Great new interview about the new Randy book

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

alborg
Cool Member

Great new interview about the new Randy book

Post by alborg »

http://www.fmqb.com/article.asp?id=1154 ... ce=message

This is getting even better than I hoped it would be.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Re: Great new interview about the new Randy book

Post by randy will never die »

when i read that i allmost started crying :cry:
Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Post by Silver Rhoads »

alborg, Thank you for posting the link!

There's going to be a good amount from Jodi in the book, as well as many others it seems. Can't wait to get it. Hope it ships soon.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

:) :) :lol: :lol: :) :) is it weird that my moms name is jodi :) :) :lol: :lol: :) :)

but she never new randy

small world
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

good read. its quite frustrating to read "the photo's don took tell the story of the crash.......will never be made public". I am glad know one will see them but it would be nice to have "closure" about it to stop all the speculation that goes on here. He has hinted at a cause I guess which no doubt will start the cycle of blame again :cry:
Gus
Cool Member

Post by Gus »

sytharnia wrote:good read. its quite frustrating to read "the photo's don took tell the story of the crash.......will never be made public". I am glad know one will see them but it would be nice to have "closure" about it to stop all the speculation that goes on here. He has hinted at a cause I guess which no doubt will start the cycle of blame again :cry:
Yeah, it's unfortunate. If it was an accident, unexpected event (eg. heart attack), or a even a prank gone wrong, there wouldn't be much need for this level of secrecy and intrigue. He seems to be hinting that it wasn't a murder/suicide, and yet the alternative explanations like the three above don't fully add up either. As you say..."frustrating."
the crush
Cool Member

Post by the crush »

great read!! he really was the best and will always be my favorite guitar player!!!!!!
check out my guitar playing here
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinsofamadman
check out my custom RR guitar
built by VonLinsowe Custom Guitars Facebook
check out my ozzy tribute band Sins of a Madman on FB or www.sins of a madman.com or on YouTube
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

sytharnia wrote:good read. its quite frustrating to read "the photo's don took tell the story of the crash.......will never be made public". I am glad know one will see them but it would be nice to have "closure" about it to stop all the speculation that goes on here. He has hinted at a cause I guess which no doubt will start the cycle of blame again :cry:
IMO I thought that the accident details in the book were sensationalized a bit- as Paul has mentioned before- it's stupid to say that it wasn't an accident but I/we can't talk about it.

IMO (again) whether it was an accident due to a heart attack, panic, or cocaine use- it's still an accident. I've speculated here also that I tend to think certain events caused the crash and questioned things about it- but at the end of the day, an accident is an accident.

Unless they're trying to allege that it was a government conspiracy- or that Jesus was on the wing in His robe and birkenstocks stuntin'- I doubt that they have anything of substance to offer and if they did, they probably wouldn't substantiate their claim anyway.

I do think it's great that Jodi is finally contributing her memories- how active has Lori Hollen been in Randy's legacy? I don't know much about her other than she headed the QR fan club.

I'm apprehensive about this book actually being released and I don't want to throw money away- so I'm going to wait and see what others have to say about it before buying it myself. I can't imagine what new material can be unearthed 30+ yrs later -- but I hope I'm wrong! All I would like to know is -- "is it worth the money?" and "how much new information is there?" -- I don't want to see scans or anything like that.
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Excellent read with A.J., thanks a bunch for posting, Alborg! 8) 8) 8)
Very much looking forward to the book's arrival! :D

~T
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Can you provide an eye-opening revelation uncovered by your book?
Certainly, that would have to be what we learned about the day he died. Because it had been surmised by some that the pilot committed a murder/suicide, that's what many of the fans have believed all these years. Others believe that the plane was buzzing and the pilot accidentally got too close to the bus. Well, the cause of the crash was neither of those things.
The cause of the crash wasn't an accident from buzzing the bus AND it wasn't a murder/suicide... and only Pete and his crew know the truth... riiiight.

It's funny that the subject that causes the most emotional reaction here is the subject teased in that interview. Pete, et al lurk here to learn how best to market stuff to the largest collection of Randy's fan base.
Don Airey, the band's keyboardist, was taking tons of photographs all morning, which have been studied as well.
This insinuates that they used Don's pictures to help 're-create' the accident... it says "which have been studied." However it doesn't say who studied them. The statement is ambiguous and infers that they figured everything out after seeing Don's pictures but now "they are sealed and will most likely never be made public." I'm more inclined to believe that after 30 years those pictures have been lost or tossed out.

Overall it'll probably be an interesting book. I hope all who buy it enjoy it.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

Well, after debating about whether to buy this book or not because of the hefty price tag, I took the plunge and bought it. There doesn't seem to be a solid shipping date in the order confirmation, either.

As for all the conjecture about the crash, I seriously doubt these guys unearthed anything new or provocative. Perhaps we're wrong and they have, but I doubt it. And as for the implication that Don Airey let ANYONE besides the authorities see those pictures, I doubt that as well. He has stated on numerous occasions that those would not be made public, which to me means NO ONE will see them, as he refuses to show them, understandably. What would make these guys special enough for them to have access to those pictures? And as Paul has mentioned above, there's also a good chance these have been tossed or destroyed.

The stuff from Jodi will probably be interesting, given how well she obviously knew Randy.

Overall, I'm viewing the book this way: a beautifully put together coffee table book with a limited run, celebrating Randy's life. I also don't expect it to be that "deep" (though I hope I am wrong), as they mention it is an "oral history", which to me sounds like "we talked to a bunch of people and most of the book is pictures", which is fine by me. I suspect that I know what I'm getting.

Another piece of food for thought: These sorts of books usually end up being extremely pricey later on, after they have sold out of their run, sometimes even before that, because of their limited nature. It may seem like a lot of money now, but guaranteed, if the book is good, and word spreads, you'll be paying out the keister for it later. There has also not been mention of a second run, reprint, or mass edition, either. All things to think about. I understand the apprehension to buy, as we Randy fans get the shaft all the time, but this may actually be a "Randy collectible" that may be worth the money.

I also think for me, I didn't buy the 30th Anniversary box set, and this is essentially "new material" in some ways, so my money is better spent here. Your mileage may vary.
Last edited by CanuckRhoadsFan on Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

Post by RhoadsRockPhotographer »

Anyone who gives even ONE CENT towards anything involving Andrew Klein (especially) or Peter Margolis - deserves to be ripped-off.

Good luck.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

RhoadsRockPhotographer wrote:Anyone who gives even ONE CENT towards anything involving Andrew Klein (especially) or Peter Margolis - deserves to be ripped-off.

Good luck.
Wow.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

"It has taking years to put together and each page has been designed to rip you off big time".
Yeah bull shit wins prizes and i ain't no cocounut. Lay it on nice and thick and we'll sucker everyone into buying this book. Remember PM has spent his fortune on this failed project docu he has to win back a few crinkle backs and $100 a pop will do nicely. If he'd been a better business man instead of a hustler we may of had a half decent documentary instead of a book. Dave did he not hustle you for your photos he's hustled everyone else...
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

Post by RhoadsRockPhotographer »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:"It has taking years to put together and each page has been designed to rip you off big time".
Yeah bull shit wins prizes and i ain't no cocounut. Lay it on nice and thick and we'll sucker everyone into buying this book. Remember PM has spent his fortune on this failed project docu he has to win back a few crinkle backs and $100 a pop will do nicely. If he'd been a better business man instead of a hustler we may of had a half decent documentary instead of a book. Dave did he not hustle you for your photos he's hustled everyone else...

They tried to.

None of them better appear in anything those clowns do, either.

I didn't "sign off" on jack-shit.