Rudy Sarzo Interview

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Rudy Sarzo Interview

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

GuitarWorld.com wrote:08/02 - Legendary Bassist Rudy Sarzo Interview With GuitarWorld.com

"They gave me my first break, they took a chance on me, a complete unknown, just based on Randy's recommendation. If it wasn't for them we would probably not be having this conversation. I owe my career to Sharon, Ozzy and Randy Rhoads."
- RUDY SARZO -

Blabbermouth.net reports that Amelia Waters of GuitarWorld.com recently conducted an interview with legendary bassist Rudy Sarzo (OZZY OSBOURNE, QUIET RIOT, WHITESNAKE, DIO, ANIMETAL USA). An excerpt from the chat follows:

GuitarWorld.com: You were good friends with Randy Rhoads [late OZZY OSBOURNE/QUIET RIOT guitarist], who died in 1982. Do you still see his influence today — and do you still think about him?

Rudy: "I think about him enough to have to sit down and write a book to answer the No. 1 question I get asked around the world: What was it like to play with Randy Rhoads? He's such an influential musician even today, 30 years after his passing. The way I put it is, in any post-Randy Rhoads guitar player, I always hear some kind of influence in their performance, even in their compositional style. Every time I receive an email or a message on Facebook or whatever, from kids, young guitar players, 10, 14 years old, they say, 'Man, I discovered Randy Rhoads. He's my favorite guitar player.' That really touches me because it's great to hear a new generation giving Randy the credit he deserves for being the well where most guitar players drink from. He has influenced generations and still does. So do I think of Randy every day? Of course I do. We all do. All of us that got to know him and perform with him. We have that common. We'll never lose that bond, that thread, our admiration toward Randy as a musician and as a friend."

GuitarWorld.com: A long time ago, you were feuding with Ozzy and a few other people. Is all that in the past now?

Rudy: "Yes, yes. Silly things happen. If you look at the big picture, you look more at what we have in common than what we have not. At the end of the day, that's what always takes precedence. As a matter of fact, I'll be doing a lot of interviews on behalf of Ozzy and Sharon for the latest release of the 'Speak Of The Devil' DVD. Everything is really wonderful between the Osbournes and me, which is the way it should be. Because if you ask me what the most significant group in my career was, it has to be being a member of the Ozzy Osbourne band. They gave me my first break, they took a chance on me, a complete unknown, just based on Randy's recommendation. If it wasn't for them we would probably not be having this conversation. I owe my career to Sharon, Ozzy and Randy Rhoads."

Read the entire Rudy Sarzo interview at GuitarWorld.com.
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
Alex
Mass Poster

Re: Rudy Sarzo Interview

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

I've never read or heard something bad about Rudy and he does not talk bad about others. I loved his book and I really like reading new interviews. Related to Randy stuff, he has never let the fans down :). By being such a nice person, I looked into other bands he played with and made me discover more things I like.
I think he watches these forums now and then...

Rudy, thanks for everything!!!
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Alex wrote:Got a lot more respect for Rudy reading this tidbit.

Humble.
Rudy Sarzo wrote:Rudy: "Yes, yes. Silly things happen. If you look at the big picture, you look more at what we have in common than what we have not. At the end of the day, that's what always takes precedence. As a matter of fact, I'll be doing a lot of interviews on behalf of Ozzy and Sharon for the latest release of the 'Speak Of The Devil' DVD. Everything is really wonderful between the Osbournes and me, which is the way it should be. Because if you ask me what the most significant group in my career was, it has to be being a member of the Ozzy Osbourne band. They gave me my first break, they took a chance on me, a complete unknown, just based on Randy's recommendation. If it wasn't for them we would probably not be having this conversation. I owe my career to Sharon, Ozzy and Randy Rhoads."

I agree with you. Alex.

The one thing that bothers me is the headline calling him 'legendary'. The only way I'd accept that is if Barney Stinson were saying it.

electricmombie

Post by electricmombie »

Rudy's cool. He once replied to a Facebook note I sent him thanking him for a great read with 'Off The Rails'. It made my week to hear back from him thanking me for the kind words. He's cool in person, too. I met him at two in-store appearances. One, with Quiet Riot for 'Metal Health', and the other, Whitesnake for 'Slip Of The Tongue'. Meeting him in '83 was mindblowing. All I could think of in the back of my mind at the time was, "Holy sheet! I'm actually talking to someone who knew and played with Randy!" He comes off as humble, cool and personable as he does when you see or read his interviews. Rudy, or "Rudes", is one cool cat. Thanks for a nice read with his interview there.
SLAGER
Cool Member

Post by SLAGER »

I loved his book, and admire his kind words about Randy. He really understands the big picture and appreciates things for what they are. not an ego-maniac!
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Not a bad bass player either.
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

his Rudy Sarzo the one Kevin Dubrow was talking about when saying someone want to be the loudest in the band?? (meaning, someone has his amp volume at 12)
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

Rudy certainly may owe his career to having some fine songs to play and bass lines to copy as well, while playing with Ozzy and Randy.....
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

I think he was in Whitesnake longer than his Ozzy tenure, and sold more records there too.

He is a very good bass player. That rhythm section is smoking on the Ozzy box set live disc.
The bass/drum fills during the I Don't Know guitar solo are quite dazzling - IMHO.