Randy Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen Question.

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

stress2stress2
Cool Member

Re: Randy Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen Question.

Post by stress2stress2 »

Nice new Ed interview:

https://vimeo.com/119532429
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

stress2stress2 wrote:Nice new Ed interview:

https://vimeo.com/119532429
When I click the link it tells me "Permission Denied" and that there's no video.

Does he speak about Randy in it?
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

They quickly took down the video..audio can be found at the VH news desk...
rdg

Post by rdg »

Ed's back on the shit again:

"Wait till you hear his [sonny boy Wolfgang] record. It just started, [it'll be released]
probably end of the year. This is not pop talkin', this is real talk: It blew my mind."

Anyone wanna bet that Diamond Dave is on Wolfgangs "solo" album? Ed is so influential that he cannot find a record label that will release an album that does not have Roth or Hagar on it.

"Hello record label, Wolfgang has got a killer hard rock...<click>....hello? hello?"
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

While Ed may not have anything to prove anymore - he's done some great stuff, and I can admit that, and I'm not a fan - I just don't think he has anything relevant to say musically anymore. He's the Lion in Winter, figuratively speaking, and he's just resting on his laurels and past accolades, which he's certainly earned.

That being said, I don't see him tearing up the music world with anything new or particularly exciting. Ed will fade away into retirement eventually, in my opinion, and not really have anything, as has been the case for a few years now, to say that's profound, guitar-wise. He's earned that, but it seems to me that someone who's still passionate about their craft would want to keep upping their game. I get the feeling Ed does not care to up his game or prove anything to anyone. Who knows - maybe he has something left in the tank? Will we ever see it or hear it? I doubt it.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Well what Eddie achieved in his younger days was him at his peak late 70's early 80's. They did it all, had amazing albums out and toured the world. So how can you up your game when you have done it to the max.
Nick
Cool Member

Post by Nick »

You guys do know that van halen is making another record right
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

They are releasing a live album recorded in Japan next month, then hopefully another new album...
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Well what Eddie achieved in his younger days was him at his peak late 70's early 80's. They did it all, had amazing albums out and toured the world. So how can you up your game when you have done it to the max.
I disagree. Why not try to challenge yourself and do something new and exciting? Ironic that you're a fan of of Randy, who was all about upping his game, but you don't see why other artists should do that very thing.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

devorerd wrote:They are releasing a live album recorded in Japan next month, then hopefully another new album...
...and hopefully Ed will challenge himself to show some of the talent that made him such a groundbreaker.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Well for me that was the period when the band had hit the jackpot. The band became a pop band years later and the fresh new sound of the early albums was taking over by Dave L Roth's gimmicky circus showman ship. Which later became him doing his solo act. Why would i need to see a change in something i thought at the time was amazing. They never could better it, and never have in my ears and eyes.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Well for me that was the period when the band had hit the jackpot. The band became a pop band years later and the fresh new sound of the early albums was taking over by Dave L Roth's gimmicky circus showman ship. Which later became him doing his solo act. Why would i need to see a change in something i thought at the time was amazing. They never could better it, and never have in my ears and eyes.
Fair enough. Although as an artist I don't know why he would want to quit trying.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:I disagree. Why not try to challenge yourself and do something new and exciting?
VH 3 (the Gary Charone disc) was Ed doing things differently. That was the first record with EVH that I couldn't tell it was Ed playing. He sounded unique on that record and it sold for shit. So they went back to the same ol' same ol' with A Different Kind of Truth which was all old demos from the 70's.

I'd love to hear Ed challenge himself, but could Dave keep up?
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

I think the fact they are getting old (like all of us), the fact they have reached the top of the mountain already (un like any of us), the fact they have lots of money (un like any of us...well me anyway)....it all makes you lose the edge/hunger you had when you were young and cocky

simple question for the guitar players here that have been playing for 15+ yrs .... do you still have the drive/excitement yo had when you first started learning or are you in a place where you are happy with the level you are at or have excepted that this is as "good" as you will ever be and thats cool???

another one ..... do you have recording capabilities at your home??? how often do you get in there and record stuff???.......

I have a very basic home studio that while it doesn't sound pro it does sound good enough to post on line, I write songs on a kind of regular basis (but only when they fall from the sky, can't sit down and "come up with something")...but I struggle for the motivation to sit down and record them. Just don't have the drive any more (well truth is I have never really had the drive to "make it")

I see no reason why it would be any different for a pro muso ...... just my 2c
rdg

Post by rdg »

You don't just find distinctive singers like Robert Plant, David Lee Roth, Bono, Ozzy, Henley, Cobain, Stevie Nicks...etc through auditions.

Do you really believe that there aren't guitarists with the same skill set and drive as Randy Rhoads, Ed Van Halen, and Jimmy Page?

Now somebody could say David Gilmour, James Hetfield, etc are marginal singers....but I disagree. They have model looks, and their singing is underrated. Gilmour certainly had a distinctive voice.

I don't care how good Rhoads, EVH, and JP were...they stumbled across their success by good luck of encountering Ozzy, DLR, and Robert Plant.

Eddie did the singing originally before they lucked upon DLR. Nobody can tell me Van Halen would have had chart success with Eddie singing.

Ozzy is an old man and he still has the worlds leading guitarists begging him for a job.