Rumor: Capitol Theatre, Passaic, New Jersey..Pro Shot

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

dmnjr
Cool Member

Re: Rumour: Capitol Theatre, Passaic, New Jersey..Pro Shot

Post by dmnjr »

...and normalcy returns to the Randy universe.
barossadude

Post by barossadude »

on You-tube there is b/w footage of Joan Jett @ Passaic New Jersey from 1983 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1jpUAH-lYc

is this the same place as the rumored Ozzy & Randy footage?
"Rock n' Roll's universal" - Bon Scott, AC/DC
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

if there is footage of randy and ozz at Passaic New Jersey in black and white i really would not care thats its in black and white the jona footage is relly good
Jazznroll
Madman

Post by Jazznroll »

woudnt it be funny if some of the audio on the ozzy live cd was from this gig?
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

I just re-read that interview with Andrew Klein and suddenly something 'clicked' when I read "New Jersey"...:
Andrew Klein wrote:Ozzy's concert at The Capitol Theatre in Passaic, New Jersey on April 24th 1981 was professionally shot. Every concert in that theatre from 1973-1984 was pro-shot. It was a 3-camera black and white shoot. The entire concert was filmed. I've had numerous conversations with the theatre's owner, John Scher about this. Randy also talked about it in specific detail in one of his letters to Jodi that I've read. He was excited about it and he said the band performed exceptionally well, knowing that they were being filmed. Whether or not the fans will ever get to see it, remains to be seen.
See http://www.rockmusicstar.com/randyrhoadsbook/

I think Dave Tangye was talking about the same show a few years ago already:
Dave Tangye wrote:I know that there was a film recording on the first US Tour, New Jersey or ST Louis show, I am not sure.
Not even sure if it ever was released.
See Dave Tangye Interview Updated 24 May 2009

So we have 'confirmation' from 2 different sources.
I think this gig was indeed filmed, but if the footage is still out there is the big..... :?:
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Gus
Cool Member

Post by Gus »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:I just re-read that interview with Andrew Klein and suddenly something 'clicked' when I read "New Jersey"...:
Andrew Klein wrote:Ozzy's concert at The Capitol Theatre in Passaic, New Jersey on April 24th 1981 was professionally shot. Every concert in that theatre from 1973-1984 was pro-shot. It was a 3-camera black and white shoot. The entire concert was filmed. I've had numerous conversations with the theatre's owner, John Scher about this. Randy also talked about it in specific detail in one of his letters to Jodi that I've read. He was excited about it and he said the band performed exceptionally well, knowing that they were being filmed. Whether or not the fans will ever get to see it, remains to be seen.
See http://www.rockmusicstar.com/randyrhoadsbook/

I think Dave Tangye was talking about the same show a few years ago already:
Dave Tangye wrote:I know that there was a film recording on the first US Tour, New Jersey or ST Louis show, I am not sure.
Not even sure if it ever was released.
See Dave Tangye Interview Updated 24 May 2009

So we have 'confirmation' from 2 different sources.
I think this gig was indeed filmed, but if the footage is still out there is the big..... :?:
Well spotted, Dutchman. I agree, that's probably the one he was referring to. The story we heard a while back is that the footage was originally held by Don Arden but it went missing from his house. It may well exist, but whether we'll ever see it? Those Passaic shows were well-filmed too, usually with a bunch of close-ups of everyone on stage. Even in B&W it'd be impressive.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

my thought is we will see it but probly in 10 years
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

randy will never die wrote:my thought is we will see it but probly in 10 years
Or probably never ... A statement to dwell on over the next 10 years. The old school fans have dwelled long enough.

Pat i seen the connection to New Jersey and what DT was saying in the interview. But like alot of archive footage. How was it stored? did the building have a fire, did the new management clear the basement and bin all those boxes of film ?. . Alot of smoke and no fire. I couldn't see the O's management letting them film a whole concert. Then telling the venue to keep it for their archive. Especially when the band hadn't released a video or any other footage which would of cost a fortune. If they'd handed the film to them to use for free. I could understand that happening and then they decided Ah!! Ozzy sounds shit and its in black & white second rate quality and not good enough. When did Don Arden mention that he had some film and it went missing ?. All food for thought and speculation, but who knows ?.
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

If the Osbournes have it and Ozzy's vocals were bad, they would have fixed that by now and have released it. They obviously haven't so either some copyright thing (here we go again..) is blocking them or they don't have it. I guess they just don't have it.. If the tape is like the others from this theatre, we would have a closeup on Randy's solo's etc which is more valuable than a colour tape with mainly Rudy's playing; so I guess they would have put more effort in getting the b/w tape out there than the one they put out now.

I wonder if the Osbournes have hired someone to seek possible videotapes or did the 30th anniversairy tape owner contacted them? Is there any info on this guy and the date when he handed it over? Did the Osbournes saved the tape for some time or was it more or less a coincidence?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

If anyone has it (i.e. it still exists) it would/will show up on You Tube, get downloaded by hundreds of fans and be widely available with not 'copyright infringement' case to worry about, it's called pirating and is rather common from what I understand.
Astral Plane

Post by Astral Plane »

At the end of the Albuquerque footage after Mr. Crowley on the 30 Years After The Blizzard dvd, it lists the names of the people that did the "tape research" ..would be interesting to know if this was searched for.
I bet it exists, and I still bet there is alot more out there, especially super8 type stuff, possibly with Bob and Lee.
ammalato

Post by ammalato »

randy will never die wrote:i thout they had a fire in capitol theatre i think i heard about that in a diffrent post

if any body ever goes to new jersey or lives there swing by the Capitol Theatre and ask the owner read in the randys book they said they have tons of randy writeing to jodi he told her about being filmed but the said part is it might not be in the book they said that they had more letters than they could use

I live 15 minutes from Passaic. The Capitol is LONG gone.
Life's a stage and we're all in the cast.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

ammalato wrote:The Capitol is LONG gone.
and the plot thickens 8)
randy will never die
Mass Poster

from what i rember i thout they turned the capatil theater into a mall or some thing and they rebuilt it or some thing
i rember reading that when they had the fire they said the the footage room or valt survuved and they got a new owner

sorry about spelling verry tired good night every one :D
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

Post by RhoadsRockPhotographer »

Numerous conversations with the owner, yet offering no clue as to whatever offically became of it, in these same conversations.

Right.