Randy to quit playing rock music

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

jep1210

Randy to quit playing rock music

Post by jep1210 »

Sorry if this is a beat to death topic but I didn't see a thread related to it, but admittedly I didn't search for it either. I read Ozzy's book, I Am Ozzy, and there was a chapter where Ozzy claimed Randy confided in him that he wanted to quit playing rock music and become a full time classical guitar player. After I read that it seemed to jog my memory about hearing/reading that somewhere else. I guess the conspiracy theorists could have a field day with that tid bit.

Just wondered what the thoughts about this are.

John
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Re: Randy to quit playing rock music

Post by whoopiecat »

As we've been led to believe, it seems that Randy became disenchanted with, as well as grew tired of, the rock and roll scene.
On one end there was the ugly side of the business itself, and the way Don, David and Sharon Arden handled things, obviously Randy had to have seen for himself, as we've heard from more than one member of Ozzy's group recalling Randy inquiring about the legal repercussions of getting out of his contract and the like.
On the other, there was the nightmare circus the show itself had become, the religious protests outside, people bringing animals to the shows, wanna-be satanists, being banned from cities, having to postpone or outright cancel shows either due to poor ticket sales or Ozzy's physical and /or mental health. Ozzy was really acheiving monumental alcohol and drug consumption at this point.
I think Randy had reached the point of realizing how much he was putting into rock and roll and how little he was getting back. Not in the monetary sense, but from a musical standpoint. He helped Ozzy get back to the stadium stage, but Ozzy was destroying himself, and it seemed everyone's hard work was in vain.
I believe Randy did enjoy collaborating with Bob Daisley, Lee Kerslake, Lindsey Bridgewater and Don Airey, and I do think he would have gotten back into the rock scene, but it would have been after his studies and certainly on his own terms.
Randy worked hard in a local band of childhood friends who made two albums that their friends and families couldn't even buy stateside. Then he worked hard helping resurrect the career of a burned out former superstar, who wound up reverting back to the same addictions that ousted him from his prior gig.
If you ever have the chance, there was a documentary filmed by a fan from Japan for the 20th anniversary of Randy's passing, made exclusively for Japanese TV. In it, Delores relates to us how Randy was having her seriously look into the music courses being offered at the nearby universities for him and she recalls some of the last time they had spent together he played his acoustic and she with her flute, along the lines of chamber music.
Of course everyone knows of Randy seeking out classical guitar lessons in nearly every city the tour brought him.
The Japanese doc shows up on youtube regularly. The narration and subtitles are in Japanese, obviously, but it's well worth your time.
The Dakota doc seemed as though it was to cover this subject as well, but it's hard to say if we will see that now.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
Vtrockgod

Post by Vtrockgod »

I think the previous post was on the mark but with one additonal item. I'm sure playing literally almost the same set list for such an extended period of time (the only difference between the "Blizzard" and "Diary" tours was "Over the Mountain") had to be limiting for a musician such as Rhoads. In my opinion, RR's playing took a huge leap forward from the QR releases to his work with Ozzy, and multiple people have stated that he was improving daily. Hiring classical guitar tutors on the road was only a stop-gap measure. From all indications, he wanted to continue to broaden his ability and he probably felt the need to immerse himself in studies. Considering the environment he was in at the time, he may have felt he wasn't getting the most out of his talent. Once back in school, I can picture him doing session work, which would have provided compensation and keeping his name out there without the touring to intefere with his schoolwork. But I don't think he would have completely forsaken rock music and I think he would have done some incredible things mixing rock/metal/classical down the road.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

The Blizzard UK '80 featured You looking at me, looking at you but didn't feature Believer or Flying high again (not written yet) but point taken about the Diary tour. 3 songs? It's a shame. I could also see how Randy would want to get off that crazy train. Ozzy plowing through the set all plowed. You think he would of enjoyed the shows, playing with Randy. Somebody should have told him to take care of his voice!
telemaster

Post by telemaster »

In the November 1982 Guitar Player magazine, Kelle talks about Randy seeing things on the road that conflicted with his upbringing. If I remember correctly he said something like "people like my brother shouldn't get involved with Rock and Roll, they are much higher people". I think Randy was raised in a fairly religious environment and going from that to the circus that is Ozzy had to be tough. It seems quite a contrast that on the road Ozzy would seek out the road crew to party, Tommy Aldridge had a woman in every town but Randy would head to his room with a guitar to practice, even with his level of ability.

I've also read quotes where Randy said that he thought he was more in shape musically before the Ozzy gig. He referred to the amount of time that he had been teaching versus the limited set list and time that he had on the road with Ozzy.

Then there was the thorn-in-the-side of the Black Sabbath legacy...RR was to have played on the "Speak Of The Devil" disc and it was no secret that he didn't want any part of it but had committed to it as a way of fulfilling his contractual obligations.

By all accounts he was a much more diverse player than the headbanging, leather-clad RR that we know. He studied classical guitar and wanted to further that, he listened to jazz in his off time, he wanted to hook up with photographer John Stix to explore the NY studio scene. What if? Would we all be in awe of his classical skills, his jazz chops or the number of studio sessions he had done?
Axian
Cool Member

Post by Axian »

I think with the introduction of MTV randy would have returned to rock n roll easily in the late 80's plus obviously would have took his incorporation of classical elements further from his studies. Plus Randy was a brilliant musician and would know how to change a piece of music different than any other mainstream musician has and this is why I loved randy the most, his phrasing was different ( and still is ) from anyone I have ever heard making him a true musician.
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

the other thought would be the money rolling in... he may of hated doing it towards the end.. but if the money was good..
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

In those days, Ozzy suffered tremendously from bad drunken voice syndrome. He never warmed up and by '81 his performances were iffy. The band was always good. I'd love to hear Des Moines, Iowa '82, were Ozzy bites the bat and the band continues on while Ozzy goes to the hospital!
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

As Randy grew older and his music and playing developed further (like it already had from Quiet Riot to Ozzy) and considering his musically curious nature, I don't think he would have been satisfied with the riffs and guitar solos mentality rock offered him. Yes rock/metal can be 'out there' (ie Frank Zappa for example) but there is only a certain area you can move within with pop/metal/rock etc. With classical (and some jazz too), there really are no boundaries. Not to mention the leap from playing the single line mind set of electric guitar, to the exciting polyphony of classical guitar!

For a mind like his, that was very diverse and wanted to always move on, rock would be a prison to him in my view. I am sure being so versatile he would surprise us all with various cameos on albums and other stuff, but to think for example that he would travel this far and then go back to where he had moved so dramatically away from, seems not to make sense to me. I agree with Kelly Rhoads about his brother saying he was on a higher level.

Randy was way more than the spandex and permed hair decade he is often associated.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

ps Jep great to meet you...

yes, It has been discussed a lot; but it is fun always sharing amongst fellow Randy fans what we would have loved to have heard had he lived longer.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
The_Scratch

Post by The_Scratch »

whoopiecat wrote:As we've been led to believe, it seems that Randy became disenchanted with, as well as grew tired of, the rock and roll scene.
On one end there was the ugly side of the business itself, and the way Don, David and Sharon Arden handled things, obviously Randy had to have seen for himself, as we've heard from more than one member of Ozzy's group recalling Randy inquiring about the legal repercussions of getting out of his contract and the like.
On the other, there was the nightmare circus the show itself had become, the religious protests outside, people bringing animals to the shows, wanna-be satanists, being banned from cities, having to postpone or outright cancel shows either due to poor ticket sales or Ozzy's physical and /or mental health. Ozzy was really acheiving monumental alcohol and drug consumption at this point.
I think Randy had reached the point of realizing how much he was putting into rock and roll and how little he was getting back. Not in the monetary sense, but from a musical standpoint. He helped Ozzy get back to the stadium stage, but Ozzy was destroying himself, and it seemed everyone's hard work was in vain.
I believe Randy did enjoy collaborating with Bob Daisley, Lee Kerslake, Lindsey Bridgewater and Don Airey, and I do think he would have gotten back into the rock scene, but it would have been after his studies and certainly on his own terms.
Randy worked hard in a local band of childhood friends who made two albums that their friends and families couldn't even buy stateside. Then he worked hard helping resurrect the career of a burned out former superstar, who wound up reverting back to the same addictions that ousted him from his prior gig.
If you ever have the chance, there was a documentary filmed by a fan from Japan for the 20th anniversary of Randy's passing, made exclusively for Japanese TV. In it, Delores relates to us how Randy was having her seriously look into the music courses being offered at the nearby universities for him and she recalls some of the last time they had spent together he played his acoustic and she with her flute, along the lines of chamber music.
Of course everyone knows of Randy seeking out classical guitar lessons in nearly every city the tour brought him.
The Japanese doc shows up on youtube regularly. The narration and subtitles are in Japanese, obviously, but it's well worth your time.
The Dakota doc seemed as though it was to cover this subject as well, but it's hard to say if we will see that now.
This is dead on the money. ALmost identical what I would have said.
Good post.

The only thing I would add is my own personal perspectiv based on the things I have read.
Randy would definately have left Ozzy and the whole rock scene for quite some time.
I do believe Kelle Rhoads when he says Randy would have stuck around to write one more album with Ozzy. I think Randy would see that as an opportunity to take what he had already layed down to a new level. I have read from several sources that the title "Bark At The Moon" was already decided upon while Randy was in the band and that a decision was made that they should get away from the doom and gloom of witches and Satanic crap and have a more "Horror themed" concept.
I was at a drum clinic in the early 90's for Tommy Aldridge and he spoke extensively about Randy and Ozzy.
He gushed over Randy... you could hear it in his voice. He even paused briefly when talking about him to clear his throat. It was very emotional.
Someone had asked the question "Did Jake E Lee write the song Bark at the Moon, or did Randy"... Tommy said that the idea of Bark existed prior to Randy's death but nothing was written.
The one thing I remember the most (I had a lump in my throat after he said it) was "Randy was the most extraordinary musician I have ever worked with.... theres not a day I don't think of him.... I really miss him".

I also believe that if Randy was aware of recordings being made for a live album (which became tribute) he would have stuck around to add his 5 cents at least and possibly pushed to add a couple more Diary songs to the set.
I could see Randy with Ozzy for at least one more album, possibly a tour (50/50 on that one) and by 1984 going off on his own.

Randy would have returned to school (we know this) and possibly collaborated in songwriting for Ozzy in the future, but I don't think he would have rejoined him. Not until there was a 25 year anniversary reunion.
Randy was a loyal person and as much as he thought Ozzy was a flake, they were friends and enjoyed each others comapny. That is the single most important factor for band chemistry over the long run... if you can't stand your co-workers it will never last.

He would have been Ozzy's best man at his wedding (extra funny cause he slept with the bride also) and I think there would have been a personal acoustic, classical piece he would have played for them at the ceremony.
Cause Randy was that type of guy.

As for where Randy would have gone?
I love to fantasise about that.
I know he had a love for the keyboard driven sounds of the early 80's like Styx, Asia, Journey etc. and would have possibly gotten involved in something like that. He was fascinated with those sounds.

I imagine a possible late 80's collaboration with a heavy metal act along the lines of Whitesnake as well. Not saying he would have, but Sarzo and Aldridge joined David Coverdale in Whitesnake so there would have been a familiar appeal there and it's well known how Coverdale hired virtually every top-tier talent available at some point. I would almost gaurantee an offer would have been made to Randy... I mean really, Coverdale would have been a fool not too. I doubt it would have lasted long though.

His talent and expertise would have made him the greatest gun for hire in the session world. His collaborations would have been extansive in virtually every musical genre... and why? Because he had a hunger for music and just wanted to play, write, compose and learn.

I envision a collaboration with Leslie West, because the two were friends and both lovd each others playing.

But it's Joe Satriani that I look to the most to understand where Randy's musical career would have gone.
Satriani re-invented the Guitar Solo album and really became the high water mark of shred.
There is no way in hell Randy would have NOT jumped on this... or possibly become the innovator himself.
We would have Randy solo albums I am sure of it.
Hard rock... pop flavour... acoustic, classical compositions of extraordinary breath and imagination.
Randy would have become a Guitar God of the highest level.

He would have won Grammy's and be inducted into the rock'n'roll hall of fame (something that will happen eventually anyways, I think)

I truly believe that Randy was destined to become a household name and regarded as one of the best ever.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

telemaster wrote:In the November 1982 Guitar Player magazine, Kelle talks about Randy seeing things on the road that conflicted with his upbringing. If I remember correctly he said something like "people like my brother shouldn't get involved with Rock and Roll, they are much higher people". I think Randy was raised in a fairly religious environment and going from that to the circus that is Ozzy had to be tough. It seems quite a contrast that on the road Ozzy would seek out the road crew to party, Tommy Aldridge had a woman in every town but Randy would head to his room with a guitar to practice, even with his level of ability.

I've also read quotes where Randy said that he thought he was more in shape musically before the Ozzy gig. He referred to the amount of time that he had been teaching versus the limited set list and time that he had on the road with Ozzy.

Then there was the thorn-in-the-side of the Black Sabbath legacy...RR was to have played on the "Speak Of The Devil" disc and it was no secret that he didn't want any part of it but had committed to it as a way of fulfilling his contractual obligations.

By all accounts he was a much more diverse player than the headbanging, leather-clad RR that we know. He studied classical guitar and wanted to further that, he listened to jazz in his off time, he wanted to hook up with photographer John Stix to explore the NY studio scene. What if? Would we all be in awe of his classical skills, his jazz chops or the number of studio sessions he had done?
I thought "Speak Of The Devil" came out because Randy was gone, a permanent guitarist hadn't really been decided on, no writing had taken place but the record company was demanding another album.............from what I've heard Randy, Ozzy and Bob had already made plans, but they were not to be.
The_Scratch

Post by The_Scratch »

Yes, Speak of the Devil was simply made so Ozzy could deliver a live album and finish the contract with Arden.
The contract stipulated a Live album and shows were being recorded with Randy, but he died before it ever came to be.
I have an interview somewhere in a guitar magazine where Randy even mentions them recording shows.