing it I always look for it in pics since then.Another thing that I hadnt noticed until I saw it was its shape,its cut is really thin and strange compared to a Gibson V.But then the finish,it was So,cracked up & peeling (as if the glossy clear-coat was old paint peeling off of a house or the way your skin peels after a bad sunburn) I just couldnt believe it!...If it hadnt been opened since he died,like Ozzy said & the strings were all rusted,how could the finish deteriorate so badly in such a timeframe if it was stored properly?Im no pro in the guitar paint/preservation dept. But after seeing that & seeing 100s of other vintage & much older guitars in the RNRHOF ,none of them were deteriorated in a similar manor,not to. Mention how yellowed the polka-dots were...just made me think? What happened to it?I mean the 2 Jacksons looked great in the 1992 GW poster. (Where they have a different classic guitar every month) you couldnt even see the black duct-tape on the back of the Concord.Why no pic of the ;dv?It is arguably more identifiable?I really am rambling here,but I onder what the story is w/that?I do recall reading that the Rhoads family had the guitar removed/recalled/returned from the Rock hall w/claims of improper handling/storage of the guitar (something like Sun damage) which I could believe by the looks of it,but I just dont see it happening so severly so quickly?And about 10 years later the PDV was again back on display at the Rock Hall.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

randy will never die wrote:now...it wouldn't take too long to find a luthier who would make you an exact replica for FAR less :)

I beg to differ

Any luthier loves to charge a butt load for labor cost

Before I got a cheap replica (crapy quality) PDV from china & 1 from eBay I got a few estimates the lowest estimate I think was $3200 or some thing close to that

MY MAIN POINT IS THAT CHINA REPLICAS ARE CHEAPER THAN AMERICAN LUTHIERS

Even though the Chinese replicas are not the best Quality they don't eat my paycheck and I don't have to save up for 2 years[/quote]

Like you just said, though, the quality was crappy. Personally, I would rather save up and buy a nice replica for a higher amount, as I'm sure it would last longer, look better, and just generally be a nicer guitar than the replica from China, which would not be made by a Luthier with care and attention to detail.

That's just me, though.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

DMRX wrote:Wow,im not sure of the reasoning behind the condition/aging of the PDV,as from what I understood they were (and had always been) stored very well (temp/moisture controlled),so I had just assumed that mabey it had something to do with an "inferrior" gloss/enamle/clear-coat.= wish there were some pics from the Crazy Train (live) video shoot. That showed the state then (1987) because it seems okay in the video?But then again it was 12 years later when I saw it at the RNR Hall of Fame in 97,and it looked like in the pics above,all cracked and yellowed.I was speechless!I had went there Souly to see Randys guitar and just stood there w/my jaw on the floor choked up for several minutes being a few inches from the very instrument that madethat provided the soundtrack to my whole life.,and painted the walls of my room and millions of copies of albums and magazines..there it was,a thin piece of glass between me me and this "sacred Mythlike object" just imagining Randy stringing it up,tuning it & of course playing it..but on closer inspection,it got "way to real" seeing a big chip missing on the tip of the headstock instantly made this "magic tool of the Gods" come to life and Human. Seeing the battlescars,dings & dents ,like my own guitars.I thought of Kevin saying how the strap fell off and the headstock broke off it when it was very new,you dont really notice the chip in the headstock in pics,but after seeing it I always look for it in pics since then.Another thing that I hadnt noticed until I saw it was its shape,its cut is really thin and strange compared to a Gibson V.But then the finish,it was So,cracked up & peeling (as if the glossy clear-coat was old paint peeling off of a house or the way your skin peels after a bad sunburn) I just couldnt believe it!...If it hadnt been opened since he died,like Ozzy said & the strings were all rusted,how could the finish deteriorate so badly in such a timeframe if it was stored properly?Im no pro in the guitar paint/preservation dept. But after seeing that & seeing 100s of other vintage & much older guitars in the RNRHOF ,none of them were deteriorated in a similar manor,not to. Mention how yellowed the polka-dots were...just made me think? What happened to it?I mean the 2 Jacksons looked great in the 1992 GW poster. (Where they have a different classic guitar every month) you couldnt even see the black duct-tape on the back of the Concord.Why no pic of the ;dv?It is arguably more identifiable?I really am rambling here,but I onder what the story is w/that?I do recall reading that the Rhoads family had the guitar removed/recalled/returned from the Rock hall w/claims of improper handling/storage of the guitar (something like Sun damage) which I could believe by the looks of it,but I just dont see it happening so severly so quickly?And about 10 years later the PDV was again back on display at the Rock Hall.
I personally don't think the guitars have been "stored properly". I believe the whole story is a cock and bull tale to appease fans. Frankly, it's not our property, and his family, estate, and whoever else has rights to his guitars will do whatever they want, regardless of what fans think. This includes, of course, storage. It's sad, but I picture these guitars as probably stashed away somewhere, and pulled out every once in a while to make the rounds. It doesn't seem to me the guitars are given much thought, which is totally within the owners' rights.

Personally, seeing them up close would probably be a bit of a letdown for me. I prefer to think of the guitars as I see them in pictures such as the Tribute sleeve, and some of the other famous pictures. They are iconic instruments. It kind of keeps the mystique alive a bit, IMO. In those pics, they are vital, useful, and creating wonderful music, much like their owner was in those halcyon days of making the music we all enjoy so much. Yeah, they're great historical pieces in terms of their importance to metal music, but I don't dwell on what happened to them or where they are. Why?

Just my two cents.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

I should also add the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame seem to be especially inept - losing items, not caring for those lent to them. Didn't they lose some clothing of Lemmy's?
kamalayka
Cool Member

Post by kamalayka »

It would be pretty awesome to play one of his guitars!
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

I agree Canook,thats what = was getting at...the Mystique..was sort of well...um challenged w/the cracks and such,while I consider the belt buckle scratches and dings (like the LP & the Concord-Relic models)to make them seem more Realistic,Randy did that to them thru Constant use but seeing....the paint all cracked and peeling off is just devistating to it.Thats not how it looked when Randy left it.

But I think it was Kelle who mentioned asking for its return due to storage/damage issues? But they did allow it sent back a few years later?I remember him also saying that even he didnt know where they (Randys guitars) were stored,only Mrs.Rhoads did (AT LEAST AT THE TIME),I would guess that they wernt put into weather/temperature controlled storage until later on,just guessing here.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

DMRX wrote:Wow,im not sure of the reasoning behind the condition/aging of the PDV,as from what I understood they were (and had always been) stored very well (temp/moisture controlled),so I had just assumed that mabey it had something to do with an "inferrior" gloss/enamle/clear-coat.= wish there were some pics from the Crazy Train (live) video shoot. That showed the state then (1987) because it seems okay in the video?But then again it was 12 years later when I saw it at the RNR Hall of Fame in 97,and it looked like in the pics above,all cracked and yellowed.I was speechless!I had went there Souly to see Randys guitar and just stood there w/my jaw on the floor choked up for several minutes being a few inches from the very instrument that madethat provided the soundtrack to my whole life.,and painted the walls of my room and millions of copies of albums and magazines..there it was,a thin piece of glass between me me and this "sacred Mythlike object" just imagining Randy stringing it up,tuning it & of course playing it..but on closer inspection,it got "way to real" seeing a big chip missing on the tip of the headstock instantly made this "magic tool of the Gods" come to life and Human. Seeing the battlescars,dings & dents ,like my own guitars.I thought of Kevin saying how the strap fell off and the headstock broke off it when it was very new,you dont really notice the chip in the headstock in pics,but after seeing it I always look for it in pics since then.Another thing that I hadnt noticed until I saw it was its shape,its cut is really thin and strange compared to a Gibson V.But then the finish,it was So,cracked up & peeling (as if the glossy clear-coat was old paint peeling off of a house or the way your skin peels after a bad sunburn) I just couldnt believe it!...If it hadnt been opened since he died,like Ozzy said & the strings were all rusted,how could the finish deteriorate so badly in such a timeframe if it was stored properly?Im no pro in the guitar paint/preservation dept. But after seeing that & seeing 100s of other vintage & much older guitars in the RNRHOF ,none of them were deteriorated in a similar manor,not to. Mention how yellowed the polka-dots were...just made me think? What happened to it?I mean the 2 Jacksons looked great in the 1992 GW poster. (Where they have a different classic guitar every month) you couldnt even see the black duct-tape on the back of the Concord.Why no pic of the ;dv?It is arguably more identifiable?I really am rambling here,but I onder what the story is w/that?I do recall reading that the Rhoads family had the guitar removed/recalled/returned from the Rock hall w/claims of improper handling/storage of the guitar (something like Sun damage) which I could believe by the looks of it,but I just dont see it happening so severly so quickly?And about 10 years later the PDV was again back on display at the Rock Hall.
Dave the damage to the original PDV was due to it being stored away for so long. with the guitar being in a closed guitar case. The same as an old ceramic plate, how the laquer / glaze cracks and crazes which is a common paint defect. Due to age and the sun not being on the guitar. Which would age the guitar, but in this case the idea of keeping them in the wrong conditions and believe me the guitars are not in a temperature controlled vault that is just bolloxs. They are stashed away at Musonia who would pay for them to be stored this long and why. Shit man the phone at musonia was just up graded last month from a rotary dial to a modern touch tone phone. What does that tell you. If it aint broke don't fix it. They have better things to do with money then waste it on storage facilities. For the record the PDV in the Tribute video is not the original RR PDV it was a copy. The Rhoads didn't want to let Ozzy use the guitar in case it got damaged. Yeah Ozzy did see it in the case with rusted strings etc. But it was not the same time this was mentioned during the time Jackson did the guitar / relic photo shoot on the white pin stripe Jackson . Kelle Rhoads tells this story to the fans when they visit Musonia. That's my two cents on the issue and if you think i'm talking bull ask Kelle..
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:I should also add the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame seem to be especially inept - losing items, not caring for those lent to them. Didn't they lose some clothing of Lemmy's?
Yeah Lemmy loaned them a pair of his boots and they just vanished. I seen an interview and he said he'd never let them use any of his gear ever again.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

BowTie29 wrote:I could get one made for me locally for under $1300, I have been quoted before when I was thinking about getting one a few years ago, so you don't need polka dotted plywood to get a good deal.
that sounds about right :) although I suspect you could go under $1000
if you supplied the materials yourself :) the paintjob should be
the easy part and the machinery/routing the more difficult if you
don't know your way around with a chisel, screwdriver and soldering iron ;)
xk319

Post by xk319 »

In a recent post that showed Kelly giving a longer tour of Musonia he pulled out the guitar Randy played real early on.....and he pulled it non-cased out of a hutch.....a hutch.....just sitting in an enclosed space in a piece of furniture on a shelf.....yeah, they store things appropriately there....as said though, they can store things how they want.