randys les paul pickups

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

randy will never die
Mass Poster

randys les paul pickups

Post by randy will never die »

just wornding if any body can tell me how to bulid theis pickups or tell me were i can buy theys pickups i know there super 74 humberkers

the reasson i am asking is because i am building a replica of randys all by hand and the ony thing that is holding me up is the pickups i am just about done just need paint and pickups

any infromation would be usefull execpt ebay thanks
baconstealer1

Re: randys les paul pickups

Post by baconstealer1 »

Found this on Gibson's website, hope it helps
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electri ... onics.aspx
Randy died because God wanted Guitar lessons
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Don't know if Gibson was drunk when they wrote that, but the Super 74 is NOTHING like
the original T-tops that Randys Les Paul actually had ;)
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Marketing!
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

hansolo wrote:Marketing!
Exactly!
The pickup gurus at Seymour Duncan says that the Gibson 490R is an exact replica of the T-tops Randy had, but with an Alnico 2 magnet instead of the Alnico 5 that Gibson
used back in the day ;)
camdenlp
Cool Member

Post by camdenlp »

Does anybody have photos of the underside of the'Super 74' pups?
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

camdenlp wrote:Does anybody have photos of the underside of the'Super 74' pups?
I haven't seen any yet :( or any reviews at all to be honest.
but with that said, looking at Gibsons specs, they probaby used
whatever parts happened to be at hand that day :lol:
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

hey RWND, how's your build going? should be done by now if all that's left was paint and pickups?
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

You have posted a thread before that is this exactly. You were asking about TTop replicas and did quite a bit of research already and got some suggestions and as we know the LP was stock which meant it had the TTops just pick one of the pickups from that thread
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Most of the sound comes from the fingers. Get a decent guitar, pickup, amp and rest will follow. Randy's main guitar was the '74 Les Paul bu he managed to keep the Polka dot V (Danelectro neck) in tune, for the most part, while hammering out the most beautiful tones.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

hansolo wrote:Most of the sound comes from the fingers. Get a decent guitar, pickup, amp and rest will follow. Randy's main guitar was the '74 Les Paul bu he managed to keep the Polka dot V (Danelectro neck) in tune, for the most part, while hammering out the most beautiful tones.
if Randy was play a strat or a tele, I can assure you he wouldn't sound nearly the same as he did with a LP or a V,
hence, the tone is in your fingers argument goes out the window 8)
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Randy would sound like Randy regardless of the guitar he played, the 'tone' wouldn't be exactly the same, but the style and sound would be.

The way a guitarist sounds comes from the choice of scales he/she uses, the choice of chord forms and types, the way his/her fingers strike the strings, the way he/she picks... I've got a Strat and a V (single coil versus humbucker) and I sound like "me" on either one.

RWND, have you posted any of your playing online? You seem to be VERY hung up on Randy's equipment, but how are you at playing his style? You can (and should in my opinion) become adept at playing Randy's licks in all keys on any guitar before you start worrying about having exact duplicates of his equipment.

By the way, RWND, check out this video for info on what you need for the fingerboard of your guitar:

BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

Randy will sound like Randy on any guitar however his tone will change. To me tone is when you hit a basic chord and let it ring. What you are using at the time will have a different tone. If Randy hit an Em with a Mesa and then a Fender amp, the tone would be different. However if he were to play a blues jam on each it would sound like him. I think your sound comes from the fingers but the tone comes from the gear.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

BowTie29 wrote:I think your sound comes from the fingers but the tone comes from the gear.
I'd say your tone is a combination of gear and the way you play. If Ed played on Randy's rig it wouldn't sound like the same tone because of the way Ed attacks the strings and vice versa... just my opinion, though.
camdenlp
Cool Member

Post by camdenlp »

All the lies over and over...what's the point?