Randy Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen Question.

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

oth
Mass Poster

Re: Randy Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen Question.

Post by oth »

I think there s progression in every album after vh 1.And i think they are all better than the debut album.There are masterpieces on each successive album:Spanish fly,romeo delight,meanstreet,little guitars,drop dead legs...just to name a few.

I watched some rusty cooley shred vid yesterday and i cant remember or hum any of it today.Sweep arpeggios @800mph.He makes yngwe sound like blink182.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

Paul Wolfe wrote: Granted, this is a Randy site, so kudos on praising Randy.

As for Ed, methinks you are of the younger generation? Ed redefined rock guitar in 1978. There are exactly two guitar players who redefined rock guitar - Jimi and Eddie. One trick pony? Eruption blew everyone's mind when it came out. Nobody could play what he did in 1978. He changed the way the guitar was played and the way it was built as well.

In 2012, Ed is every bit as good as he was then. He has a feel that others lack. Sure others can play faster, but with much less feeling. There is a reason why guys like Zakk, Dime, Slash and even Satch praise Ed so highly.

By the way, when Jimi picked up the Strat, Fender was considering dropping the model from their line. The Strat is Iconic, but it wouldn't be without Jimi. Not to mention, without Jimi the guitar would still be a rhythm instrument in rock.

Oh, and lastly, Ed has been doing solo albums from day one! Ed is Van Halen - he writes all the songs, so wouldn't an EVH solo album sound like... Van Halen?

Hey Scratch... this is my opinion on the subject, you are welcome to yours as well... it's good to have you here.

Great post!!
Live Life Stronger Than Death
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

The problem is WE ALL have opinions and should ALL respect Each Others opinions. Don't just respect your own. 8)
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

Geo Sav wrote:The problem is WE ALL have opinions and should ALL respect Each Others opinions. Don't just respect your own. 8)
Another great post... we are on a roll!! :D
Live Life Stronger Than Death
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

The_Scratch wrote:
distortionplus wrote:Going a bit off the main topic here, but why did EVH never do a solo instrumental album I wonder? The pretty much universally acknowledged greastest living guitar innovator/player of the day never puts out a record showcasing his talent.

I started to comment eariler in this thread that EVH seemed to be the type that might do two or three off the cuff solos then pick the best. (Many of EVH solos didn't seem to fit the song well to my ear. Lacking a direction.) Where as RR thought of the whole song as a composition, making sure all the dots connected perfectly.
This has been one of my biggest arguments against Eddie for years.
No solo album... tells me theres something amiss there. Go down a list of the top 25 greatest guitarists in history (subjective of course) and they all released at least one album.
I think he's sh*t-f*cking terrified that everyone will realize how good he ISN'T.

I have always thought that Eddie was a one-trick pony with a good ear for composition and decent songwriting skills, and that's about it. He has ridden the same pony-trick for 35 yrs... and still can't go beyond it.
No innovation.
Eddie brags that everyone copies him yet it's apparent that Eddie copies himself more than anyone else. To be honest theres 100 guys out there doing it better than he ever did.
People have been playing circles around him for 25 yrs.
I personally feel the majority of his solos are awful... directionless, noise and flash. Considering how many times I have heard him fail to reproduce his own solo work live, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest that he's always been less than he appears.

I have always listened to and enjoyed Van Halens albums, but never been taken with Eddie the way so many were in the 80's.
I know perspective may come across as harsh... critical, but it's my honest opinion.

Eddie = meh (shoulder shrug)
Randy = HOLY SH*T, what was that (Jaw open - eyes wide)

THANK YOU! I'm not of the "younger generation"- and while I've been a RR/(formerly)Ozzy fan well before many RR fans were born- I've never understood what it was that drives people to worship EVH subjectively, like there is NO OTHER that compares to him, etc.

And right on with the solo album observation- it brought to mind immediately that even Gilmour stepped out on Floyd during huge commercial success, to release solo material... and he's a proficient multi-instrumentalist, certainly not a "one trick pony".

While I can enjoy a few VH tunes here and there, I've never been bowled over by anything that Ed did. I just don't enjoy VH.
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

RRFan4Ever wrote:
The_Scratch wrote:

THANK YOU! I'm not of the "younger generation"- and while I've been a RR/(formerly)Ozzy fan well before many RR fans were born- I've never understood what it was that drives people to worship EVH subjectively, like there is NO OTHER that compares to him, etc.

And right on with the solo album observation- it brought to mind immediately that even Gilmour stepped out on Floyd during huge commercial success, to release solo material... and he's a proficient multi-instrumentalist, certainly not a "one trick pony".

While I can enjoy a few VH tunes here and there, I've never been bowled over by anything that Ed did. I just don't enjoy VH.
Lets face,solo albums suck.Thats why david gilmour or evh wont leave their bands.Ed has put out solo stuff and it sucked imo.Ditto for gilmour.

Ed has many more tricks than dg.

EVH is a guitar pioneer, gilmour....not.

I like DG but...
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

David gilmours about Face solo album is really good.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

For the record, the solo in Another Brick in the Wall (part 2) is my favorite solo of all time.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

Paul Wolfe wrote:For the record, the solo in Another Brick in the Wall (part 2) is my favorite solo of all time.
Mine is either Hey You or Comfortably Numb. Gilmour speaks through his instrument very well- at least I feel that. And he always seemed to compliment whatever Floyd did, but I'm a huge Gilmour fan so I'm biased, I'll totally admit it- but we all are;)

I cannot dispute the importance of EVH, I've just never been that into him personally.
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
kamalayka
Cool Member

Post by kamalayka »

He said in numerous interviews over the years that he feels no need to record a solo album. According to him, he has enough creative control over the music in Van Halen to not feel the need to branch out, that every album he makes is already like a solo album.

And when I listen to songs like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... bvE6IC38go

I don't think he'd have a hard time creating a cool solo album. (Eddie also plays piano and cello, so it'd be interesting, I think.)
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Gilmour has so many great solos. Time, Mother,Young lust. I can keep going on and on.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

dark side is one of the best lps ever...
c numb is an incredible solo-one of the best i think,ever.
dg has feel and tone in spades.
Vtrockgod

Post by Vtrockgod »

I've NEVER thought of VH as a solo type endeavor. It's a totally different band depending on whether DLR or Sammy is in the lineup.
msr1545

Post by msr1545 »

Personally I think they're guitar playing was very different from each other and in a way Randy made things sound easier than they really were.

Randy was essentially backing Ozzy, whom he just met and didn't really know which I see as a different kind of musical challenge. To come up with guitar riffs and parts that seasoned musicians you don't know love is a different kind of pressure and amazing that he did it. And he did it in about 1.5 years and Blizzard and Diary were recorded about only 4 months apart which is amazing.

Wheras Van Halen was a bunch of friends playing in a basement together. Having fun goofing off etc...a different kind of musical situation to be in.

Song and guitar playing wise Crazy Train, Flying High Again, You Can't Kill Rock and Roll and Over the Mountain will be on the radio for years to come as major rock classics.

Van Halen songs will be You Really Got Me( a cover), Dancing in the Streets(a cover), Beat It(w Michael Jackson), Panama and Jump. Meaning - part of the legacy is the durability of the songs and the guitar playing together...

Randy is great and will always be remembered.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

msr1545 wrote:Personally I think they're guitar playing was very different from each other and in a way Randy made things sound easier than they really were.

Randy was essentially backing Ozzy, whom he just met and didn't really know which I see as a different kind of musical challenge. To come up with guitar riffs and parts that seasoned musicians you don't know love is a different kind of pressure and amazing that he did it. And he did it in about 1.5 years and Blizzard and Diary were recorded about only 4 months apart which is amazing.

Wheras Van Halen was a bunch of friends playing in a basement together. Having fun goofing off etc...a different kind of musical situation to be in.

Song and guitar playing wise Crazy Train, Flying High Again, You Can't Kill Rock and Roll and Over the Mountain will be on the radio for years to come as major rock classics.

Van Halen songs will be You Really Got Me( a cover), Dancing in the Streets(a cover), Beat It(w Michael Jackson), Panama and Jump. Meaning - part of the legacy is the durability of the songs and the guitar playing together...

Randy is great and will always be remembered.
When Randy joined Ozzy he joined a band situation. BOO and DOAM were recorded almost a year apart (so many people get that wrong) and it took 4 people to create that music, but yeah I agree that part of the legacy is the durability of the songs, and Randy was and is great, and will always be remembered.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley