What would Randy have thought of Satch?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

What would Randy have thought of Satch?

Post by Paul Wolfe »

So, I was reading Joe Satriani's Guitar Secrets (Guitar World) and wondered what Randy would have thought of Joe, who also started as a teacher before becoming an Icon?
Attachments
satch lesson.JPG
distortionplus
Cool Member

Re: What would Randy have thought of Satch?

Post by distortionplus »

Satch is one of my all time favorites. I like his music overall more than Vai's work. I have not heard of Joe teaching beginners like Randy did. I guess he did at some point, but have only heard of his teaching of advanced players. I think that like Joe, Randy would have eventually made instrumental music. That seems to be a logical direction for virtuoso players. I've yet to be blown away by Satch's guitar work with CF although I have never listened to every song. Maybe he just does not function well in a band situation unlike Randy who's solo's made the songs classics. I'm sure Randy would have liked Joe's music, and recognized his talent.
kamalayka
Cool Member

Post by kamalayka »

I am not really aware of Joe Satriani's music, so I listened to some of it on Youtube. I think Randy would have liked him. (I don't see why he wouldn't.)
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

maybe he would've studies with Joe? That mans grasp
on musical knowledge is VAST :twisted:
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I always thought Satch and Randy had similarities both being teachers,musically educated,ect. I think Randy would've liked satch.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:maybe he would've studies with Joe? That mans grasp
on musical knowledge is VAST :twisted:
I can see that... can you imagine being in the room with both of them talking music?
distortionplus wrote:I have not heard of Joe teaching beginners like Randy did. I guess he did at some point, but have only heard of his teaching of advanced players.
Danny Gill, who teaches through Lick Library, was a student of Joe's... I believe he's said he was about 13 at the time.
classicalmetal

Post by classicalmetal »

I was wondering if Danny Gill may have studied with Joe. His book from MI, titled lead Performance I believe, is jam packed full with Satchesque type playing. I did notice a few Randy licks in there also! Great book by the way!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

classicalmetal wrote:I was wondering if Danny Gill may have studied with Joe. His book from MI, titled lead Performance I believe, is jam packed full with Satchesque type playing. I did notice a few Randy licks in there also! Great book by the way!
I got that book and was amazed at how much info he packed into the book. Then years later I got into his Lick Library stuff... he's a very gifted player who knows his stuff.
The_Scratch

Post by The_Scratch »

Thought of...?

I think of it more as what would the G3 concert series have been like with Satriani, RHOADS and Vai!!!!

Mutual respect and idolization by all for all.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

That would have been cool!
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

I'm sure Randy would have integrated some of Satch's technique into his repertoire, and considering they both have a certain dedication to teaching, I'm sure a coming together of two musical minds could have been likely at some point. Guitar clinic with Satch and/or Rhoads? Sounds like something within the realm of possibility!

Session work and some kind of guest spot on G3, perhaps playing alongside Satch also sounds relaistic.

Assuming RR wanted out of mainstream, it could eventually be the quality of instrumental music that would pull him back into a musical career. Satch, Vai, Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop, not to mention Malmsteen's mental debut. All of these and more could have inspired Rhoads to take a firm step back into the life of a recording musician.

P.S. Does anyone have any Troy Stetina books? I could imagine RR launching his own series!

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

rice_pudding wrote:Does anyone have any Troy Stetina books? I could imagine RR launching his own series!

Rob
I can see that... would have been cool. If only... :(