Would anyone be interested?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Glam Keef

Would anyone be interested?

Post by Glam Keef »

Not sure if this is the correct section to post this thread - it can always be shifted by Admin folk later I guess.

Anyway, I have a couple of photos taken in the crowd at the 1981 Heavy Metal Holocaust in Port Vale, England. Whilst none of them feature RR (I was busy rocking out and cheering him on at the time) - they do give a good idea of what it was like to be there on the day. These photos are just personal snapshots which I took with a very basic camera of me, my mates and some stage shots of the other bands from our holding pattern at the back of the crowd. However, they have never been scanned, uploaded or shown anywhere before so they may be of interest to other RR loonies like myself who love to soak all of this stuff up when it becomes available.
Don't get too excited though, as i said before, no RR shots and there is no evidence of a movie camera in any of them - besides, we were too far back in the crowd at the time so no self respecting movie maker would have filmed from there.
I'm also more than happy to answer questions about the day that my pics may invoke - i remember it vividly.

As an aside, I also worked with one of the parachute guys who descended during Motorhead's set.

So, would anyboby be interested?
ncm

Re: Would anyone be interested?

Post by ncm »

Yep :D
baconstealer1

Post by baconstealer1 »

yeah post them bro
Randy died because God wanted Guitar lessons
Glam Keef

Post by Glam Keef »

Ok - I will scan them over the weekend and put them up. Cheers.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

These are a few crowd shots i posted up on a thread on here i don't know if you've seen them. Here they are if you missed them.
Attachments
Ozzy Portvale HMH 1981 -1.jpg
Ozzy Portvale HMH 1981 -2.jpg
Ozzy Portvale HMH 1981 -3.jpg
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Glam was that PA as loud as it looks ? I know Motorhead went into the Guiness book of records for being the loudest band, and they could be heard 5 miles away.
Attachments
Ozzy Portvale stage.jpg
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Motorhead went into the Guinness book of records for being the loudest band, and they could be heard 5 miles away.
A little off topic, but when I was a teen, Ted Nugent played the Hec Ed Pavillion at the University of Washington which is an indoor arena... there were noise complaints more than a mile away... I can't imagine what it must have been like inside!
Glam Keef

Post by Glam Keef »

Glam was that PA as loud as it looks ?
It was my first outdoor festival so at the time I didn't know better. To me it was loud and a very solid sound with plenty of bass. (Probably Lemmy's spec) Although I went to the 2nd Castle Donington Monsters Of Rock festival couple of weeks later and the PA there was comparatively useless - sounded like a transistor radio.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Glam are you posting those pics up ?. I was hoping mine would of giving you some encouragement. :wink:
Glam Keef

Post by Glam Keef »

Yes mate - putting them up today. I enjoyed looking at yours. Brought back memories of the day. Cheers.
Glam Keef

Post by Glam Keef »

This is one of the many 'bottle fights' that erupted during the day. Cans, bottles and anything else that could be thrown were chucked about between sections of the audience. The soccer pitch we were on was covered with large canvas tarpaulins and at one point, about 30 guys crawled underneath one of the tarps, stood up and charged around like a deranged caterpillar as everyone threw cans and bottles of piss at them. Fun times between bands!

This one is me and my mates in the crowd just before RIOT came on. I'm wearing my beloved official "Blizzard" tour shirt which I bought on 9th Oct '80 in Cardiff on the BOO tour. My mate is holding up the Sounds newspaper with the line-up on it.Image
Glam Keef

Post by Glam Keef »

here is one of RIOT on stage. Image

This is one of TRIUMPH on stage - you can see Motorhead's "Bomber" up in the lighting rig. Image

Finally, FRANK MARINO. Image
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Thanks for posting the pics Glam Keef. Memories like this last a life time. Sounds like you had a hell of a good time.
Does anyone know if members of the other bands on the bill (asides from Motorhead) - Vardis, Riot, Triumph & Mahogany Rush have ever talked about their memories of Ozzy & Randy on that day?
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Great pics and memories Glam. Ah! bottle fights all part of the festival fun. I'm sure this gig was a dry house. (No alcohol for sale). That's a good excuse for a bottle fight.
You may have seen this website before... It mentions this gig.
http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/heavy-me ... caust.html