The curse of Randy Rhoads strikes again?...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

alborg
Cool Member

The curse of Randy Rhoads strikes again?...

Post by alborg »

Just received this email from Guitar World regarding the two books we're waiting for...

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we are unsure if and when the two Randy Rhoads books will be printed. If the books do become available in the Guitar World Online Store, we will notify you via email.

-Guitar World

-----

Crystal Hudson

Consumer Marketing Director

(p) 212-378-0417

(f) 888-430-7532

The documentary, Southampton from Ozzy's Box set, Bobs book & holy grail tapes, the brothers footage & now these two books!!! The list goes on & on... Everything Randy related that us fans look forward to always becomes a damn drama & disappointment. Why can't his estate be run in a respectable manner just like Hendrix?
This latest drama really pisses me off as everything looked set & ready to go... Although, after 30 years of it I shouldn't of been surprised. :cry:
Stiltzkin

Re: The curse of Randy Rhoads strikes again?...

Post by Stiltzkin »

alborg wrote: Why can't his estate be run in a respectable manner just like Hendrix?
I've asked myself this many times and it all boils down to who's running his estate.
But as soon as you start to question their methods in any way, those people 'close'
to the family pounds you down with the hammer of doom...

With all that said, I guess it's more appropriate to have Randys name
on products that has absolutely nothing to do with his musicianship, a
big part of him! Wanna release a book about him and his music?

Forget about it...
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

bob saget man why does this stuff keep happing bet my life that if randy was still with us he would have this stuff out already
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

Stiltzkin wrote:
I've asked myself this many times and it all boils down to who's running his estate.
But as soon as you start to question their methods in any way, those people 'close'
could it be that things aren't always as they appear? could it possibly be that contracts haven't been met and material from one project stolen to be used in another? if everything was above board and honestly presented, i assure you, the lawyers wouldn't be involved.

frank.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

frank wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote:
could it be that things aren't always as they appear? could it possibly be that contracts haven't been met and material from one project stolen to be used in another? if everything was above board and honestly presented, i assure you, the lawyers wouldn't be involved.

frank.
Frank it sounds like you have more info, can you spill the beans. As i heard a whisper about a book and it did sound very ??????.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

no shaun, i can't. i don't mean to tease, either. let your imagination kick in. toss in some tasty adjectives...greed...treachery...betrayal...

i don't like cloak and dagger, but i don't like the family being unfairly vilified either.

my loyalties to the rhoads family are based on the fact randy loved his mom above anyone else. that's good enough for my wife and i.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

Stiltzkin wrote:
alborg wrote: Why can't his estate be run in a respectable manner just like Hendrix?

Forget about it...

Hendrix estate was handled in an exploitative manner.
Rhoads estate,just the opposite-thankfully.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
alborg
Cool Member

Post by alborg »

oth wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote:

Forget about it...

Doesn't the Hendrix family control his estate now? I believe there have been some nice releases in the last few years that they have authorized. That's all I would like released from the Randy estate. An authorized documentary & book. Some anthology recordings in a box set & maybe some official merchandise so that the younger generation can continue to have some nice items to buy & remember him by. I wouldn't think that is too much to ask or offensive in any way? All of these things things have been mentioned over the years but somehow greed & underhanded dealings always get involved & we as fans just sit here getting older & living in hope...
mikesline
Cool Member

Post by mikesline »

you know not every thing released about randy,is not through the estate of rhoads (dee)
i remember showing her this music book and she borrowed it to show her lawyer.
if it says official then it's from estate,personally there is very little there for her to put out there
i remember garni,telling me how hard it was to get her to release the Quiet riot(randy years) cd
as for books i would rather see it go thru estate that way you know it's the truth.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

oth wrote:
Yeah? ...and how much Hendrix stuff do we have? ;)
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

I remember when nothing but crap came out from the hendrix empire but i dont think the family had proper control over the estate yet.I dont know how many new compilations and greatist hits stuff you can repackage.I havent heard any 'new ' hendrix that compares with the albums he made while alive.

I dont think theres anything else with RR thats better than the ozzy stuff.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

what a bummer....but if the stuff on the DVD of QR was the stuff kevin had stolen off him then I think it shouldn't be released
oth wrote: I dont think theres anything else with RR thats better than the ozzy stuff.
agree
quinnsryche

Post by quinnsryche »

I don't understand how Guitar World advertises the books for sale (with a price - a discount if you buy both) in the mag and on the website, shows pictures of them and even reports what they will contain and they hadn't even been PRINTED yet? That seems very strange to me.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

"Hendrix estate was handled in an exploitative manner.
Rhoads estate,just the opposite-thankfully."

The Hendrix family released bootlegs, re-masters and boxsets. Before, Jimi had contracts with this guy or that guy who put out some horrible stuff like "The Roots of Hendrix" which contained no Jimi Hendrix Music. I gotta say the Rhoads' family hasn't done much for Randy compared to what Randy did for the Rhoads' family. If you think putting your dead brother on a bottle of wine and charging $70 a bottle ISN'T EXPLOITATIVE THEN I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS. Maybe Jimi Hendrix ice cream? Seriously, the Experience Hendrix (family) people are putting out recordings of Jimi playing. Name one, just one recording the family put out? They ok'ed the RR years. They are going to be waiting around if they think a pro-recorded lesson will show up. I kinda think they don't really care. They all are overshadowed by their little brother or son. Imagine getting hit with Randy questions every day for 30 years by fans that love him and not them. The fans are probably like, "Who cares about your album Kelly?" "When is something new of Randy playing coming out?" It will eventually come out on the UNAUTHORIZED BIOGRAPHY with music in the style of RR. Maybe we'll get a new Ozzy documentary of him trying to work a remote on some extravagant unneeded luxury and it will decapitate him...
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

randy will never die wrote:bob saget man why does this stuff keep happing bet my life that if randy was still with us he would have this stuff out already
If Randy was still with us, there wouldn't be a cult following and most members here would probably not even know who he was.
frank wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote:..as soon as you start to question their methods in any way, those people 'close' to the family pounds you down with the hammer of doom...

frank.
Frank, unfortunately this 'Internet generation' believes they are entitled to every bit of information possible. They feel that if there is any behind-the-scenes issue, they deserve to be told about it.

I agree with you, if Randy's family says, "No," then the answer should be NO.
sytharnia wrote:what a bummer....but if the stuff on the DVD of QR was the stuff Kevin had stolen off him then I think it shouldn't be released
Here is the video stolen from Kevin, it's been available for years....
hansolo wrote:I gotta say the Rhoads' family hasn't done much for Randy compared to what Randy did for the Rhoads' family. If you think putting your dead brother on a bottle of wine and charging $70 a bottle ISN'T EXPLOITATIVE THEN I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS.

Oh please, enough with bitching about the wine. Ask yourself this, how much does a quality bottle of wine cost without an image of Randy Rhoads on it? The answer is: about the same as a bottle with the image on it. If Randy's sister had been a photographer and put out a book of photographs of her brother, you would all drool over it. Instead, it's a bottle of wine that means nothing to most of you, so it's 'exploitative'.

As for Hendrix, their are hundreds of things with Hendrix's image on them that have nothing to do with music. What it boils down to is Randy's "fans" feel they deserve everything they want and will whine and cry until they get what they want. There isn't any 'music' to release as there was with Hendrix. Randy didn't build his own studio and spend hours recording his ideas there.

So what if these books got the axe? When you all start appreciating what you have been given and quit whining, this community will be a better place. When and if these books are published, consider it a pleasant surprise and not, "it's about time".

When the majority of members here start discussing music and guitar playing you'll be honoring Randy's memory. When you start posting about Randy's use of sus 4 chords and arpeggios and how to apply such things into your own playing, then you'll be honoring his legacy. As long as the posts are bitching about pictures and documentaries, you people sound like spoiled little kids demanding that you be given everything without earning anything.