The Footage of Day on the Green DOES exist. . .

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Re: The Footage of Day on the Green DOES exist. . .

Post by rice_pudding »

Stiltzkin wrote:
randy will never die wrote:sencie it does exist who might own the footage

thank god you know if day on the green was filmed that means we will have near HD film after somebody goes in and restores the film when it comes out i will watch it over and over and over till i have to buy a new dvd
Who says Ozzy was taped? We're talking Metallica with Cliff :twisted:
Unfortunately +1 :lol:

As for the quality, it certainly wont be near HD quality. The only DOTG footage I have seen, looks unashamedly like analogue video. Interlacing and shitty 4:1:0 NTSC colour space. It could have originated from 16mm, but then why would the the highlights (especially when camera catches a lamp) burn out so bad? Film would hold the highlights much better, even reversal stock.

Plus from a cost point of view why would anyone shoot film, and have to edit it together when (to my knowledge) there was apparently no financial incentive?

Rob

Edit: After looking a little more, there is lynyrd skynyrd footage from 77' that definitely looks like 16mm. Evidence of grain, as well as dust particles on the gate, and generally the colours/contrast etc. look like 16mm. The ac/dc stuff from 79' has moire/aliasing issues, which could only originate from the sensor of a video camera.
www.rstorey.co.uk
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Stumbed on this: Interview with Dan Larsen - Photographer from The Day On The Green, 1981/07/04
Maybe someone can ask him about filming DOTG '81 ?
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
rokket wrote:The "Journey" set was filmed, so who's to say the whole lot wasn't......why have all those crew and not take advantage of filming the lot....
Journey played there in 1980 and 1982. ( (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_on_the_Green#1980 )
So far I haven't seen any footage from bands who played on DOTG '81. :?

Donnie: I spoke the same guy I guess (his name was Doug) and he swears he saw footage from this DOTG show at MTV. He saw Ozzy and Randy in background while tourdates were scrolling. The footage was from distance and he could see Randy playing the polka-V. He only saw it once. If true then I wonder if they maybe did film it from soundboard area....?

See: Day on the Green Possible Camera Angle

People (like RRP, Phil Anderson) who took photo's that day, all say they didn't see anyone filming. We can verify that by checking the photos, there are no cams anywhere to see. So if it was filmed it must have been from bigger distance so people closer to the stage never noticed it. In a big stadium there are plenty of spots to do that. The 'mystery' continues!
Yep, I got thrown off track by typing in Journey 1981 Day On The Green in youtube and it threw a video clip up......ok ...well....It'd be worth asking Eric Martin (Mr.Big) if he remembers that day being filmed.....his band played same day as Ozzy.....band was called "415" back then.
mikesline
Cool Member

Post by mikesline »

Thanx Donnie,That's What I Heard From Tom. Still No Solid Proof Total Mystery !
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

poofters
Last edited by TAB on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
baconstealer1

Post by baconstealer1 »

TAB wrote:I spoke to Daniel Larson about that a couple times before. He said Graham did not film every years shows back then. He was set up in the media area for the photographers and he did not see any film cameras at the show. That's the gist of it, but who knows there could have been a camera further away in the back? After the Port Vale footage anything is possible I think.
True, I think there's a lot of fan shot footage out there that's just sitting around collecting dust
Randy died because God wanted Guitar lessons
chilinvilin
Cool Member

Post by chilinvilin »

More Rudy footage i bet...