HEY FRIENDS.....

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

TAB
Madman

Re: HEY FRIENDS.....

Post by TAB »

poofters
Last edited by TAB on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

TAB wrote:haha!!, I knew this thread was going to go this way .. people want to bitch about why someone won't upload all their photos and rare stuff for free but yet will wait till someone spends their hard earned money for books and photos then call them obsessed for doing it and try to rationalize that. Yea that's a real fan Lol Shrines.. lol that's a crack up... I am going to go order mine now.. the non obsessed level headed real fans can wait for the scans to talk about and save on their thumb drives.. lol. right click..lol..

Hmmm. Did I miss the post where someone asked to get this for free? For the record, I don't want any of you who choose to buy this to scan anything. I simply refuse to spend $100 in such a way.

"Real Fan"? Not sure what to do with that one. Obsessive? Yeah, there's a LOT of that around here. I've spent my share on RR stuff in the past and I've shared what I could, when I could, so I feel your comments are not aimed at me TAB.

All I ask is that when you all receive your books, could you describe what you feel about it after spending time with it. For example, whether you feel it's worth the price or if you'd seen most of it before. No need to discuss any revelations, I'd just like to know if you felt the purchase was worthwhile once it's in your hands
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

100 bucks is probably reasonable given the size and amount of color photos within.More crucial to the cost is the volume produced.The lower the amount of books printed and sold the higher the cost of making that book.Anyway coffee table books these days are pretty expensive and 100$ aint much if there are a lot of full page pics.College text books are way crazy and they are high volume items.This is a small time operation so the costs are probably crazy high.
Seems like a much better deal than the dvd boxset by far.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
SLAGER
Cool Member

Post by SLAGER »

yeah no one wants it for free. Maybe TAB you might actually read the thread first (just a friendly suggestion - you can pay me $99 later for the input).

I'm an immense fan of Randy's and probably wont buy this book. It is a lot of money and I doubt that theres much in there that we dont already know, and I doubt there are any new photos we havent already seen 99 times before. I really truly hope that I'm dead wrong, but will want to see it before I throw away good hard earned cash for the same tired info.

Also, I think the earlier point someone made that the "average Joe" wont spend that kinda cash is a valid marketing issue. If people wont pay for it then its not worth that much. This is alll\ conjecture cuz I havent seen it yet, but I cant remember every paying $99 for any book.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

chilinvilin wrote:So is all that audio in the youtube vid going to be avail with the book purchase? If not then screw the book...
This is my question as well......it is way more appealing being able to hear randy answering questions as apposed to reading his reply.

That video really sums up what we are missing out on with the doco not being released.......another huge F up for randys legacy
Glam Keef

Post by Glam Keef »

I'd be interested to know more about Peter Margolis' involvement.
Pricing is and odd thing. For example, if you produce and publish a book that is likely to sell millions, it is reasonably cheap to produce, ship and market in the overall scheme of things. However, if you are going to only produce a few thousand books - and let's be honest, us RR freaks represent a 'limited' marketing opportunity - it will obviously cost more. I think the logic is the same for the RR movie or similar ventures....the return on investment just isn't there. Sad but true.
Oh...I'll be buying it! Of course!
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Of course this will be worth it...it's something for the rest of us. The gear-heads got the Marshall, the Paul, the Relic, and even the PDV.
Pointing out the obvious, the book is large in both size and content, and it's geared toward Randy. I would guess some key parts of interviews are transcribed here, along with some knockout photos. I would think it would be tough for this book to suck.
In the end, this was produced for the fans, IMO. The way I see it, something was delivered to the public that will further document Randy's life.
The Ozzy box was what it was, I'm happy the recordings are corrected, the book was a welcome keepsake and I've finally got the best quality After Hours available...it was something for all fans to enjoy, which is a rare occurance in this particular corner of fandom, so I'm grateful.
Ditto for the Dakota book. If the film never becomes available to the public, those of us who wish to get this book will most likely be pleased and I know I'll thank Peter when I reach the back cover.
Thank you kindly for the heads-up! 8)

~T.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Donnie wrote:and it seems for you there's a fine between being a fan and not being a fan and u kind of lean towards the latter? :)
hmm, tough one. I enjoy listening to Randys music, more than once...maybe that's not enough? I guess I'm disqualiied then :(
Donnie
Cool Member

Post by Donnie »

Stiltzkin wrote:
Donnie wrote:and it seems for you there's a fine line between being a fan and not being a fan and u kind of lean towards the latter? :)
hmm, tough one. I enjoy listening to Randys music, more than once...maybe that's not enough? I guess I'm disqualiied then :(
No actually I think thats totally cool and i respect you for your honesty but i dont think its cool to not respect others just because you dont agree with what they think.
1756 Mozart~1956 Rhoads~2156 ??????
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Donnie wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote:
Donnie wrote:and it seems for you there's a fine line between being a fan and not being a fan and u kind of lean towards the latter? :)
No actually I think thats totally cool and i respect you for your honesty but i dont think its cool to not respect others just because you dont agree with what they think.
I never said I didn't respect anyone :!:
I simply pointed out that some people borders on obsession,
but I don't have a problem with it nor do I put them
down for it :!:
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

oth wrote:100 bucks is probably reasonable given the size and amount of color photos within.More crucial to the cost is the volume produced.The lower the amount of books printed and sold the higher the cost of making that book.Anyway coffee table books these days are pretty expensive and 100$ aint much if there are a lot of full page pics.College text books are way crazy and they are high volume items.This is a small time operation so the costs are probably crazy high.
Seems like a much better deal than the dvd boxset by far.
Exactly. I really wonder if this book sells more than say 1000 copies?
I maybe gonna buy it, not sure yet, wait for some reviews first. I think most of Randy is already told and known. I know Pete Mertons (Randy's tech) was interviewed for the doc, is he in the book as well? I'm not gonna buy this book for a couple of new Randy pics. It's time for MORE FOOTAGE! :twisted:

( Hey Stilz, nice Avatar! 8) )
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
alborg
Cool Member

Post by alborg »

OK. Before this gets into any more heated discussion about if the book is worth it or not... I emailed Guitar World about the two book deal they had advertised in the April 2012 issue (This book along with the Quiet Riot years book for $150) & their reply was that they will not be selling this book & have advised me to order direct through the publisher... Don't know what happened & I would of preferred to order both books at once to save on the shipping costs to Australia but with this new info I will be ordering the book now.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

A book was always going to be expensive, publishing costs are high on a small run. I know from an old teacher who put out a book years ago. $100 is still probably too much, then again it will be a limited edition item. And Dakota want to recoup some of the money they burned through on their doc.

I take it the documentary is fully f'd now? Can't say I'm totally surprised, It seemed to get led astray from an early stage. And probably succumbed to all the bullshit I hate about working in media. :evil:

As for me I won't be buying the book. That's simply $100 dollars I don't have. I would have loved to buy the Blizzard box set, but couldn't stretch to afford it. I won't be getting this either. :|

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

Just checked what this book would cost with shipping to where I live. $160. Yep, that's right - $160. For that price, this book had better be AMAZING.
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

Silver Rhoads wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:You've got to be kidding me! $99 for a book? Who gives a crap how many pages it is, that's simply a rip off. Not a chance in hell I'd pay that.
:lol:

A ton of people bought the Kisstory book. I have forgotten how much it was. What was it? I know it was at least $100.00 or more and people loved it. So, why wouldn't this book be worth it Paul?

KISSTORY was signed by the original 4 members. I believe it was around $150.
Live Life Stronger Than Death