Was Randy.......?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Re: Was Randy.......?

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

LOL. You're killing me dmnjr!! :lol: :lol:
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

dmnjr wrote:
He tagged Sharon also
Grounds for bestiality if you ask me.

I don't view Randy in a sexual manner. He was just one hell of a guitarist who's playing, mystique and legend molded me into the musician I became. Everything else is non-essential background clutter. I'm a grown man, married and with two kids, but he was my hero growing up...regardless of his sexual orientation or state of mortality.
Gee whiz, and I thought the topic was bad enough LOL!
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
CaliforniaModern1

Post by CaliforniaModern1 »

Okay, it's time to put this nonsense to rest. No, Randy was NOT gay. My family and the Rhoads family were pretty close. My sister, Lisa was Dave Roth's girlfriend since the days when Van Halen was playing teen centers as "Mammoth". Jodi Raskin was her best friend. They designed some of Van Halen's stage attire. They also designed stage attire for my band, "The Bings". Jodi and Randy really loved each other. You can take THAT to the bank. She'd been on Ozzy's tour with Randy, but left before they went to Florida. Everybody loved Jodi. She's an absolute sweetheart, and she and Randy were engaged to be married. What many people may not know is, not only was Randy not gay - he attended church every Sunday he could. His mom convinced him to audition for Ozzy. Randy planned to quit after the tour and enroll at UCLA or USC (can't remember which). His passion was to become a great classical guitarist. I have no doubt he would have achieved his goal. I don't know why you'd want to entertain these absurd rumors, when all you had to do was contact his brother, Doug (aka Kelle Rhoads). He's not impossible to find online, y'know. Randy worked so hard to please you with his music. Don't tarnish his name. Not condemning the gay life - but Randy just wasn't gay. He was simply a good man who loved his family, his music, and Jodi. Peace.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

CaliforniaModern1 wrote:Okay, it's time to put this nonsense to rest.
Wasn't this nonsense pretty well at rest, seeing as how the last post prior to yours was over a year ago?
CaliforniaModern1 wrote:My sister, Lisa was Dave Roth's girlfriend since the days when Van Halen was playing teen centers as "Mammoth". Jodi Raskin was her best friend.
Hmm... so tell us about Jodi and Kevin, just to back up what you say about your sister being a 'best friend'.
CaliforniaModern1 wrote:Jodi and Randy really loved each other. You can take THAT to the bank. She'd been on Ozzy's tour with Randy, but left before they went to Florida. Everybody loved Jodi. She's an absolute sweetheart, and she and Randy were engaged to be married.
Common knowledge that everyone here is aware of.
CaliforniaModern1 wrote:What many people may not know is, not only was Randy not gay - he attended church every Sunday he could.
Again, discussed here at length over the years, common knowledge. By the way, being gay and going to church are not mutually exclusive, y'know.
CaliforniaModern1 wrote:His mom convinced him to audition for Ozzy...
Not a revelation.
CaliforniaModern1 wrote:Randy planned to quit after the tour and enroll at UCLA or USC (can't remember which). His passion was to become a great classical guitarist...
It was UCLA.
CaliforniaModern1 wrote:I don't know why you'd want to entertain these absurd rumors, when all you had to do was contact his brother, Doug (aka Kelle Rhoads)... Randy worked so hard to please you with his music. Don't tarnish his name. Not condemning the gay life - but Randy just wasn't gay.
These 'absurd ideas' are entertained by people who weren't around for or don't 'get' the glam movement in rock. MANY glam-era performers had an effeminate vibe, regardless of how straight they were. Had Randy's only image been the leather-clad Ozzy guitarist, the subject wouldn't come up. However, he wore glam style clothing offstage during the Quiet Riot years, so for those unfamiliar with glam, the question isn't absurd.

So, if you are "not condemning the gay life," then why would the subject "tarnish" Randy's name? Rob Halford was the voice of metal for many, many years. Judas Priest gave metal it's image. Guess what? Rob was gay the whole time! Does that diminish Priest? Nope.

Look, for your first post here you sure got your panties in a bunch. And, for the record, anyone can get online and claim a relative as someone 'in-the-know'. I could easily explain how Delores Rhoads is my mom's 2nd cousin and how Randy taught me to string up and tune my guitar when I was nine and he and his mom came to visit us that summer. It wouldn't be even remotely true, but I could still claim it.

So, welcome to UR, hope you can contribute and I hope you understand how your first post could come across as questionable.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Ive heard this before, anyway i never thought he was gay .Mick Ronson wasnt either , or Marc Bolan as far as i know and they pretty much dressed the same way a bit earlier on...
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

mojopin70 wrote:Ive heard this before, anyway i never thought he was gay. Mick Ronson wasn't either, or Marc Bolan as far as I know and they pretty much dressed the same way a bit earlier on...
Exactly!
meadsie

Post by meadsie »

Dear god..

What questions are going to appear next?

Were his eyes really blue or was it contact lenses? It is true he had 6 fingers on his right hand? I heard that Randy used to wipe his nose with a handkerchief - I know its true because my wife's 2nd cousin twice removed told me so...

I very rarely contribute on here, I visit daily but recently the topics that are being started and argued about are beyond belief.

Why does everyone have to argue? Why are just irrelevant questions about Randy being asked?

We should be on here sharing our mutual love for him as a guitar player and the legacy he left behind - not such absurd topics like this.

The accident argument will never cease - the truth is the only three people who knew what happened are dead. NO ONE else knows the truth and never will.
RIP to all of them - yes including AA.

You can see why there are only a small number of regular posters on here now, yes, I know we are trying to keep his legacy going but topics like this are insane.

IS it really going to help remember Randy Rhoads? No. Only his playing will do that.

Feel free to attack me on this post, I have only said my mind and my opinion no doubt someone will.

This board over the years has lost important people who could have told us more into the insight of Randy, but they now due to the grief they get have gone.

One example is Frank. Randy's very good friend, student and knew him like none of us EVER did. Gone - due to the way he gets shot down.

I have huge respect for Frank, and I also respect all users on this forum. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Halo, TA, Paul W , Trigger - I respect the lot of you. - don't always agree! But still respect you nonetheless.

We aren't helping the Legacy Of Randy anymore. Take a step back for a minute and think why is nothing ever released? Why do the Rhoads' family keep everything to their chest?

Thought about it?. Who can blame them .

Wow - my opinion of Randy has now escalated hugely because he might have been gay... FFS.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

meadsie wrote:Dear god..

What questions are going to appear next?

Were his eyes really blue or was it contact lenses? It is true he had 6 fingers on his right hand? I heard that Randy used to wipe his nose with a handkerchief - I know its true because my wife's 2nd cousin twice removed told me so...

I very rarely contribute on here, I visit daily but recently the topics that are being started and argued about are beyond belief.

Why does everyone have to argue? Why are just irrelevant questions about Randy being asked?

We should be on here sharing our mutual love for him as a guitar player and the legacy he left behind - not such absurd topics like this.

The accident argument will never cease - the truth is the only three people who knew what happened are dead. NO ONE else knows the truth and never will.
RIP to all of them - yes including AA.

You can see why there are only a small number of regular posters on here now, yes, I know we are trying to keep his legacy going but topics like this are insane.

IS it really going to help remember Randy Rhoads? No. Only his playing will do that.

Feel free to attack me on this post, I have only said my mind and my opinion no doubt someone will.

This board over the years has lost important people who could have told us more into the insight of Randy, but they now due to the grief they get have gone.

One example is Frank. Randy's very good friend, student and knew him like none of us EVER did. Gone - due to the way he gets shot down.

We aren't helping the Legacy Of Randy anymore. Take a step back for a minute and think why is nothing ever released? Why do the Rhoads' family keep everything to their chest?

Wow - my opinion of Randy has now escalated hugely because he might have been gay... FFS.

Im sorry but there is ONLY a limited amount of subjects and info that can be discussed about Randy Rhoads because he died at 25 years of age and many things have been discussed and brought back from " the dead" to be discussed again.

I suggest you read Bobs book if you want some new info on the part of Rhoads`s history that to me is the most important in his career.

Apart from that chance meetings, etc people who knew him, facts you can find most of it online.

I even by accident came across a guy somewhere who met Randy in a music store in the states and told me the whole story which was complete luck and i shared that story here...In fact ill post it again NOW.

Some people have repeated certain stories and info because as i have just said :) there is only so much that can be discussed about Randy Rhoads since he only lived to the age of 25 and died in 1982!!! So dont expect some new site to pop up tomorrow with loads of " new" people telling " new" stories because it aint going to happen just be happy with what youve got.

I was just hanging out in the bookstore, not really finding anything worth reading, so I went to the music section, and started checking out different rock star bios at that time--Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, people like that--and after about an hour, someone walked up and started thumbing through sheet music. It turned out to be Randy. It was funny, because I thought he was somebody's kid, because he was so small physically, and with all that hair hanging down in a mane, well, you know. My family is a bunch of readers and music lovers, so I had gone to the store with them, and was just really looking for something to buy. I was thinking like, a collection of Edgar Allan Poe's stories, something like that. But when that didn't happen, I went to the music part, and Randy came along afterward. I think I was looking at a history of music in cinema and where it was going in the 20th Century, and once I saw a hand pick up one of Paganini's scores, I looked up and back out of the way. Let it never be said I would get in the way of someone wanting to explore music, you know. When I made my comment about Beethoven, he started right up, slow at first, but willing to talk. And he was a really bright guy, he talked about scores and guitar scales, how Bach was not nearly appreciated enough(You do have to remember this was in 1981.), or at least to Randy he wasn't. He made a comment about Bach and pentatonics on the guitar as a theory, but he didn't like Van Halen doing it. He was a fan of Eddie's, true enough, but he didn't like how Eddie abused Bach's structures on his guitar.

That's actually the funny part of it all, because I didn't know WHO Randy was until the day after the concert, when I picked up a review of the concert and saw him in the picture, standing in the middle with Ozzy. That was hilarious to me at the time. I kept trying to imagine it, I was talking to a world-renown rock star in a book store a couple of days before and I didn't even know who he was??? I can only laugh now.

I heard about the accident like everybody else did at the time, on MTV. I mean, news about the accident was everywhere. It was no great secret. It was all over the local news channels, cable, I mean everywhere! And when I heard Randy had been killed as well as others, I thought to myself, "I met that guy last year. I TALKED to that guy last year!" They kept running footage of the scene where it happened, and they had interviews with Ozzy and Sharon, and you could just see how devastated he was. I mean, the poor guy looked like he'd just had a building fall on him! I still remember that very clearly.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
meadsie

Post by meadsie »

I agree with you - Bob's book is fantastic :)
meadsie

Post by meadsie »

Mojopin70

- I have been performing, teaching and studying music ( Top Music college in the UK) all of my life ( since the age of 6 - yes 35 years ago...) and like you - I wasn't in a book store though, I was in a library at the age of 16 and saw the cover to Tribute - thought who was that? what a strange picture! Took the Cassette home (Those were the days) and never looked back.
Whenever I could in my Classroom Music lessons (11 to 18year olds) Randy was introduced. There has never been a pupil who has studied music to A LEVEL and above that do not know who Randy Rhoads is!! Why are we listening to Ozzy Osbourne sir? lol ...
I know there is limited info and over the years I have read it all! (Well that is available anyway) - I just find questions about Is Randy gay? Just that step too far....
Peace
Richard
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

meadsie wrote:Halo, TA, Paul W , Trigger - I respect the lot of you. - don't always agree! But still respect you nonetheless.
Thank You.
meadsie wrote:Take a step back for a minute and think why is nothing ever released? Why do the Rhoads' family keep everything to their chest?

I agree, I've been saying that for years. I recall a year or more ago saying just that and being answered with, "Who cares what his family thinks?"
meadsie wrote:This board over the years has lost important people who could have told us more into the insight of Randy, but they now due to the grief they get have gone.

I have huge respect for Frank...
I couldn't agree more. I consider Frank to be a dear friend and feel that it's a shame that he no longer posts here much.
meadsie wrote:Feel free to attack me on this post, I have only said my mind and my opinion no doubt someone will.
99% 0f the time I get attacked for my view by at least someone... it's nothing to worry about.
meadsie wrote:What questions are going to appear next?
Two things to keep in mind: 1) This was originally posted in April of 2012, so it's not a recent query, and 2) Ozzy asked Randy this very question in 1979 to which Randy responded, "No, I'm Church of England."

As I said, younger fans (and Sepheratta is definitely a younger fan) don't understand the glam era and view things through the filter of current societal views.

To quote Frank:
frank wrote:
Sepheratta wrote:...My mom thinks that he was gay, but I keep telling her there was no evidence of him being gay. She watched this video and she said it looked like Randy and Kevin were "flirting". I denied it and told Kevin was just being annoying, but she insisted.
nope. mom's wrong. tell her to look up 'flamboyant' and 'effeminate' and compare the different meanings. Randy was indeed flamboyant in his manner of dress. this was true even off the clock.

i'd show up at his mom's house and he'd look like he was ready to go onstage. instead, i took him to the grocery store because his car was broke down. again.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Oh, and to play devil's advocate: If new information/material were released by Randy's family, there'd be something new to talk about...
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

meadsie wrote:Mojopin70

- I have been performing, teaching and studying music ( Top Music college in the UK) all of my life ( since the age of 6 - yes 35 years ago...) and like you - I wasn't in a book store though, I was in a library at the age of 16 and saw the cover to Tribute - thought who was that? what a strange picture! Took the Cassette home (Those were the days) and never looked back.
Whenever I could in my Classroom Music lessons (11 to 18year olds) Randy was introduced. There has never been a pupil who has studied music to A LEVEL and above that do not know who Randy Rhoads is!! Why are we listening to Ozzy Osbourne sir? lol ...
I know there is limited info and over the years I have read it all! (Well that is available anyway) - I just find questions about Is Randy gay? Just that step too far....
Peace
Richard

I remember in my music class in secondary school around 1987 i brought Tribute on tape to school and our dear old school teacher " Mrs Mullins" r.i.p played it to the whole class from start to finish, i was so proud some of my classmates loved that type of music anyway. But thinking back now, it mustve been so clear that the guy had classical influences she didnt look up once from her desk complain or turn it down....

Randy Rhoads could even charm an old school classical music teacher lol