Randy Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen Question.

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: Randy Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen Question.

Post by Paul Wolfe »

oth wrote:I think i would enjoy listening to evh soloing to nothing but a beat would be as interesting as joe satriani and vai and all the other shredders.
I agree... and that Starfleet Project has some great playing by Ed... Here is BluesBreakers for those who've not heard it by Ed and Brian.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

oth wrote:I think i would enjoy listening to evh soloing to nothing but a beat would be as interesting as joe satriani and vai and all the other shredders.
I don't know how much you've heard, but both Vai and Watch
are pretty adept at accompanying themselves while playing lead ;)
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Too bad we didn't get to see what else Randy would have done. I think if he put a solo album out it would have been fulled with such different types of guitar music like classical,jazz,rock ect.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Geo Sav wrote:Too bad we didn't get to see what else Randy would have done. I think if he put a solo album out it would have been fulled with such different types of guitar music like classical,jazz,rock ect.
it's possible that album would've been obscure...
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

I had Starfleet on cassette when it first came out. It's a jam type setting not composed stuff. Best I remember all bluesy stuff nothing very flashy at all. It's good stuff though. Ed of course put nice little instrumentals on VH albums, but a serious instrumental album would have been nice. I never fancied his playing as much after hearing Randy. I'm sure if he heard BOO or DOAM he had to think Randy had become a serious talent.
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

anyone notice a similarity in the intro of diary and girl gone bad a bit?
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

I totally agree. I noticed that too. I have been working on a song that uses the Diary opening chord, you know, as a head turner and I was like that's girl gone bad too! I wonder if Ed checked them Ozzy albums out...
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Okay, so I found an interview with Michael Anthony where he mentions Randy...

Guitar World: Were Quiet Riot around when you were playing clubs?

Michael Anthony: Yeah, in fact they opened up a show with us at Pasadena College once. That's the only time they ever played with us. That's when Randy Rhoads was in the band. I don't know if Kevin DuBrow was in the band back then. I don't remember too much; I remember this band was going to open up for us and the guitarist was good. Of course he was goo; he listened to everything Edward played. He played everything Edward played. [laughs] I just remember they all looked pretty boyish. They had all the real nice styled haircuts. I don't know if they had any makeup back then. No matter what the competition was back then, we never really took it that much to heart. When we're onstage whether we're opening up or headlining, to us, we're headlining.

Of course this interview was in 1986 and Mike was still very much a member of the band, so he was towing the party line regarding Randy. I'd be interested to know if he'd remember things differently now that he's not in Ed's shadow.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Good find. It would be interesting to see what he would say today. I think when mike was on that metal show they asked him about satriani's playing to eddie's .
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Geo Sav wrote:when mike was on that metal show they asked him about satriani's playing to eddie's .
...and what did he answer? :)
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

He said that Eddie doesn't have music theory knowledge. He stumbles on a chord and says this sounds good. Where as joe would play the chord and say this is a D7b9+5.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Funny, 'cause Ed did take music theory in college...
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Ed does not know how to read or write music. He studied piano and said he had perfect pitch and used to memorize the music. How far did he get in college? that's news to me that he graduated from music school.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

I read that he took advanced music at some Pasadena music college(dont know if he graduated) and had to write all kinds of classical music scores.I know one thing,Ed rides circles around vai and satriani as far as memorable technical playing and music goes :)

Equation: Chickenfoot+G3=Valium
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Bold statement. Eddie is a fantastic guitar player for sure.