Concorde v. Polka-dot V

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

distortionplus
Cool Member

Concorde v. Polka-dot V

Post by distortionplus »

I know I'm probably covering ground already covered somewhere on this board, but Randy's guitars intrigue me. He obviously preferred his Les Paul because it's played on the most songs, yet his tremelo equipted guitars seem to have left a big impression on his fans.

The Polka-dot V despite it's tuning problems must have really been loved by Randy. I have often wondered why if the PDV had tuning issues and was a pain why he played it instead of the Concorde. Were they that much difference in sound?

When I think of his guitars I always think of the PDV as his signature guitar for some reason, although the Les Paul may appear in more photos of him. Another thing I have wondered is the Jackson RR he recieved shortly before he was killed was a non tremelo guitar. If he was so interested in leaving Ozzy/Metal then why have such exotic guitars built. They only seem to fit well in the Metal/Heavy Rock genres. I would prefer to own a high quality PDV of some type or RR LP over a Jackson RR.
BowTie29
Cool Member

Re: Concorde v. Polka-dot V

Post by BowTie29 »

The Concorde's body met too high on the fret board leaving him reaching very far for the higher frets making it harder for him to play solos on it which I think is a big reason for the PDV. I think that he had the Jacksons for a few reasons. One, he wanted to be different from everyone else so he had them made so that he would be known as different. Another is because he wanted to study classical but would have still played rock as he was interested in studio/guest performance offers in different genres as well as everyone close to him has said that they think he would have engineered his university classical knowledge with his rock to form a neo classical unlike any heard today. My last point is that you can use any guitar for any genre and although some are seen a suited for certain ones he could have used his V for blues or jazz or whatever.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I think it was more of a gimmick for turning heads while being on stage. When Randy was in Quiet Riot he only had the one LP guitar. Then to go with his polka dot image and stage clothes the PDV was made. So it was a continuation of his taste in stage clothes. Many guitarists have done this and it does get the crowd talking. When your guitar is a run of the mill off the rack guitar, somewhat boring. So the invention of the first Jackson became a talking point with the fans and onto the black Jackson for the reasons mentioned above and being used for only a couple of songs in the set. I think EVH was very much the same in his style of guitars with his Frankenstrat etc.
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

I don't know about the polka dot tuning problems exactly, but if I recall correctly he dropped it once and the neck broke and had to be repaired. Also the tremolo on it might not have been that good? Could someone confirm this?
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

I didn't notice before the Concorde body being in the way at the upper frets. You learn something new everyday. I also agree with the idea the look of his guitars might have been more for his stage look. Makes sense. Although To me the PDV just seems like a guitar made to rip it up on. An additude thing I guess.

I've always considered the Les Paul to be the stradivarius of electric guitars despite it's basic look. I have yet to own one though. I really like the ZW custom V minus the Bullseye paint job, but the almost $5,000 dollar price tag is just nuts. Les Paul customs are also outrageous new and used. Guitars have just gotten way to expensive.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Stewie wrote:I don't know about the polka dot tuning problems exactly, but if I recall correctly he dropped it once and the neck broke and had to be repaired. Also the tremolo on it might not have been that good? Could someone confirm this?
His trem unit was a bog standard one taking from a Fender strat.
One thing i can remember is seeing photos of Randy during his spotlight solo and he was using the PDV. I don't know if this was only done on the odd occasion as the LP was his choice of guitar during that part of the show. Did he ever use his Jackson's during his solo spot ?.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

as far as I remember, the PDV didn't have a trussrod :shock:

Anyone else notice that the control-layout resembles the LP? ;)
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

If he was so interested in leaving Ozzy/Metal then why have such exotic guitars built.
I think this whole 'he was getting out of playing rock' is a myth built over time.

Perhaps it was what he said to get out of a situation he wasn't enjoying - Ozzy. He hated the craziness of the O's, but he didn't seem to mind performing those songs. Look at the emotion on that kid's face in the photos of him performing. He wasn't faking that. He was enjoying playing those songs.

The guy went out of his way to look like a rock star.

Fussy about his hair, his clothes, his guitars... talented enough to play whatever he wanted, I don't think he intended to stop rocking.

My opinion only.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

shred1 wrote:
If he was so interested in leaving Ozzy/Metal then why have such exotic guitars built.
I think this whole 'he was getting out of playing rock' is a myth built over time.

Perhaps it was what he said to get out of a situation he wasn't enjoying - Ozzy. He hated the craziness of the O's, but he didn't seem to mind performing those songs. Look at the emotion on that kid's face in the photos of him performing. He wasn't faking that. He was enjoying playing those songs.

The guy went out of his way to look like a rock star.

Fussy about his hair, his clothes, his guitars... talented enough to play whatever he wanted, I don't think he intended to stop rocking.

My opinion only.

I agree with you on this. I think Randy was looking for an "out", and rather than say "Ozzy, I'm sick of you", it was a lot more respectful to say he wanted to continue on with his classical guitar interests and would be leaving the band.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I think Randy was tired of the lifestyle of Ozzy and being on the road. Quiet Riot never toured, they payed in a relatively small area for the duration of Randy's time with them. When he got in with Ozzy, it was non-stop touring and being away from his family. He was a homebody and wanted to go home.

I believe he'd have gone to school, kept teaching and recorded music around his schedule.

As for the guitars, Randy was flamboyant... hence the V with a unique paint job and then a couple guitars that were radical for their time... I've read that he didn't care for either Jackson compared to his Les Paul because they were too difficult to play sitting down. They were stage guitars, built to look cool.
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
Stewie wrote:I don't know about the polka dot tuning problems exactly, but if I recall correctly he dropped it once and the neck broke and had to be repaired. Also the tremolo on it might not have been that good? Could someone confirm this?
His trem unit was a bog standard one taking from a Fender strat.
One thing i can remember is seeing photos of Randy during his spotlight solo and he was using the PDV. I don't know if this was only done on the odd occasion as the LP was his choice of guitar during that part of the show. Did he ever use his Jackson's during his solo spot ?.
No, he only used the PDv. He used the term bar, so that x out the les Paul... He had the PDv for blizzard and had the Concorde for diary songs. Since he recorded fiary half a step down, he left that guitar like that..hence y he used certain guitars for songs throughout his ozzy career.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Shred1 That is something I had never considered - great points!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

We will never know, but I concur I don't think he was going to quit even metal his style fit the genre to well. I have heard the keyboard driven rock comment and don't see that happening either. Would not doubt the guest apperances though.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

is it possible that he would've gone the Vai/Satriani route?
...you know, beeing a solo performer but touring on his own premises 8)
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Maybe he'd have become a session guy behind the scenes...?