Delores Rhoads says Randy fans need to get a life!!

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Re: Delores Rhoads says Randy fans need to get a life!!

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Paul,

In the UK (and other countries outside of the U.S) 'TBBT' translates very well 8)

The fan base (including me) not only 'get it' - but love the show very much :). Over a million people tune in every week, which isn't bad when you consider the size of the UK is c.65 million - and - it isn't even shown on one of our main channels - (but one a little further down the dial lol)

http://www.radiotimes.com/programme/n85 ... ang-theory

I think it's success is because interest in sci fi, superheros, science; not to mention social awkwardness (especially Sheldon's obvious autistic behaviour - Parsons has acknowledged this in earlier interviews) are all something that aren't an American thing; but a world wide thing! When you watch it, it could be set anywhere. I have met guys like that from all nationalities :)

I would say something like Mike and Molly fits your description of a show made primarily for an American audience, but even so, many people still love that too!

Matt
Last edited by Cpt Matt Sparrow on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Some shows like TBBT do a massive service to people getting inspired too...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/201 ... ysics-boom
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Thanks for your point of view, Matt.

I agree with you about it the sci fi, superhero, social awkwardness aspect. They are very good at accurately portraying a specific group of individuals! Recently I took my wife and sons to a comic book store and they were amazed at how well the TV show portrayed exactly what they saw in this shop!
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

LOL - I just wish they would do a comicon episode :) BTW here is me with David Prowse (Darth Vadar the body not the voice LOL) several months back at a London Comicon - it was awesome!

Paul,

For your enjoyment (I love paraphrasing this line)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK6oGi5g4QE

Matt
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Well, I think comedy in general is on a bit of a downer these days, British comedy included. And that goes for cinema releases as much as TV.

In the last couple of years the only thing that stands out in my mind is 'Outnumbered' (which imo is brilliant) and 'My family' (which ran it's course and probably should have been cancelled years earlier). 'Mrs Brown's boys is pretty good', feels more like an old stand up routine, I haven't seen too much of it though. As for American shows, I watched my share of 'Scrubs' and 'How I met your mother', back when I was at uni. I loved Scrubs until I discovered each new season simply recycled the same plot - then I got bored and fell asleep :lol: I liked the concept of 'HIMYM' at first, but after a couple of episodes it felt like a mediocre remake of friends :?

Recently I've seen a couple of new shows, most are bad enough that I can't even remember what they were. But I do remember 'Stella' because it was nauseatingly bad :|

Probably worth mentioning that when I watch a show I notice things that the average viewer wouldn't notice, and have a very altered view of media in general; thats the by product of studying TV for five years :lol: So unfortunately 'TBBT' induces rage in me!

As it happens I am currently working on two comedy series for web only release, when they start "airing" I'll let you guys know and you may pan them at your discretion :D

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Rob,

I always enjoy seeing your work and look forward to the comedy clips! 8)

WTF - Outnumbered... My Family!!! 'Ewww' both twee, predictable...ahh forget it -

In short; thank the good lord we're all different! 8)

Matt
Last edited by Cpt Matt Sparrow on Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Cpt Matt Sparrow wrote:Paul,

For your enjoyment (I love paraphrasing this line)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK6oGi5g4QE

Matt
I can just picture you quoting that line to a student!

BTW... there was a comicon here 2 weeks ago, I couldn't justify the $60 gate fee to get in...
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

rice_pudding wrote:Probably worth mentioning that when I watch a show I notice things that the average viewer wouldn't notice, and have a very altered view of media in general; thats the by product of studying TV for five years :lol: So unfortunately 'TBBT' induces rage in me!
Much like a classically trained guitarist dissecting rock guitar playing I suppose...
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

OUCH!!!!!!!!lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

^ :mrgreen:
Paul Wolfe wrote:
BTW... there was a comicon here 2 weeks ago, I couldn't justify the $60 gate fee to get in...
$60!! :shock: here it was about £12 ($20) - Matt Smith (Dr Who) was there, as well as Ed Furlong from the Terminator, plus other 'celebrities' such R2 D2 and even Gredo LOL! Gredo (like his name alludes I guess) wanted £20 just for an autograph! See what happens when they attain stardom LMAO!!!!

Re 'dissecting' - I would honestly say that of all the musicians I have met; the most analytical bunch have been rock guitarists! Not just with theory, but with all the various belief systems involving gear they buy into too (yawn :roll: :D ).

I rather like Miles Davis' “Master your instrument, Master the music, and then forget all that bullshit and just play" - that goes for a lot of stuff, not just music :fish:

Matt
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Cpt Matt Sparrow wrote:Rob,

I always enjoy seeing your work and look forward to the comedy clips! 8)

WTF - Outnumbered... My Family!!! 'Ewww' both twee, predictable...ahh forget it -

In short; thank the good lord we're all different! 8)

Matt

Outnumbered sells it to me because of the kids perspective, but I know what you mean about the adult characters... well, the less they say the better, that dude is one of my least favourite actors. But really it's the only thing that left an impression on me in the last few years.

Predictable seems a harsh criticism though, surely all comedy is predictable!? What do you think?

I was on set last week filming another three episodes for the web series I mentioned. I believe it should be released within 3 weeks. It's a bit hit and miss, but some of it is laugh out laud brilliant. Coincidentally we were filming a 'geek' scene involving dungeons and dragons! For the record I am the camera assistant, not script writer. I'm very much looking forward to the seeing what we end up with, and look forward to your critique :wink: Hopefully it will make you laugh.

This topic really has nothing to do with RR, but it's interesting regardless. Perhaps the mods would consider moving it the off topic section and renaming it the comedy thread??? :idea:

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
rice_pudding wrote:Probably worth mentioning that when I watch a show I notice things that the average viewer wouldn't notice, and have a very altered view of media in general; thats the by product of studying TV for five years :lol: So unfortunately 'TBBT' induces rage in me!
Much like a classically trained guitarist dissecting rock guitar playing I suppose...
Sort of. I don't buy into the theory these days. To an extent it's bullshit, and I think art is a concept high-jacked by pretentious dicks! Matt's Miles Davis comment is right on the money, many of the best Jazz guys said the same.

But I can't help that it's ingrained in my mind! It's just automatic now, I suppose I can't really enjoy TV in a conventional sense any-more. Maybe we could say TBBT is like sending a food critic to MacDonalds :lol: Millions of people love it, and in some ways it's ok, but that wont stop the ciritic drawing up a list of flaws.

p.s. lets think of some more daft analogies

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Cpt Matt Sparrow wrote:LOL - I just wish they would do a comicon episode :) BTW here is me with David Prowse (Darth Vadar the body not the voice LOL)
Matt
No i believe that to be the Green Cross Code man it looks nothing like Luke Skywalkers dad. My young paddaone, now get a life and an anorak LOL!!!