Grover Jackson gives away the first GJ2 Concorde guitar

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: Grover Jackson gives away the first GJ2 Concorde guitar

Post by Paul Wolfe »

rice_pudding wrote:I can imagine Randy loving a PRS.

I can see that as well... or something along the lines of the Ernie Ball Axis with a mahogany body.
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

BowTie29 wrote:Yeah, I thought that it was different. For some reason the one he used looked much better then the production line ones. I would actually get the one he played, but I dont like the look of the new ones. Also I hate jumbo frets, but I guess that he did use that shape.

Jumbo fret, its what you need to play mr crowley lead without missing a note !! :0
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

rice_pudding wrote:Not really sure what to think of this guitar. Obviously it's nice to see it made regardless. But without a spec sheet and explanation by GroverJ, it's really just another V guitar.

I'm not an expert on the flying V's Randy got after the concord (there were two ordered no?). But I've often looked at the specs of Jacksons RR line and wondered if it was really what the man himself ordered. Jumbo frets, JB and Jazz pickup, fretboard radius etc never quite made sense to me. I'd love to know if this guitar is closer to what RR wanted.

Moreover, I'd love to see a conceptual design, based on what RR may be playing today. Personally I could see him eventually ditching the V in favour of something closer to an LP or strat shape. Coil splitting? Acoustic pickup? 7 string? Robotic tuning? Who knows. I can imagine Randy loving a PRS.

Rob

DIdnt Randy said in interview that he like big fret?? I'm sure i did read this.. so, Jumbo fret is plausible
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

fortress wrote:Didn't Randy said in interview that he like big fret?? I'm sure i did read this.. so, Jumbo fret is plausible

Quite the opposite in fact. He said he always had small frets put on his guitars because he hated big frets. I'll see if I can find the quote...
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Okay, the John Stix interview is here and the quote is:
JS: What do you look for in a guitar?

RR: Small frets. I can't play the big Every other guitar player I know has big frets. Every time I have a guitar made or buy a guitar, I have really small frets put on, almost acoustic wire.
Oh and by the way there's a pickup discussion in that interview for those who like that subject...
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Okay, the John Stix interview is here and the quote is:
JS: What do you look for in a guitar?

RR: Small frets. I can't play the big Every other guitar player I know has big frets. Every time I have a guitar made or buy a guitar, I have really small frets put on, almost acoustic wire.
Oh and by the way there's a pickup discussion in that interview for those who like that subject...

humm what the hell, my memory said that i read that he liked BIG FRET

damn it !!
scooter1970

Post by scooter1970 »

I own a GJ2 Concorde, beautiful guitar, plays like a dream. I realize this is an old post but thought you might wanna hear the opinions of an owner of one.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

scooter1970 wrote:I own a GJ2 Concorde, beautiful guitar, plays like a dream. I realize this is an old post but thought you might wanna hear the opinions of an owner of one.
Have you played a Jackson RR1?

IF so could you give a synopsis of that guitar vs the GJ2 Concorde? THanks.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

I was thinking of this guitar last week after seeing a couple for sale. Why the hell would he call his brand GJ2? Well...I know why but GROVER has a better ring to it for a brand name.