Randy Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen Question.

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: Randy Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen Question.

Post by Paul Wolfe »

oth wrote:I know one thing,Ed rides circles around vai and satriani as far as memorable technical playing and music goes :)
I'd agree... Ed always said the song was important... Vai and Satch are massively talented technically, but Ed's hooks and songs are much better.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Van Halen and his older brother Alex learned to play the piano as children.[1] The brothers were shuttled from Pasadena to San Pedro to study with an elderly man who taught them classical piano. Eddie and Alex hated the commute but continued as their mother would discipline them if they refused to go. Eddie revealed in an interview that he never could read the music. He learned from watching and listening. So during recitals of Bach or Mozart, he would simply wing it. Afterward, the judges would comment that he had an interesting interpretation of the classical piece. Eddie thought, "What? I thought I was playing it correctly!" However, playing the piano did not prove to be challenging or interesting to him — he once said in an interview.[3] Consequently, while Alex began playing the guitar, Eddie bought a drum kit and began practicing. He would practice for hours day after day. So far this is what I found. But I have read more than once that Ed himself has said that he can't read music or fingerpick that well. Once again I think he's a killer guitar player he's one of the reasons why I will see van halen for a second time this tour. I've been a fan since the first album came out. He doesn't have the theory knowledge of a Vai, Satch or Fhoads though.
Last edited by Geo Sav on Wed May 02, 2012 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I've read that, too.

Now, interestingly, I just read an interview from 1978 in a new Guitar World publication. In the interview Ed says he's only been playing 8 - 10 years which would mean he started around 1968... Randy started playing guitar at age 6 which would have been 1962 or 6 years prior to Ed picking up the guitar.

Image Image Image
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

That is interesting. Could that be a typo? Love that pic on bottom is that in the
magazine?
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

Ed is born in 55.They came over to the usa in 62?And he started guitar at 8 or 10?Imsure he was playing 12yrs or more when VH1 came out.Anyway ed is loose with facts and memory and whatever else.I couldnt care less about all his flaky-ness,i am moved and amazed by his playing.

Im not into the shredders per se.Jams dont interest me much.I need structure like a song with a purpose and point-and vocals.Its an endless debate.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

According to the article, the Van Halens moved to Pasadena when Ed was 10 and he didn't get the guitar until he was doing a paper route (yeah, yeah, he bought drums and traded them with Alex 'cause Alex was better at drums), and even in the mid-60's, I doubt a 10-year-old newly arrived to the States would be delivering newspapers... could be wrong though, there's a first time for everything :D
kamalayka
Cool Member

Post by kamalayka »

The guy who conducted Eddie's first official interview is named Jas Orbecht. He has his own website where he posted the complete interview a while ago. Here's the link:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... Fg&cad=rja

Quote:

Jas: When did you first start playing?

Eddie: Um, let me see. I’ve been playing about eight to ten years. Me and Al both were born in Holland. My father used to be a professional musician there.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Yes, and that interview was in 1978 which would mean Ed started playing guitar between '68 & '70... and Randy started in '62.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Yes, and that interview was in 1978 which would mean Ed started playing guitar between '68 & '70... and Randy started in '62.
does that mean Ed progressed faster? ;)
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:Yes, and that interview was in 1978 which would mean Ed started playing guitar between '68 & '70... and Randy started in '62.
does that mean Ed progressed faster? ;)
I would say Randy was probably better in 1978 than we know. He was playing to the style of music his band was playing as opposed to just letting it rip, I believe.

Who knows, though, maybe Ed did progress faster? Eruption is still the measuring stick in my opinion.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Still to this day a great guitar tune. The whose better than who thing is all opinion bullcrap. They both were awesome.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

Paul Wolfe wrote:According to the article, the Van Halens moved to Pasadena when Ed was 10 and he didn't get the guitar until he was doing a paper route (yeah, yeah, he bought drums and traded them with Alex 'cause Alex was better at drums), and even in the mid-60's, I doubt a 10-year-old newly arrived to the States would be delivering newspapers... could be wrong though, there's a first time for everything :D
This article says he came over when he was 7:http://www.esquire.com/features/music/e ... ofile-0512

I dont think ed started guitar later than 10.

Somebody posted the RR solo from quiet riot and it seems pretty unremarkable.A few bits of scales,pull-offs and terrible echo or delay or whatever.I certainly would never imagine that what was on ozzy came from the dude with QR.The change is huge.EVH on the other hand was going off in the clubs.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
The_Scratch

Post by The_Scratch »

distortionplus wrote:Going a bit off the main topic here, but why did EVH never do a solo instrumental album I wonder? The pretty much universally acknowledged greastest living guitar innovator/player of the day never puts out a record showcasing his talent.

I started to comment eariler in this thread that EVH seemed to be the type that might do two or three off the cuff solos then pick the best. (Many of EVH solos didn't seem to fit the song well to my ear. Lacking a direction.) Where as RR thought of the whole song as a composition, making sure all the dots connected perfectly.
This has been one of my biggest arguments against Eddie for years.
No solo album... tells me theres something amiss there. Go down a list of the top 25 greatest guitarists in history (subjective of course) and they all released at least one album.
I think he's sh*t-f*cking terrified that everyone will realize how good he ISN'T.

I have always thought that Eddie was a one-trick pony with a good ear for composition and decent songwriting skills, and that's about it. He has ridden the same pony-trick for 35 yrs... and still can't go beyond it.
No innovation.
Eddie brags that everyone copies him yet it's apparent that Eddie copies himself more than anyone else. To be honest theres 100 guys out there doing it better than he ever did.
People have been playing circles around him for 25 yrs.
I personally feel the majority of his solos are awful... directionless, noise and flash. Considering how many times I have heard him fail to reproduce his own solo work live, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest that he's always been less than he appears.

I have always listened to and enjoyed Van Halens albums, but never been taken with Eddie the way so many were in the 80's.
I know perspective may come across as harsh... critical, but it's my honest opinion.

Eddie = meh (shoulder shrug)
Randy = HOLY SH*T, what was that (Jaw open - eyes wide)
Last edited by The_Scratch on Wed May 16, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

The_Scratch wrote:No solo album... I think he's sh*t-f*cking terrified that everyone will realize how good he ISN'T.

Eddie = meh (shoulder shrug)
Randy = HOLY SH*T, what was that (Jaw open - eyes wide)
Granted, this is a Randy site, so kudos on praising Randy.

As for Ed, methinks you are of the younger generation? Ed redefined rock guitar in 1978. There are exactly two guitar players who redefined rock guitar - Jimi and Eddie. One trick pony? Eruption blew everyone's mind when it came out. Nobody could play what he did in 1978. He changed the way the guitar was played and the way it was built as well.

In 2012, Ed is every bit as good as he was then. He has a feel that others lack. Sure others can play faster, but with much less feeling. There is a reason why guys like Zakk, Dime, Slash and even Satch praise Ed so highly.

By the way, when Jimi picked up the Strat, Fender was considering dropping the model from their line. The Strat is Iconic, but it wouldn't be without Jimi. Not to mention, without Jimi the guitar would still be a rhythm instrument in rock.

Oh, and lastly, Ed has been doing solo albums from day one! Ed is Van Halen - he writes all the songs, so wouldn't an EVH solo album sound like... Van Halen?

Hey Scratch... this is my opinion on the subject, you are welcome to yours as well... it's good to have you here.
The_Scratch

Post by The_Scratch »

Actually I am 41... LOL... still feel 21 though, but I'm glad I grew up in the era of neo-classical shred and not the grungey soup of the early 90's.

I am always harsh of Eddie.
Can't help it... the guys playing just never excited me and he bothered me.
There are some amazing songs, but few guitar connections for me. The entire band is what did it for me... the rythm section is awesome.

Now I will say that Van Halen I is an iconic hard rock/ heavy metal album, but I just don't feel Eddie took what he started with that essential guitar album to the next level.

I think it may actually be less that I think Eddie is over-rated (he isn't, he's one of the most important in the instruments history) and more that I just felt personally disapointed that I could never get my socks blown off by him.
I didn't hear it.

But if I had to drive full throttle down a highway at 200 Kmh (Canada here)... Panama is the first song I slap in the stereo!!!