Concorde v. Polka-dot V

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

The Flying Dutchman

Re: Concorde v. Polka-dot V

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

shred1 wrote:
If he was so interested in leaving Ozzy/Metal then why have such exotic guitars built.
I think this whole 'he was getting out of playing rock' is a myth built over time.

Perhaps it was what he said to get out of a situation he wasn't enjoying - Ozzy. He hated the craziness of the O's, but he didn't seem to mind performing those songs. Look at the emotion on that kid's face in the photos of him performing. He wasn't faking that. He was enjoying playing those songs.

The guy went out of his way to look like a rock star.

Fussy about his hair, his clothes, his guitars... talented enough to play whatever he wanted, I don't think he intended to stop rocking.

My opinion only.
Pretty much my thoughts on this as well.
Also I think especially with Ozzy he still had plenty of room to throw in some classical influences. Hence "Revelation Mother Earth" and "Diary of a Madman", I don't think he would have that freedom in Iron Maiden, Saxon or Quiet Riot. Imo the Ozzy band at that time was the perfect band for Randy to develop his style and skills to the fullest. I think he was just getting tired of being in that 'circus' and not having enough time to study....
He may have continued with Ozzy if a lighter tour schedule was possible, of course we can only speculate.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

I agree 100% that him quitting rock has built up over time. Yes he wanted to go to school and get a masters or whatever, but after that you can just he would have been itching to come back. Especially once the glam metal of the 80's hit. He would have fit in perfect.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Shockwave wrote:I agree 100% that him quitting rock has built up over time. Yes he wanted to go to school and get a masters or whatever, but after that you can just he would have been itching to come back. Especially once the glam metal of the 80's hit. He would have fit in perfect.
I would of loved to have seen RR rejoin Quiet Riot and have the glory of having a #1 album with the band. As he did feel like he was never going to break out with that band. Plus i think he would of made the Metal Health album even better with his sound etc. No disrespect to Carlos Cavazo. I could just picture Randy on stage at the US Fest '83 he would of loved to have been there.
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

His first Jackson was heavy for him. A heavy guitar + rocking out on stage= very annoying. And yea, fretboard ran up the body to much. You need to play the frets up there like a 14 stringed bass :D Anyways, I heard the PDV had tuning problems. I have one (Don't how much it replicates the original) but it's bulky, but not heavy. It's not like puny Les Paul, it's like big giant :D Anyway, I think both were great for Randy to have because I don't think too many people had seen guitars like his before. Once I saw the PDV, when I was 8 and seeing Randy for the first time, I remembered him as "The guy with the polka dot guitar"...
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

my concorde tribute replica is pretty heavy. body is ALOT bigger of the newer style rhoads jackson
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

My Gibson V (80's) which is a '58 reissue is a super light body. If you let go of the neck the headstock would crash to the ground. The neck and tuners are heavier than the body but Randy's did have a tremolo so the wood would have to be heavier or denser to keep the springs from ripping out of a lighter wood. Les Paul's are not puny. They weigh a ton! I can't believe a guy his size could wield that and rock out like he did.